I turned down a subbing job today....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by McKennaL, Sep 2, 2009.

1. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

...and I KNOW I am going to kick myself all day for it. After all - THIS is what I'll be living on. (Actually... I was shocked when the phone rang. I didn't expect ANY calls for a week or so. So, when the phone rang I was thinking...someone has died or it's my thoughtless, up-at-the-crack-of-dawn-so-why-isn't-everyone ex [same degree of happy] ... nice thought at 6 am.)

I hate subbing. I mean-I do it, I sometimes like it...but as an alternative, I hate it.

I hate that it gives ME a choice..because first thing in the morning..being woken up (especially by a recording that doesn't actually care if i say yes or no) .....I don't WANT to accept ANYTHING.

And my mind races to... I don't have anything to wear (have to get a subbing outfit on the ready and NOT use it for anything else), I have laundry, I think I had an appointment, ...whatever.

Thinking for a moment...

I wish I would have taken it! I hate having a choice... I want to BE there and be expected to be there.

I want to teach...not sub.

*sigh*

3. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

kicking ... kicking... kicking....

I should just get an answering service that says only one word. "YES!" And then calls to say.. "Get up - you're working today!"

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I think all subs have done that a couple of times...
    I didn't like the calls first thing in the morning, but if it was the school that I usually subbed knew the kids & all I would take it every time.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

What if you're ready the night before mentally and with an outfit ready as if you'll be called and if you're not, well then enjoy sleeping in!! ?

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 2, 2009

I know how you feel. When I subbed I usually got called in the evenings and the jobs were for the next day or even the next week. I always grabbed them up. When they called THAT morning I was less likely to say yes. I'm glad I usually had the jobs lined up in advance or I would never have worked LOL

7. andi137

andi137 Companion

Sep 2, 2009

I was exactly the same way when I was subbing. I also was excited to accept the jobs that were the next day or the next week, but when it came to wake up phone calls, it was so hard to get up!!

8. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

Don't feel bad McKenna! I actually turned down the first 3 sub jobs this year! I just wasn't ready! My subfinder calls at 5:40am!!!
    Freaks me out every time. I just took a job that was on the internet for tomorrow and Friday. Much better that way!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 2, 2009

For me I was much more confident and relaxed at the sub job when mentally prepared for it. I was lucky enough to usually be able to book the jobs ahead of time but you never know when they are going to call!

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 2, 2009

It took me a week before I started accepting sub jobs my first year. Like you, I was caught off guard. Remove your foot from your tush!

11. Mrs.Schwartz

Mrs.Schwartz Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I have turned down 3 opportunities on the website that lists the districts jobs so far. Well, "turned down" isn't a good word since I haven't actually clicked the 'decline' button yet.

The first one, I hesitated when I saw it pop up (after the 1000'th refresh) and after staring at the job for 15 seconds, when I went to accept it, someone had already beat me to it.

The second time, after the 10,000'th refresh of the day I must of refreshed the page and then not looked to see if anything came up. 5 minutes later, when I looked at the screen again, I freaked when I saw it, but of course someone had already taken it.

The 3rd one was this morning, and I purposefully let someone else accept it. It was for today (would have to leave immediately) and I was just not prepared for a sub job today. Maybe... next week?

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I'm not comfortable with taking jobs the morning of. I'm fine with the night before, but not the day of and last year I was able to get enough calls earlier that I didn't do the day of calls.

13. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

I'm so nervous about my "morning judgement" that I plan to set my alarm for before the morning subfinder calls, if I don't have jobs stacked up the evening before. Does anyone else do this? My normal wake-up time is 6:45. Maybe I'll just "become" a morning person and get up at 5:45. Bleh.

Also, does anyone have a spouse or partner who gets annoyed by early morning calls? Part of why I'm considering just plain getting up before they come in.

I'm not a big fan of the idea of subbing either but am doing it because I want to get my feet wet teaching other grades, in different settings. And yes, income. Full-time sub-seeker here... not scheduled until October but nervous about the details, like phones ringing before the sun and how grouchy I am right about then, laugh.

What about a recording that says "YES." NOT a bad suggestion, unless you have to punch in your sub number!

14. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

I think every sub has gone through this...

