I took a break from searching...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Bunnie, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 3, 2014

So between a slew of phone interviews and a couple demos and in person interviews I had taken a break for a few weeks. Granted I had quite a few back to back interviews I thought went well, and I haven't heard back from all of them yet. I've decided not to sit around hoping and waiting. I took that break because I felt I didn't want to keep taking days off or requesting half days at work but now that there's only 2 1/2 weeks of school left I'm applying again in hopes of landing more interviews before school lets out here.

It's hard to job search while working. It also hard to be selective so I'm applying just about anywhere within the city limits. I need something permanent for September. Mind you I'm also applying for summer jobs as well.

I'm really hoping to find something sooner rather than later. Guess I just wanted to vent. So the search continues!!!

3. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

Good luck! Today is the last day of school here, and pretty much all the scheduled openings have been filled. You know, the retirements and transfers that have been known to the principals. So this current wave of the hiring season is winding down for us.

I don't expect to start getting responses to my applications (now totally 56 in the past 2 months) until late July and August, when principals start to fill the last minute openings. School starts here in late August. But I keep submitting my applications! I am frustrated, because I just want to get out there and have interviews! You know, get the process started seriously. But despite my frustration, I think I am feeling pretty optimistic about my chances this year. I have a much better idea of what to expect. I have active, screened applications in four separate districts. My resume looks good, I feel comfortable and confident with my interview questions and I am ready.

I don't know if my para job will be available next year, so I just might go full time sub if I can't get a certified position. I don't know what is happening there. And nobody seems to be able to tell the paras what the plan is.

Good luck! We can get through this!
    Sheilah

4. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 4, 2014

I'm kind of feeling the opposite. I think this interview on a Monday has a good shot of being my last this hiring season. With the school year coming to an end everywhere, it's hard to imagine principals managing to wrangle together hiring committees past a certain date. So, if I don't get offered this next job I'm planning on moving to start subbing and searching for a job elsewhere. I won't be available for late August interviews. At least, not in this state. ;)

5. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 4, 2014

It's far from winding down over here. For the public schools I believe retirees have until 6/30 to make it know they are retiring. Most teachers shift in the system throughout the summer until mid August when they can't anymore. School starts after Labor Day so there's a 2 week period with high activity for last minute openings.

Most charters have finished their hiring or are about to. They'll only fill in vacancies over the summer if teachers leave. Theres always available jobs it's just a matter of scoring interviews!

6. vateacher300

vateacher300 Rookie

Jun 4, 2014

For anyone still looking and willing to relocate, keep an eye on Virginia jobs because our hiring season has been all sorts of crazy due to state politics this year.

Our divided legislature still hasn't approved a state budget for the July 1st fiscal year because they're battling over Medicaid expansion and heading for a state government shutdown if something doesn't change soon. This means that counties haven't been able to pass their budgets because they don't know their funding levels from the state. Here in VA, counties fund the schools directly so there are really no school budgets that have been passed for next year across the state.

Unfortunately, this has really postponed the bulk of the hiring season here and I haven't heard of any teachers who have actually received contracts yet for next year. Some divisions have posted replacement positions, but I think they are holding off on new positions in population growth areas due to the budget uncertainty.

I've signed a letter of intent for a new position (previous teacher is retiring), but have yet to actually sign my contract because they are waiting for the budget mess to be sorted out. This is preventing me from officially resigning from my current position.

All in all, I expect there to be a massive wave of job openings being posted in July and August here!

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 4, 2014

Postings are just starting here. That is very late for here.

I am grateful since I don't want my current school to know that I am looking.

8. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Jun 5, 2014

I don't even worry about the mythical "hiring season."

I found the best shot at a job was after the school year starts.

Many, many, many school districts fill openings internally first. My old school district did that with transfers up to the first day of school. It was extremely competitive with internal hires; outside applicants had little or no chance until later on unless they were in a "high needs" area.

9. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 8, 2014

Hey Bunnie! Good to see you again!

I hear you on the job search thing while working. Luckily I'm a permanent sub (one of four in the building) with an extremely understanding principal, so I'm able to take off for interviews. I have an interview tomorrow, and a demo/interview at another school on Tuesday. Both interviews are smack dab in the middle of the day in the city (one in Queens and one in Brooklyn) and I work in Nassau on Long Island, so I have to take off work for both of them.

It's so competitive around here, you have to drop everything and take an interview or they'll just go to the next person on the list. Hopefully things will pick up the next few weeks. Crossing my fingers for you!

I had a demo last Thursday that I thought went really well, all positive feedback after from administration. They told me that I'd hear from them the following week, but still nothing. Until I have an offer from anywhere and have signed paperwork, I keep looking.

Hopefully this season is kind to us both. What position are you looking for, again?

10. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 8, 2014

Hey MissD! I'm looking for Gen Ed 1-6 or Tech k-8. It's a tough field with the hiring freeze in the city. I'm still sending my résumé to some city schools hoping it's not a complete loss but I'm focusing on private and charter schools. I have an interview this week and I'm feeling good about it. We shall see what happens!

11. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 8, 2014

I actually have an interview this week for a Elementary 1-6 Common Branch position. That's gen ed, right?? (I've only ever worked in Long Island schools, and we don't ever refer to anything as common branch). How is that possible with the hiring freeze?

12. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Jun 9, 2014

Yeah there is. Common branch/gen ed is the same lol. I mean there is sorta a way to get around it if it's a new school. Otherwise HR doesn't approve it unless the principal wants to get around some red tape.