I told you so..... More family drama please no judgement

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Jun 25, 2018.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Jun 25, 2018

Well. Thanks to all the posters that responded to the issues pertaining to my family drama.
    Anyone out here that's reading this please refuse to work with family because they will use you and feel like they can do whatever because you're their family.
    If many do not know I teach at my parents preschool and there have been issues since I've been teaching there.

The new issue is the pay(as usual) and the upcoming Kindergarten.

Pay Issue-
    My mom forgot to fill out the necessary paperwork for workers to be paid. It delayed the pay 3 weeks late. Workers were disgruntled and so was I. However, I am always blamed for the mistakes that goes on in the building when clearly i told her that i will be taken time from work during the summer and do not want to be there AT ALL. She forces me to work hours I don't want to work and gets angry at me.
    The private kindergarten paperwork is also late and we do not have a building yet! I've been helping prospective parents with scholarships so they kids can come free and the scholarship pays for their school.
    My mother mind is running everywhere and me and my older sister decided to step her down from finances and paperwork because things are so behind.

Then today she wants me to cover the summer school teacher but told me to as I was just entering the city where I live.

On top of all of this, Im trying to get good standing in grad school, work on late bills, and settle into a new place.
    I can't handle all of this. After the kindergarten I will officially be leaving.

Sorry for the rant. Im just upset with it all.

3. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jun 25, 2018

It's time to take mommy to court.

4. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 25, 2018

Im not sure about that but I cant work in that environment anymore

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 25, 2018

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”.

Not all family businesses are like your experience, CuriousTeacher, however you really should learn from past history. You’ve been given the same advice here time and time again and yet here you are again with the same complaints. No one is “forcing” you to work for your family. You have a part to play in this drama....as for the rest of us, it’s deja vu all over again. o_O

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jun 25, 2018

Hate to say this but.. everyone told you so

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2018

The best indicator of future behavior is the behavior in the past.
    Please get the courage to make your life better.

8. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 26, 2018

Just like clockwork.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 26, 2018

Just say no. She takes advantage because you allow her to. She can’t make you turn up for summer school if you don’t want to. Take a stand for yourself becuse no one else will. You are the only advocate for yourself.

10. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 26, 2018

Did you notice TrademarkeTer's response? It is only a matter of time before someone else involved in that insanity wises up and does exactly that - take the school to court. You need to realize that the court will not see your parents as the ever-powerful authority figures that you do. They will most definitely assign responsibility to you if you're involved with executing your parents' poor business practices. "She made me" is not an acceptable waiver of liability. Get a different job and don't touch those shady books for the life of you!

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jun 26, 2018

Let me put it like this... JUST BECAUSE SHE IS YOUR MOTHER DOES NOT MEAN THAT SHE GETS TO TREAT YOU LIKE DIRT, NOR DOES IT MEAN YOU HAVE TO BOW DOWN TO HER LIKE SHE'S THE QUEEN OF EGYPT.

Take it from a guy who has a TERRIBLE relationship with his mother... Past behavior will always indicate future behavior.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2018

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    sagescience2 likes this.
  13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 26, 2018

I just wonder what the mother's side of the story would be if we asked. Aside from the late pay, many of these complaints seem like overly emotional reactions to routine tasks that are part of a job at a preschool.

a2z likes this.
  14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 26, 2018

Not to belabor the fact that most told OP any way she went about earning her certificate was better than working for the parents, this could be bad enough to prevent OP from earning the certificate, which would make the whole process a waste of time and money. That said, OP has made this choice, so it is up to her to step up to the plate and make sure that the kindergarten program will even be established. If OP is going to run the program, then it is time to RUN THE PROGRAM. I wouldn't be getting scholarships to a school that is on the brink of disaster. But you know, that is just me.

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2018

I wouldn’t send my children to such a poorly run ‘school’ :mad:

futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 26, 2018

Why do you ask for advice that you refuse to follow? This is not the place for you. Everything we say falls on deaf ears.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  17. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

Hey everyone. I love my family and felt as if I could help more but working for family isn't where I should be. So the paper work for the school is all done and so are the scholarships now I have to enroll the students.
    I agree @vickilyn this is making me put behind studying for a teacher cert. Lucky GCU understands and have given me a break from classes with no penalty.
    I am never doing putting myself through this again. Sometimes life is our biggest teacher and most of us have to experience things to understand.

18. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

I wouldn't say poorly ran its the finances and paperwork that creates confusion amongst the teachers rather than parents and students.

19. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

The good news is me and my sister took over the financial paperwork and staff will be paid in full and on time next Friday!

20. TeacherCuriousExplore

Jun 27, 2018

Thanks everyone! I am learning and its so hard to say no to family!

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2018

Confusion and stress over finances affect teachers’ well being, attitude and motivation. I wouldn’t put my kids in a school where finances were in such disarray and teachers were so disrespected- it reflects poorly on the administration and DOES influence what goes on in classrooms, IMO.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2018

I’d still be looking for a new job if I was one of the teachers. While it seems like ‘good news’, getting paid is expected, and quite frankly, a right of those who earned the paychecks and a responsibility of those who hired them.

23. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2018

I was going to respond to some of the others that you wouldn't necessarily be found to be running the school just because your parents were, but now you've clearly put yourself in that position. This may be a good thing if you're better at it than your parents, but it will expose you to liability.

I tend to agree with your first judgment -- working with family can be fraught with issues. You should continue to work towards getting out of this situation.

In the interim, develop a very detailed understanding of the finances. Require expenditures to go through you, preferably with your pre-approval.

24. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 28, 2018

Although the title of this thread includes a request for "no judgement", the subject doesn't lend itself to objectivity, as evidenced by the responses. Several people have advised you to get yourself out of this unhealthy situation, but with no concrete plan in sight, I doubt if that will ever happen. Instead, recent developments point to your getting in deeper with additional clerical responsibilities, but questionable decision-making authority. Now that you are apparently content with putting your schooling on hold and it's all available hands on deck, another chapter of your family drama has begun - definitely to be continued on this forum. :(

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    futuremathsprof and czacza like this.
  25. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Jun 29, 2018

Just keeping trying your best. I know it might be hard to say no to your family, especially your mother. Hopefully everything will turn out the way you want.

swansong1 likes this.
  26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2018

What. exactly did you learn?

Been There and ChildWhisperer like this.