I think this is my last year for a while

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by hanvan, Dec 21, 2006.

1. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2006

I have been on materity leave for the last 12 weeks (it will be more like 15 with all the holidays). I will go back Jan-May part time and then I think I am going to quit! I just don't want to leave my baby...even if it is with my MIL (who will be wonderful with her but it won't be me :()
    We will have to be a little tighter but I think its going to be worth it! Its strange to think I won't be a teacher anymore -for a while anyway! I don't plan on going back until I'm done making babies :) I just decided this today and wanted to share.

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 21, 2006

Congrats on your decision! I'm sure it was a tough decision to make, but you need to do what is best for you and your family and if staying home is it...go for it! :)

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

Congratulations on your decision. But you better not stop coming to the forums.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Hanvan, I made the SAME decision as you when my children were little........and I'd do it all over again! Good for you and for your family! It is a blessing to be able to stay home with them when they are so small.:love:

6. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2006

I don't think I can stop...I;m a addict I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

It is a very precious time in your life. I'm glad I stayed home for years. The blessings are worth the sacrifices.

8. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2006

it just makes me sick to think of ANYONE else feeding her or seeing something for the first time. Every single day is so different with her right now. Sunday she rolled, yesterday she giggled...who knows whats next :)

9. Giggles1100

Giggles1100 Comrade

Dec 21, 2006

I took 10 years off, and things may have been tight, and it has been an adjustment this year especially with the kids, but I would not trade it, but now that I am back teaching I am enjoying the xtra money! LOL

10. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2006

See here she is...how can I not! LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Dec 21, 2006

I also stayed home when my daughters were young, and I wouldn't have traded that time with them for anything. Enjoy!!

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 21, 2006

Soooooo cute!!

13. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 21, 2006

Ok, so you'll have more time for us over on the homeschoolspot (we always love your advice there).--You don't need to homeschool, just come visit.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Oh my goodness...........she is adorable.......and such cute cheeks!!!! (Both ends............LOL!!!!!!!!!!!) What a precioius little pumpkin!!!

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Dec 21, 2006

My friend made this same decision last week except she is not going to come back to finish off the school year. I am very proud of her for following her heart. Her husband make enough for them to live off of -- no frills though, but she is planning on continuing to teach private flute lessons and to tutor 2 nights a week. She is also considering babysitting her neighbors baby beginning over the summer.

16. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

great decision...:) :) :) :)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2006

Congratulations on a decision you will never regret. I stayed home for 10 years, from the time my son was born until my daughter started Junior Kindergarten. Although we needed to "do without" some material things, I would make the the same decision again in a heartbeat! Enjoy every second with that precious little one (and any others that follow!)

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2006

I just went back in September after 6 years home with my kids. While some of the days were long, the years just flew. It was one of the best decisions of my life.

A bit of advice: start to find a network of other SAHM's. The winters can get lonely when you're the only one you know home.

Congrats!

19. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

Please forgive me. But how old is she? I can't remember when you had her. I'm thinking it was late September around the same time as Amanda had her baby.

20. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 21, 2006

Yes it was...september 19th. She just turned 3 mths

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 21, 2006

Such a beautiful baby!

22. 101dalmatian

101dalmatian Companion

Dec 21, 2006

I go back to work after 3 months of maternity leave in Jan. also. Like you I don't want to go back! Everytime I think about it I get upset. Xavier will be staying at my friends house who I trust, but I just can't get over the thought of leaving him. To make matters worse, we just found out a week ago that my hubby will be deploying again soon. For now my plan is to try going back to work for as long as possible and if it's not working for me I too will be quiting.

23. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 21, 2006

Good decision Hanvan. I was home with my boys and started working part time when they were both in school. We were poor, but so happy. You can never get those years back...I'm glad you are doing this. Two of my best friends who worked with me, decided the same thing when they started their families and although I hated to see them leave, I encouraged and applauded them for making that decision.

24. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Dec 22, 2006

I was thinking the same thing LOL!:p

25. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

Hanvan, I am doing the same thing after this year as well with my business and childcare/teaching in general. I am going to look for just a part time job in the early evening where my hubby works so I can be with my baby and my little man when he is home from school (so crazy to think that is happening next year...my baby is getting so big!). I just want to be a mom to my boys, and I can't do that with other kids running around too. I always used to be the kind of person who wanted to always work, make money, etc., but not anymore. I just want to be a mom and only raise my OWN kids.

Good luck with your decision, and I am sure you will not regret it for one moment! I know I wont!

26. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2006

Congrats to you too! I;m sure those moms are going to hate loosing you...its hard to find good childcare. We want to have at least one (maybe two) more kids and I just know I can't work and take care of my family the way I want to with working. And its sad to say but it doesn't mean as much to me as it did before (teaching I mean). Reese means so much more and if that means I can't have my house cleaned, grass mowed, new clothes whenever I want them etc...then so be it. I don't care!

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

I know exactly what you mean! Because I am so worried about being with my children, I feel like I don't even have that same 'spark' or drive anymore. I know it sounds wierd, because I am with my children, but it's still not the same when you are busy with other people's kids too. Sure, I "see" my children, but I don't get to "spend time" with them, and I know it will be even harder once the baby comes. It will just be nice to wake up, and only see my babies faces and not feel rushed to get out the door to go to work or get ready for kids coming over. I am so waiting for that day.

28. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 22, 2006

What kind of part time work are you looking for?

29. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2006

Hubby's company (the local hospital and outlaying medical offices) has part time jobs a lot at night working in admitting and scheduling and a few other areas. Nice desk and paperwork jobs, but at night!:D Right up my alley!:D They also rely heavily on referrals, and I know 3 people who work there that I am close to. There are many husband and wives who work there too, which is cool. I'm hoping I can get in there, even if it's a pool position to start with. If that doesn't work, I'll just pray God opens some doors for me.

30. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Dec 24, 2006

He always does :)

31. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Dec 24, 2006

Mine are thirteen and twenty and I never have regretted my decision to stay home their first few years! Such an important time for both us and them! Don't worry...you'll still be teaching, just to a smaller crowd!!
    Enjoy!!!

32. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Dec 27, 2006

Hanvan,
    Congratulations on making your decison. Teaching will always be there but your children are only young once. Your daughter is beautiful by the way!

33. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2006

I made the same decision over twenty five years ago. Money was tight but I wouldn't trade it for anything. My kids don't remember what we didn't have, but they sure remember having Mommy there. They grow up so fast... Savor every minute you can. God bless you and your sweet baby!

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2006

Mine are 13 and 15 and I made that same decision 15 years ago and I don't regret it at all. It was hard to get a job again but my boys were SO supportive when I started to sub again. They knew how much it meant to me to work again and they were behind me all the way (even when it meant that they had to get their own breakfast and catch the bus themselves). Deep down, they knew that their needs had always come first in the family - and I always knew where every bump and bruise had come from!