IMO, being a sub is totally different than being a classroom teacher. I sometimes wonder if it's easier for career switchers that are just getting into teaching by subbing or for those that are just subbing because they were laid off. It's hard to go from the role of the classroom teacher to a sub. It's just different. I think this is why it's hard for us at times.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

my gosh...how things change

Ok... I should say something first.

I have a very deep faith. But I DO have a problem understanding ONE thing... the concept of grace.

Where to start...(what even to say)...

A NUMBER of years ago I was involved in a 12 step recovery organization...if you know the 12 steps you might realize that that meant I had some sort of deep DEEP problem in my life. I DID! While going through this recovery I spoke to a number of folks of deep faith. And after talking to this one guy for a while he said.. "McKenna, it seems to me, that YOU don't understand what GRACE is." (No-I had to admit that though I knew it was a churchy word, that I didn't really know it's meaning.) "It means that God loves you no matter what ..JUST BECAUSE you are you, and you are His."

That was VERY tough to accept (still is). I could talk and even teach others on how much He loved THEM ...but ME? No. God was disappointed - and perhaps even disgusted... with ME. I felt He had turned his back on me LONG ago (due to my decisions and actions) and in my shame, I stopped walking alongside Him-telling Him not to look my way-and to keep walking...that I would catch up when I got my act together. After all... I wasn't "clean" enough to be in His presence.

I told this young man this...and he said.."AH, I see. What you are telling me is that YOU are smarter than God. Right? I mean you MUST be...you KNOW that only a FOOL could love you. Thus if God loves you -which He does- then you are calling HIM a fool. Yup. Wow. How cool it must be...to be smarter than God."

And with THAT I was stunned into believing. God loved me...no matter WHAT...simply because He loved ME. I was His..and He loved ME. I couldn't be good enough to deserve it. No-one could. I couldn't BUY His love. No one could pay so high a price. He loved me just for being ME. Warts and all. He loved me.

I say that ...to say this.

I mentioned this morning that I was kicking myself. But that wasn't the WHOLE story. I have been praying for a job. But even MORE so...praying to accept WHATEVER the Lord brought my way (HIS will). And that I could make a difference in the lives of the children that He put into my care (no matter HOW small of a difference I have a chance to make).

Here came the first call (totally unexpected and considering how ridiculously early in the season it was, totally uncalled for)...and I didn't accept it.

I began to think of my prayers...and imagined (once again) God slapping his forehead and turning His back. It was my NOT being thankful-NOT going when called (NOT gladly taking what I prayed for) that upset me the most.

I've been in a slump today.

At 4:00 pm (very early for calls)...I got a subbing call for tomorrow. (Do you know the likelihood of getting called around here two days in a row THIS early...with sub pools overflowing???? This is like being very lucky during the height of FLU SEASON!)

I'm looking upon this as a gift of love and grace.

And I accepted it even before the automated voice could finish the sentence.

Tomorrow...4th grade.

And, in thanks, I'm getting my sub flyers (with my business card) ready tonight to be stuffed in the teachers' mailboxes. I'm taking FULL advantage of the gift.

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

Good luck tomorrow, McKenna!

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Sep 2, 2009

On top of which... you turn it over..and you never KNOW what rewards you'll reep:

I ran to the store to get paper for my sub flyer...and while there I got a call for an interview for a Gen Ed Assistant later in the week.

:) :) :)

18. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

Awesome, McKenna! I love positive spins like that.

19. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2009

Yea! Sounds good McKenna!

20. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Sep 3, 2009

"Day of" jobs are, in my experience, generally chaotic, unpleasant, and devoid of any lesson plan whatsoever. And my two worst experiences subbing were half days where I was asked to pick up another half that wasn't filled. Apparently everyone but me knew not to take that teacher's class. Zoo-like insanity, like watching CNN footage of street riots in a 3rd world country.

I do my best to fill my slots on the web ahead of time. There is a jr high school where I will no longer sub (the one with 7th graders with neck tattoos, someone arrested every time I have been there). Using the web interface allows me to be more choosey.

