I think my principal doesn't like me.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, May 28, 2011.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

May 28, 2011

I am hoping that this is all in my head. But I want some objective opinions before I start mailing my resume out.

Last week my students were working on a mural project in the hallways. Our entire grade level was doing the same project. Since our rooms are carpeted we were trying to not ruin the carpet anymore than it already was. In the middle of the project, we were told to move into our classrooms and clean the paint that was on the floor. My team mate and I were cleaning when he comes walking by. I was on my hands and knees scrubbing and she was mopping behind me. He complimented her and stepped over me.:mad: Later that day he sent someone into my class to complain about the carpet stains. This wasn't done to the other teachers.

Another example, I am in the hallway taking down my bulletin board on my lunch break. Several other teachers are doing the same. He compliments them and not me.

Similar things have been happening all year. He sends me slightly sarcastic/snidely written emails complaining that my students are loud. When it wasn't my class. It was another class. Or that my students are not in proper uniform when they are.

Little things like this have been happening all year. I went to my team leader about it and she doesn't think it is a big deal. Am I being too sensitive?

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

May 28, 2011

Sometimes my P does the same to me. She says hi to other teachers and ignores me. I do not think much of it.

Until she starts complaining about my teaching then I'll worry.

4. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

I had a similar experience last year with my previous principal. She would seem to compliment everybody. When the time came to do a formal observation, she did not mention a positive thing about my lesson and focused entirely on one student who was bored because he already knew the content.

She would assign projects for me to do and then find something wrong about them and made a big deal about it. I couldn't understand what she wanted in the first place because she had serious communication problems and I never knew where I stood with her.

I didn't leave because of that but it surely drove me nuts.

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

May 28, 2011

My current principal compliments me a lot but he also assigns a lot of projects just to me. So, I don't know which one is better. I feel that he just compliments me so I don't turn down these projects.

6. dianejw

dianejw Companion

May 28, 2011

Pencil Monkey,

I know exactly how you are feeling and it is so hard to feel like you are singled out and criticized for no apparent reason. We have a new young principal this year, and for the first time in my teaching career I feel as though the principal doesn't even want to like me. She finds fault with me and accuses me of things I never did or said. It is one of the hardest things I've ever had to deal with. I love teaching and work incredibly hard going over and above on everything I do, and I do it all for the kids. So when the criticism is unwarranted, it makes going to work very unpleasant, and I dislike feeling that way. The only thing that kept me hanging in there this year was focusing on the kids and the fact that the rest of the staff is incredible. I hope things get better for you. Just try hard to ignore most of it because apparently the problem isn't with you, it's with the principal and most of them don't stay long. That's what I'm counting on.

7. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 3, 2011

I went through the same thing this year. My principal got somethings wrong and was called "on the carpet" by our central office for it because parents reported the situation to them. Since my name was associated with it, she chewed me up one side and down the other saying hurtful and unprofessional things in a very hostile manner. I am thinking of getting our union involved. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat. Parents and kids love us and even request us, right? I am having to learn after much heartache and many tears that it's not me and I am praying that she will be moved. I'll be praying the same thing for you. Hugs!!!!

8. husker_blitz

husker_blitz Companion

Jun 3, 2011

I had a similar experience with a past principal. It made for a very long year. From what you described it doesn't sounds like your being too sensitive.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 6, 2011

I agree with Husker. Also (and you won't like this) you might want to consider looking for a position elsewhere because from what I've seen, if the Principal has issues with you, you can't win. For instance, this year, one of my co-workers has somehow gotten on the P's bad side.

So the P has moved her outside into a temporary at the back of the school rather than indoors with the rest of her team.

The coworker gets "surprise" observations at least 2 - 3 times a week and the P ALWAYS has something negative to say about them. Whenever a parent complains about the coworker, the P takes the parents side and not the coworkers.

Though the co-worker is by no means an angel (read: my "Miss Nice-Nasty posts) I don't think she is any worse than some of the other teachers.

I think the only solution is for her to leave. Just some food for thought.

10. samuelarnold

samuelarnold Rookie

Jun 8, 2011

I think these all are your misunderstandings.

11. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jun 8, 2011

Are you the principal perhaps? Why do you say this? Where's the content to your post?