I think I've developed phone anxiety

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Peachyness, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

I wasn't certain exactly where to post this, but I figured I'll post it here. I've been making several phone calls this morning and each time I've tripped over my tongue. I forget what I'm about to say, get tongue-tied. What is going on here???? Just now, I called a school district to see if I could come by and pick up their application (their online application program is not working!!!) and I tripped over my tongue at the end when I was asking how late they will be open. UGH!!!!! What is wrong with me??? I don't get it. I'm blaming the heat.

I'm worried though because I've been tripping over my tongue in front of my study mates (I'm taking chem this summer and there's a group of us that studies together each day after the lab). What if this is a permanent thing and it starts to affect me like at an interview. Maybe I'm overworked and I need a vacation?? I went right from working (and taking evening classes) to summer school with very little break in the middle. Maybe I'm just tired and my brain is fried??

Anyone else get phone anxiety and have ideas on how to combat it???

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

PS, IF you happened to have read my other thread about me and my future of teaching and then wondered why I am picking up an application at a school district, it's just a part time reading position. It's pretty much tutoring kids in reading. :)

4. sammyrams

sammyrams Companion

Jul 17, 2009

Ha! I have it sometimes too! I write down what I want to say and then just read it! It sounds lame but it works!

5. penguinpc

penguinpc Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Writing things down really works. I had bad anxiety problems for a while and this really helped me on the phone.

6. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jul 17, 2009

I do get phone anxiety for sure. So, when possible, I write out what I need to say before I make the phone call. I even write my own name down too. It really helps having the notecards so that I can slow down and not worry about forgetting what I needed to say.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2009

I've gotten it before as well.

8. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

I am fine when an actual human picks up the phone but if I have to leave a voice mail? I blabber on incoherently until my poor choice of syntax rises up toward th corner and just hangs there without any closure....like a horrific and monsterous dangling modifier.

9. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jul 17, 2009

I do it too - I will go over it in my mind and if I'm really unsure about it or think I will trip over my tongue I will write it down too.

10. mrssmithinaz

mrssmithinaz Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Ditto to all these... the writing down thing definitely helps. Sometimes I get so nervous picking up the phone that I find a million things to do ... I can somehow avoid making that dreaded phone call for hours!
    I blame my phone anxiety on the telemarketing job I had in college - ha!
    Hang in there :)

11. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Even when I write a script I manage to mangle it all up!

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

I also have phone anxiety! I agree that writing down what you are going to say usually helps. It's funny even in situations where there isn't really any stress I'll mangle my words, like when I answer the phone at work (which is at a grocery store and all I usually have to do is just put the call on hold and page someone or answer a really easy question) and I'll mangle my words. It's so frustrating!

13. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Jul 17, 2009

Most people have this problem if they will admit it. We don't want to feel like an idiot. I hate answer machines.

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2009

Thanks all! I usually think in my mind what I want to say, but I guess I'll start writing things down. I just hope this doesn't become a habit of mine!!!