I thought it was me, but...

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by pwhatley, Nov 9, 2007.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 9, 2007

For a while there, I thought I was failing as a student teacher. No, my cooperating teacher had no complaints, and few (always constructive) criticisms. My students were just not getting it!

In math, according to the pacing guide, we should already be working on multiplication. I spent 10 minutes the other day trying to get one student to understand that 9 plus 1 equals 10!! These students are barely getting addition and subtraction!

In language, they can't seem to follow directions. If I tell them to circle the nouns and underline the verbs, even if I go over the specific items on the test, about half of them will underline the nouns and circle the verbs. Or they will circle the adjectives and nothing else. When we discuss the parts of speech, they do pretty well. When it comes to a test, oh, brother! I have even gone so far as to look at what a child was doing, then ask them (for example) "have you ever bananaed? I have never been bananaing. How do you do it?" I have one student who likes to answer everything with "I don't know." There is nothing wrong with him or his intellect. He likes to do stuff like that.

Then today, redemption! (at least a little) During our weekly grade level meeting, I learned that ALL of the third grade classes (we have 4) are in almost exactly the same place in everything! So, not only are my kids having problems with learning the material, but so are the students belonging to other "real" experienced, receiving a paycheck teachers! Isn't it kind of horrible to feel like celebrating that we are all so far behind? :eek:

3. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2007

yes, that is a horrible feeling! Sorry you were having such a rough time my friend. :(

In the teacher's lounge, if everyone is losing, nobody can brag and be the goody-2-shoes. You are in the testing grade! They are nervous and upset because stardandized testing comes in the spring! if you were behind by yourself, you have a good excuse. but since everyone is behind, you don't stand out!

but, yes, that is a pretty sad statement indeed!

if it makes you feel any better, my whole building looks like a 3rd grade classroom to me anyways. and it's pre-k!!

too much pressure to meet performance standards! our district has not made AYP in 3 yrs! I think they may get sanctions if we don't make it this year! so principal told me in interview, she wants her kids reading!!

preschoolers, reading?! :eek:hmy: :help:

so, you aren't alone pal.

try to relax and enjoy this much needed long weekend.

don't go bananasas worrying about it! ;)

4. storyh

storyh Companion

Jan 21, 2008

That sounds like the kids at my school. I was shocked to realize that third graders can't think for themselves, can't follow directions, and don't listen. I am right there with ya!

5. I_love_turtles

I_love_turtles Rookie

Jan 21, 2008

I am feeling exactly as you are. I was so excited to come to third grade this year. I've spent many years in 2nd grade and a year in 1st. I thought the kids would be more independent and would be able to think for themselves. I was so wrong. I am completely disheartened. We spend a lot more time on everything than I ever thought we would. We have clustered classes and mine was a "B" (middle) class, but we are at exactly the same place as the "A" (high) and lower classes. I can't believe how much I have to explain and in minute detail. We even have to go back and go one step at a time for many things. My school didn't meet AYP this year (2 out of the past 3) and the state test is in less than 50 days. I can't even imagine how we will do. I am ready for this year to be over and we have 82 days left.

6. _Miss Bee~

_Miss Bee~ New Member

Jan 29, 2008

I so can relate!--What is going on w/ our students in schools today??

I hear your pain. I am a new teacher to Bakersfield, CA and I am going through a similar, or should I say identical experience. Since day one, I have asked myself, "Is it me, or are these kids just BEHIND in absolutely everything? I know some students are slow learners, and some are lacking skills for their grade level, but the least veteran teachers can do is recognize the problem and actually DO SOMETHING, instead of just saying "(sigh) we do what we can!". I don't blame the students, unless there are major social responsibility problems amongst them, but I do blame the priorities that teachers today face and put off. It's almost like these teachers know and acknowledge the problem, but feel helpless, that they do nothing. I don't know if it's cause they feel they can't for whatever reason, but still, it's making our schools look pointless. I always thought and was educated to realize that the concept of "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" really would take effect in our schools. But obviously, that concept is hard to carry in many schools today in our nation.
    Many children are behind, and are literally not even on par--or close--to where they need to be to actually say they are "learning" in school.
    In my situation, I am left everyday always struggling with whatever I can muster up to get my students up to grade level--if I even can make that happen.
    I moved out to Bakersfield from Los Angeles, to begin my career,
    since I was struggling to even find an open job position, and I come out here, only to find situations even worse than our metropolitan cities of America. At least in LA, teachers & administrators are using funds to collaborate in guiding students by implementing intervention strategies. But here in Bakersfield, the response I got from a veteran teacher is just , " Well... we do what we can!"
    I just get blown away when experienced teachers feel and seem professional, but don't perform it to their capabilities as educators that they should be.

7. DancingColor

DancingColor Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

I'm so there too--- testing pressure has my kids rolling their eyes and us frantically trying to get it in their heads! I hate teaching to the test. It's amazing how different this class is from last year. My principal said- "Well, they aren't always going to be great." Which is true--- if only we didn't feel so much pressure from the state. I just don't know--- there is something here that seems not quite right. It's as if the standards have been raised, and the abilities are not matching the expectations- not all of them--- but most of them. It's all I can do to keep their attention- unless I become a TV screen I just think this is a huge battle! (I even rollerbladed in front of my class, face covered in band-aids, to discuss and jump-start our invention unit!)

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jan 29, 2008

OMG...don't say that dancing!

I predict that will happen, before we see Christmas..2020.

We will all become avators (sp?) or digitized. An image on a screen. And we will all talk like the phone mail system lady or man. We will all sound the same, teach the same, and be sychronized on the same channel in every grade level.

For math, press 1, for science press 2, for homework, press 3, if you need more help, press the star sign!

sorry, nobody is available to take your call...please leave your message for Teacher Room 2-0-2.. BEEEP!

9. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2008

Master Pre-K say it ain't so! What a horrible thought! I hate those phone messages, I would have to kill myself instead of the phone! :eek:hmy:

Very funny! :D

10. DancingColor

DancingColor Rookie

Jan 29, 2008

I will say on a positive note I LOOOOVE Smartboard technology and am getting one next year in my classroom! :) There are ways to reach these kiddos--- and I hate the thought of being replaced by a DVD player.

11. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Jan 30, 2008

i am a student teacher as well and i have the same worries...im glad im not the only one....its hard when the entire class does now follow you but you are doing your best and every student has different learning styles...

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 1, 2008

ok, ok, but maybe that would be the perfect job for me. Teacher in a TV. (uh, we actually have this in Chicago!)

Wanted: Virtural Pre-K Teacher. Licensed teacher to conduct lessons for video program that will be utilized for Chicago Public Schools State Pre-K program. Implement activities, create and perform songs, demonstrate finger plays. You will work in front of a camera, and your image will be broadcasted via webcam to centers.

Remember, we thought the Jetsons were pretty funny.....

Don't we all have microwaves, computers and web cameras, cell phones, and get through the airport on moving sidewalks???

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 1, 2008

Great idea, just not sure how you would keep two pre-kers from pulling hair in a TV.....

Yep the Jetsons were funny, but really moving sidewalks in an airport???? You must be crazy, there is no such thing! in an airport in michigan that is!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

really? I guess I thought all airports had them now...you do have a remote for your TV right? ;)

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2008

Hahahahaha, very funny, yes I have a remote (unless you mean the kind without a wire......lol, seriously I have several)

No the nearest Airport, Gerald R. Ford is too small and Detroit, is just to old and broken. I hate the airport!

A digitaly controlled aide robot huh? Programmed to be nice to you at all times right?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

nah..I want the principal to be mean all the time, and then the aide can be a total fool, and the principal will finally catch her!

and do something about it! but won't waste my breath dreaming about that..

maybe if I keep searching, I may find just that opening in Career Builder.com

one day ww, we must plan a dream trip to Hawaii, Jamaica or heck at least Wisconsin Dells!

17. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2008

Yep we gotta run away someday, heck never been to the Wisconson dells, and it sounds cheap! For me it would be easy to get there, just hop the ferry, umm, well, umm, when the lake isn't partly frozen and likely to kill me! :D

Now Hawaii and Jamiaca, wow, sounds great......one question

Is bank robbery legal as long as we promise to pay the money back? :D :D :D :D :D :D

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

the only legal way to rob your bank is to bounce checks!

that is called check kiting... or robbing Peter to pay Paul.. Making a deposit with zero funds, and then withdrawing in from the second account. it gets there, eventually...when payday rolls around

or, using one debit card until the balance is -$1000,

then use the other one...

it if happens too many times, ChexSystems or Telecheck will mark you account for 7 years.

then you open up an account in your kid's name. a kid's account! but you write checks and use the debit card.

but you stop before you ruin their credit too...so they can at least get their financial aid checks...because some schools want a bank account number for electronic deposits

terrible things they teach you at the bank call center jobs!!! :unsure:

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2008

That is way more info than I needed on how to mess up my credit......now I might be tempted to try it!

20. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Feb 2, 2008

Holy cow, how does anyone not get 9+1 = 10. I am the worst person in the world at math, but even I got that.

How tragic a story you bring to us, pwat.

21. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 2, 2008

People who don't understand place value would think the answer to 9+1 is 91.

People who don't understand place value and who are dyslexic would think 9+1 is 19.

People who don't understand the difference between addition and subtraction may think 9+1 is 8.

There are a lot of people who can't *see* that 9 + 1 = 10.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

I can't subtract without a calculator. Period. Never could. Too many mistakes. my checking account stays messed up. Forget to borrow or return or carry, can't use terminology right. People say I read problem backwards, don't understand it if I say it the right way. Example: 7-2= __ Is is seven take away 2, or two from seven? Folks yell at me and say you can't take seven from two! ok, then what the heck is it doing on top?? :(

At least income tax book has hints. "if less than zero, leave blank." I used to get a negative number, I think I did something wrong! "multiply this number by 5% (.05)" I have trouble with percentages too! I would probably write 5.00 :crosseyed

23. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

then, you call up and cry and tell cust serv rep, you are awlfully sorry, and did not realize your mistake, and could they please take off that $35 overdraft fee, this time, please.

and most will!

when one account closes, credit unions will always open another one..they don't always check Telecheck or Chexsystems.

24. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2008

Somehow those people always figure out when I have been a bad girl. I bounced a check about 7 years ago to a place, never knew I did it, didn't know I had to pay the check. So there are four major stores I still cannot write a check to, however if I wanted to pay it now, I couldn't because it is too old. Gotta love the for-profit credit industry! NOT!

25. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2008

yes, that is the stupid part. unlike credit cards and other bills, it doesn't matter that you pay if off today, tomorrow or 6 years from now. it still stays put for 7 years. now when you decide to make a payment on an old bill, it becomes active again, and a new collection company starts calling you, and the statue of limitations starts over. they can only bother you for 6 yrs, 6 months. then it will drop off your credit anyway.

26. gdpope

gdpope New Member

Feb 3, 2008

More than One Bakersfield District

I am a student teacher in third grade in a Bakersfield school . The students are doing fine. There are about forty-three districts in Kern County. There are children struggling in districts, but we have a lot of innovation and methods that are working. I just want to make sure Bakersfield's reputation doesn't sink any lower.

27. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2008

Excellent point!

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 3, 2008

:lol:

This sounds like a scene straight from the new movie.... MAD MONEY