I used to think first grade teachers....

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by shouldbeasleep, Sep 29, 2007.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2007

I used to think that first grade teachers had the hardest job, but these last few years have made me rethink that. I'm not sure I've got another fifth grade year in me. Love the kids, the curriculum is OK, but I am dead worn-out and so stressed with the expectations that ...
    I can get every child to pass the state end-of-elementary school test (retention if they don't), and meet AYP, and get them to pass the state writing test at some ridiculous level, and make them come to school, and meet with every parent so many times per year, and take off students who are on "remedial" lists because they'd have to hire another teacher, and please teach right up to the last minute of the day, give them their DIBELS tests, you're late on turning in the results, and why aren't your standards posted, and we have to meet to compare your students' scores on the standardized test with the other teachers on your team, and no, all classes are even even though it just looks like there are 15 gifted in one class and 1 in another, and yes you have to teach volcanoes at the same time as Civil War, and so-and-so's parents want you to send two copies of everything from now on because they are divorcing and can't communicate, here's a few more ESL students, yes they are taking the test without modifications, please take all speech artic students off the list because we won't be providing them with services that are medical in nature anymore, where are your lesson plans, and please remember no down time because 5 minutes every day adds up some blah blah number every week, and blah blah number every month.....

I was thinking about becoming a cookie maker last night. I could sell them at the local convenience store--you know, those little baskets they put on the counter.....

Any other ideas on how to make money?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2007

shouldbeasleep, I'm sorry that you are starting to feel this way. I know districts are starting to put a lot of pressure on their teachers to make students successful with no other help then themselves and some limited resources. You could always buy into vending machines.

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Sep 30, 2007

ha... i was just talking to my boyfriend about my options for next year! coincidentally, i have taught first grade and am now teaching fifth! i think i could go into business making cutesy graphic organizers and baking cakes on the weekends... plus i'd be a pretty awesome babysitter!

5. cdorey13

cdorey13 Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Ha ha! SHOULDBEASLEEP, I know that you were venting but I absolutely LOVED it and couldn't agree MORE!!! I taught 1st last year and 6th this year, I wouldn't say that either one is MORE work than the other... they both have ALL of those STUPID requirements!!! This is only my 6th year of teaching and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE teaching but man, all this "No Child Left Behind... No Teacher Left Standing" stuff is soooooooo true! I have decided that the only way I can BE SURE that No Child IS left behind is if I take them all home and raise them myself! LOL! There is only so much that is in our control and only so much time in the day and yet we still kill ourselves trying to make it ALL happen! Good luck this year! Have a glass of wine! I'd buy if I was closer! : )

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 1, 2007

This perfectly described my day...

7. MWMnElmed

MWMnElmed Companion

Oct 1, 2007

Not trying to continue with the negativity, but is this really where public education is going? I mean really. I left the corporate world to teach and feel like I can help students that have lost hope in themselves and with NCLB I am told to leave those students behind because they are too far below the cut scores to save, focus on the ones that can help the DISTRICTS over all scores. Are you kidding?

8. smalltowngal

Oct 1, 2007

A teacher needs to run for president!!

9. shouldbeasleep

Oct 2, 2007

I actually started crying today in the principal's office after a team meeting. I think I just felt overloaded. He told me to take Friday after 12:00 off; he'd find someone to cover my class, all for free. Monday is a holiday so I think I'll head for the ocean for a bit of r and r, or try out the new spa in the next town over. I really love our principal. He's under the gun, too.

My son works at a video store. He told me to get a job in fast food, and then we'd have our vital needs covered...food and entertainment!

10. smalltowngal

Oct 2, 2007

I'm glad that your principal is so understanding and willing to work with you especially since he's under pressure too. Hit the beach Fri-Sun, and the spa on Mon.

11. shouldbeasleep

Oct 14, 2007

mmm. Had a facial yesterday. Worth every minute. I have no idea if the wrinkles are dewrinkling, but I know my mind is!

12. mommyre

mommyre Comrade

Oct 14, 2007

I just want to say that one of my professors refers to NO Child Left Behind as No Child Left to Hide! It's a great Idea, on paper, but how do they expect teachers to reach every child in every testing situation, teach and deal with the other day to day issues without burnout? I don't know how it is where you all are but there are only aides here K-2 and Sp. Ed. and an occasional 3rd, or 3-5 floater IF the school is lucky. The only classes that don't share are K and Sp. Ed. Why is it the grades that are tested the most do not have Assistants, but it seems everyone else does? K-2 teachers have it hard too, but geez we are TEACHERS not SUPER HEROES!

13. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 15, 2007

You know if it wasn't for the little money that is payed out I would totally stay an aide. Only because I love being that person the teacher can lean on. I did it for about 2 years and loved it. When i retire i will do that. Along with being a surpervisor for student teachers. They too need so much much compassion and encouragement.
    I hoped you enjoyed your facial honey.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 15, 2007

I love 5th grade. I really do, but I feel like I'm losing my mind. today when I called about my reimbursement check for a conference I attended they said they never received the paper work which made me wonder if I had ever sent home last week's spelling words (test is tomorrow). I know I forgot to post them online, but I could have sworn I sent the words home....I think. And today I lost it because they were all talking instead of listening AGAIN. I don't know what needs to happen first, a good cry, a good night's sleep, or a good margarita. sigh

15. shouldbeasleep

Oct 19, 2007

We had our Fall Festival tonight and one of things teachers were supposed to do last week was create a grade level scarecrow to display during the Festival. Since we were so swamped with other things, we kept putting it off. Yesterday afternoon we were standing around after school and starting laughing/crying about what we should do. We finally scrambled together an idea, and it was perfect.

We took a decorative pumpkin head and attached all these wires to it, coming out it's eyes, mouth, taped on top, and glued to the sides. We had extra computer cables, red, blue, gray, rusted, big, little wires, and all mostly frayed at the end. Attached to each frayed end were little pieces of tape that had phrases like "Learning-Focused Plans Only", "Know your SIP"(school improvement plan), "check IEPs", "post standards", "check attendance records", etc. We ended up with lots and lots of little labels. It was one big tangled mess.

Then we hot glued a gray wig on it and hacked the hair to pieces so it was standing up all over. We put the head on a pile of wires, attached a jumper cable clip to one of the wires and another to a dead battery. Then we made a sign that said "Fifth Grade Teacher has Blown a Fuse."

It was hilarious, especially sitting there among all the cute little scarecrows made by the other teams! (What is it about 5th grade that causes us to do things like this?) We laughed ourselves silly about it.

I'm calling the newspaper tomorrow so they'll take a picture of it. It's almost like I'm daring someone to "write me up".

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 19, 2007

Too funny! I've had a rough week too. I can sympathize. I'd love to see a picture of your scarecrow. Can you post one?

17. smalltowngal

Oct 19, 2007

shouldbe, the scarecrow sounds HILARIOUS!! I would love to see a picture of it. What was the reaction from everyone?

18. shouldbeasleep

Oct 19, 2007

OK. I'll try to get a picture taken of it. The principal laughed when he saw us parading it down to the display area. He was a fifth grade teacher a few years ago. The rest of the school knows we're nuts.

I stayed in my room during most of the Festival so I wouldn't get locked up in the stupid jail every two minutes. Ha ha. This is really funny. Why don't we lock up our teacher? ha ha.

My class was selling Coke and Sprite and water from our window. I had a few students doing the selling, all supervised by a former student who is in high school. I just stayed out of the way and visited with former students and friends and parents and such. Then some of my boys decided to come in and help sell. They started tossing the cans to each other when the customers came up. Of course one dropped and squirted all over the place. The girls yelled at them, I yelled, my high school student let loose with some choice words since she got wet, the parents told them to go get the mop, some of the boys scrambled, and the two main culprits went out the window.

So much fun.

Then I heard that my girls had banded together and had the two boys thrown in the jail. So.... I have evil plans for my gruesome twosome Monday. From what I hear, they are very nervous. I think step one will be to just stare at them when they come in Monday. Stare them right to their seat. Then perhaps something to do with helping the custodian mop.

They really are great boys, straight A's, competitive, and one is the youngest brother of a former favorite student. I know their parents well, so this should make for some fun anticipatory torture on Monday. (I just made that phrase up. I really like it.)
    It's a great way to deal with all the stress....and blown fuses.

19. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 20, 2007

Anticipatory set is an actual term, so why not anticipatory torture? Sounds good to me. Enjoy!