I understand the purpose....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by teacherSMK, Jul 24, 2008.

1. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

of a sensory table, and I have some ideas for mine...but:

How often do you switch out your sensory manipulatives?

How long do your children play at the sensory table?

With how messy some of the stuff recommended for the ST. is, how do you handle the mess? My whole room is carpeted....

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

3. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 25, 2008

I have 2 tables: one inside the classroom and one on the playground.

I fill the playground table with water and messy stuff: mud, dirt, rocks, etc. I fill the classroom table with items with less clean-up: synthetic snow, corn on the cob, shaving cream, farm animals and hay, cotton balls, instant mashed potatoes, etc. I don't have to worry about clean up issues that way.

You can place a shower curtain or a piece of plastic, purchased off the roll at WalMart, to put under your inside table.

I switch the contents every one or two weeks depending when interest wanes.

My children play at the tables during the center time or outdoor time.

I have found the inside table is good for children who have some difficulty integrating into the class or separating from parents at the beginning of the year.

Do a AtoZ search for Sensory Table. A while back someone provided a great list of activities. I keep a copy in my classroom.

4. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

At the beginning of the year, AFTER I've taught scissor skills, I put some scissors (blunt ends) and some teacher catalogs in the sensory table and let them shred away. I just go over the "RULES" and then always keep one eye on them.

I have used rice in my table and then I switch out the "things" to put in it. I have a bunch of vinyl tablecloths with the felt backs on them that I got really cheap on clearance at WalMart. I tape one on the wall behind the table (our walls are cinderblocks) and then under the table. I just pick up the corners and hold it up to gather in all the rice. Then it goes under the table when we're finished. For all the rice that got away, I also have a little hand-held vacuum that the kids LOVE to use to finish cleaning up.

I wish I could have one outside.... it would get stolen or destroyed in our neighborhood.:eek:hmy:

5. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

6. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

tgi1515-could you have a smaller portable one outside that you carry out with you. If the table part would just be too big I have even seen the under the bed trays ontop of a picnic table. Then you can have the best of both worlds. Tables where you need them and the ability to have them gone when you don't need them?

7. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

Mrs. Shelia

I love perpetual preschool i have used that for years. great for training new staff too.

8. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

My room this coming year is a lot smaller than the one I had before, so I don't have room for a regular size sensory table. This year (and a couple of years ago), I'm going to use a small-ish storage container that has a 3-4" deep lid that I can turn upside down on the box. It makes empying water (daily) and anything else easier because it isn't as big as a regular table would be. It's also easier to move around in my smaller room/.

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

Thanks for all the great ideas! I really like the website as well! Thanks again! :wub:

10. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2008

sensory table ideas...

sand
    water
    macaroni
    dirt
    snow
    scraps of construction paper
    styrofoam peanuts
    shaving cream
    rice

add any toys that you can use anywhere in room. Blocks and maniplatives are fair game in my room. Change theme, change the table. Add food coloring, soapy water, etc.

cleaning... every day for water, once a week for others
    safety ... newspaper or tarp under table, stop play when it gets too messy. this is how you teach them to follow directions...stop when it gets out of hand.

2-4 children at table maximun!

If colds, ringworm, pink eye and other illness are lurking around, I cut time down, or cut it out altogether, if I can get away with it. yes, I lie and say it has a leak or something. Nobody will follow up!:unsure:

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

12. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 28, 2008

Thank you all!!! :wub:

13. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008