The question looming in front of me is this: if I finally DO get an offer to teach, would I take it at the Jr High I mentioned above. Would I be willing to get a Xanax prescription for a year and just survive it so I could get the cert? I don't know yet. I'm not starving yet. But my $$$ is running so low subbing that I have an interview this morning for a normal part-time job. I've got to get more cash coming in or I won't have a house by the time I get a teaching job.

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 3, 2009

Fratermus, that's one reason I don't take day of jobs along with they don't give me enough time to mentally prepare. I hope that your PT job interview went well!

22. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 3, 2009

I am requested to sub in classrooms from teachers I have worked with before. They usually let me know in advance.

23. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

Me too! I am still doing my weekly stuff to stay busy and not in the working mindset yet. Gotta start being available!

24. suzerich

suzerich Companion

Sep 5, 2009

I'm surprised no one has mentioned kids. For me to sub, I have to get my son up at least a half hour earlier than normal, to get him to school before I have to be there. That's if I go to one of the schools in my town, if I go to one of the other schools, I have to get him up even earlier. It's such a hassle the morning of, so I didn't take a number of jobs I could have had last year. I also don't take sub jobs off the internet for in advance, because its very difficult to cancel them at a late notice if something comes up, illness, etc.l

25. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

Life happens and it can get in the way of our subbing jobs. That is perfectly fine! I just think when you are prepared to sub you should take the assignments. Be thankful when you have work!

26. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 10, 2009

Well, I get calls that are first call in the morning all the time. I keep the phone near me and answer it and take it and get up and get ready. Very simple if you want to make $$. I have no husband, no ne supporting me, I need it to live, you know:).

27. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Sep 21, 2009

I'm subbing for a "day of" call right now (on prep..last period woo hoo!). In my experience subbing for high school there is very rarely a difference between the lesson plans left for a job booked far in advance and one the day of. It's usually just babysitting, which is boring and/or challenging depending on the classes. I fortunately have never had to take a "day of" elementary assignment. However I have a feeling that might be changing this week as I do not have any other days booked. I've always assumed that the lesson plans left for those types of days would be horrible so I've tried to stay away.

28. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Sep 26, 2009

I have been a full-time classroom teacher for a while now BUT before I got my own classroom, I subbed also. I HATED it too. I used to have the same exact anxieties that you described.

Now that I have my own classroom, I absolutely LOVE it. Subbing and teaching full-time are two different animals. I do not think career changers need to sub but if you do, when you get your own classroom, you will appreciate full-time teaching that much more.

29. ChateauOfADoubt

ChateauOfADoubt New Member

Sep 27, 2009

As the year goes on, the night-before or several-days-before calls will increase.

30. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 29, 2009

Interesting. When I first started, I got the night before calls more than on-the-day calls. Now, most of the calls are not the day though the night before calls tend to be multiple days. I am not crdentialed and so no chnace of gettign long-term.

31. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 5, 2009

ok let me just say that in a perfect world you will know the dates, half or whole day, grade, teacher , school and be able to be there on time with lessons perfectly layed out. But we don't live in that perfect world in the world of teachers calling a sub it may be cuz' they had to go to the hosptial, got sick at school, one of there children got sick and they had to leave, or many other reasons. They don't always know a few weeks or even days before that they need you for a whole day. If they called you lets say at 5am of that day it may be cuz' they got sick the night before and did not want to call you in the middle of the night to ask you to sub the next day and they called at 5am to give you plenty of time to do everything you would of done had it been planned. I am sry if this makes some of you feel bad but if you want a job where you have planned days all the time the subbing is not for you. I hate getting called early cuz' I can't think clearly to say yes or no at 5am so if I know I am off the next day I look at my schedule and think if I can sub(meaning: I have no plans or plans that can be done another day, I have something to wear, and I have something I could take to eat aka in my situation a tv dinner) that way I can say yes or no.

32. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 5, 2009

I guess you just have to do the best you can.

33. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 6, 2009

I subbed before I started and I learned a lot. I think it is great experience but that doesn't mean some days it doesn't suck! I also know that teachers leave the best plans they can in the circumstances. I know sometimes I don't want to get up for work either :) BUT I also udnerstand that it really sucks sometimes to have a bad day as a sub. I think getting up before subfinder sounds like a good strategy.