I Think Recording Attendance Is Important, Isn't It?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by PoliticalFutbol, Oct 13, 2015.

1. PoliticalFutbol

PoliticalFutbol Rookie

Oct 13, 2015

As a regular teacher I didn't get it. Now retired and as a sub, I still don't.
    I got a list of students who were not to be marked absent from class.
    Periods one through three had a lot of absences.
    First hour was going to take me a long time to report which students to put on the absence list and get it sent to the office. I admit I assumed they need the first hour quickly. It was confusing, because some of the students on the list came to class first and some didn't. Also, the numbers didn't add up. I discovered there was new quiet kid in class. Yet I got it done asap and sent it down to the attendance with a reliable student.
    But I knew the next period was going to take much longer. Sure enough, 2nd hour also had a lot of absences. It was half way through the period when I decided to just report what I knew so far. I wrote on the slip that I didn't have time, but felt at this point (half way through the period), that it was necessary to tell them who was absent asap. I also explained there were many absences and suggested that an alphabetized list of students would help. The list they gave me was alphabetized by first hour teacher, not by student and was several pages long.
    I got a call asking if I needed a list. I explained. They sent down the same list I already had!
    Between classes I talked to a neighboring teacher. She said it was awful, but when I said, at least she probably got it as an excel file so she could alphabetize it, she seemed lost in the conversation.

I think recording of attendance is important, isn't it?

I didn't get it before computers when I taught math and science for many years, and now as a retired sub, I still dont' get it.

Third period had the most absences, but I now had two lists. While I worked from one, I had a student work from the other. He knew everyone in class, yet he spent a long time going through the list of students to see which not to put on the absence slip. He was pretty sharp, but he got it wrong. I sent the slip down and explained that the numbers weren't adding up right.

4th hour was slow so I had time to correct the 3rd hour attendance. I sent it down with the 4th hour attendance.

I feel like taking attendance is practically all a sub usually has to do. Teachers don't expect much. So I feel guilty if I can't even do that right.

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 13, 2015

That sounds like a problem with the school and not with you. Our attendance is easy for subs. They get an alphabetized roster for each class with a space for students to sign. They send it to the office.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2015

I've never heard of such a strange system. I've only ever seen one alphabetical list per period or an AM and PM alphabetical list in elementary classrooms.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2015

I can only assume that these were all students who were legitimately supposed to be elsewhere - but one would think that a computerized system could keep track of that, so that a "present" in, say, a pull-out setting would trump an "absent" from a regular classroom.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 13, 2015

This. Absolutely.

Attendance plays into government funding, school rankings and has direct impact on student achievement.

7. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Oct 24, 2015

When I student taught, my cooperating teacher did not have a homeroom and did not take attendance in any of his classes, so I didn't either. Come to think of it, I'm surprised my university supervising professor never noticed it. He always took attendance in his college classes.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 25, 2015

Taking attendance is the law here - our attendance rosters are legal documents. We do it all by computer, and have a simple process for subs.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 26, 2015

I have rosters for each class. Subs usually take attendance with that. Otherwise when I'm there I just glance at progressbook and make sure it matches up. I can usually just glance around the room and know who isn't there.