I think my students took my ipod

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by PenCelia, May 14, 2006.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 14, 2006

I don't know what to do. I bought a brand new computer in Sept that came with free i pod etc. Well last night I looked into my computer bag and my I pod and plugs were all missing. The only place I take my computer is school and back home. I never really used my i pod so I just happened to look into the front pocket where I placed it two weeks ago. It only had one song on it. My students knew that I had the i pod and where aware that I didn't use it much. What do I do now. It's unnerving that someone would do this. 5th grade seems too young but then again we've had students stealing books from the library and stealing candy off my desk. I just didn't think they would go in my computer bag. I'm angry and don't know if I should mention something to the kids. I am going to mention it to the principal.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 14, 2006

I would mention it to my class. I wouldn't accuse them, but would explain the situation just like you did--that the i-pod is missing and that the only place you had it was at school. Offer a reward for information (you may want to come up with a way to make it anonymous). I would also tear apart my classroom, my vehicle and anywhere in the house where I put the computer, perhaps it fell out? Is your classroom locked when you aren't in the room? Is it possible that other students were in your room when you weren't? Good luck; I'm sure it is tearing you apart wondering if your students are to blame.

4. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 14, 2006

I would look every where for it. Then, tomorrow morning I would go to my principal and tell them. They might bring in an officer to talk to the classes about it. It's very serious if someone took it, and it needs to be returned. Now you know it's best to lock everything valuable up. Even if you trust your students. Someone else could walk in and take it.

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 14, 2006

As has been said I wouldn't outright acccuse anybody, but this might be a good time for some character education lessons. If someone did take it this just might get to their consicience

Good Luck

6. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

May 14, 2006

:eek: :sorry:
    I'm sorry to hear that...

7. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

May 15, 2006

I had a 5th grader steal my cell phone earlier this year, so this age level is capable of that. Do search around everywhere you can think of. If you can't find it you need to tell your principal about it. I would also have a very serious discussion with the children about personal propertyand how now you feel as if you can't trust any of them even the ones who didn't take it because they probably know who did it. If your like me I didn't want to press charges I just wanted my phone back. I told the kids that. Look I just want it back if I don't get it back the principal will have to involve the cops.
    I did get my phone back... good luck getting your ipod back.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 15, 2006

Did your ipod turn up?

9. DogLover

DogLover Rookie

May 17, 2006

I had a 3rd grader steal from me earlier in the year, I actually caught her red-handed after another teacher mentioned she was passing out my stickers to her class, she didn't take anything valuable like an ipod, she stole stickers, a teacher resource geography book, and tons of copying I had done-this was all found in her backpack. This shocked me because she was one of the last students I would have suspected-very sweet and quiet. Very sad that 8 year olds can be sneaky enough to try to steal. This particular student was suspended for 3 days and was talked to by our resource police officer. Very disturbing when kids this young steal...