I think it's funny when 5 inches of snow is a big deal.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Feb 4, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 4, 2011

I understand that Texas isn't necessarily as prepared for the snow and cold as other parts of the country, but I just find it funny that it's such a big deal. :lol: Now, when it's -20 degrees windchill with 18 inches of snow, that's a big deal.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2011

DP~even 1" of snow in TX is a big deal! We're just not used to driving around on it. Of course we have been in the low 20s and teens since Tuesday and we're not used to those temps either...at least not for that long of a time period.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

Houston closed down for just ice and the threat of snow! We aren't in any way prepared for travel on icy roads.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2011

DP, I moved from WI to Indiana. Imagine my shock when 5 inches of snow closed us for almost a week! (Although, I give a little more leeway to cities like Dallas--we still get winter weather every year where I am, so I haven't figured out why they haven't figured that out yet. ;))

6. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Feb 4, 2011

I know it is silly that Texas is making a big deal, but its the issues behind it for us. We have over half of our citizens without basic utilities, with it being this cold well it is a big deal. We have a lot of elderly people that are having to find shelter, because the gas isn't working, water pipes are broken, etc. We weren't ready. Now we are dealing with closures left and right. Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 4, 2011

People think we're crazy because we can be out for as little as a dusting of snow. However, we do not have the resources to treat the roads properly, and we've got some really dangerous curvy, mountain roads around here.

My mom's boyfriend is from Minnesota, so he wasn't sure why everyone was in such an uproar with a prediction of just a little snow . . . and then he started to see how unprepared we are to clear roads in this area.

In Minnesota he was used to a road crew that could tackle the snow, and if you did happen to slide off the road in a ditch, you just waited to get someone to pull you back on the road. Here if you slide off the road, you go over a cliff.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 4, 2011

Yeah, I totally get that. It's just weird to think about, because of what we're used to up here!

9. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Feb 4, 2011

My best friend and her fiancee are originally from here (WNY, so we get the lake effect snow) and they now live in South Texas (she can see the border from her front window) for his job. She sent me a picture last night of the snow and she was so excited to see it because they haven't seen snow in 3 years since they have moved.

She then called me today and said she was no longer excited because Texas isn't prepared for the snow, it's hard to drive in and she has seen tons of accidents.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 4, 2011

There was a fifty car pile up in San Antonio. In other accidents, there were five fatalities.

Yes, I think we are wimps complaining about the temps, canceling school with conditions people up north have on a regular day, but people here can't drive in ice and snow.

In larger cities, they put out de-icing agents but they don't do that in my community.

11. smalltowngal

Feb 4, 2011

Wow, teacherintexas!! I know there were several accidents that shut down interstates in the DFW area.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 4, 2011

Well, I don't know if it's true but I heard that the next 5 winters are going to be even worse than this one. Maybe some of the non prepared states should start preparing!

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 4, 2011

The SA news stayed on all night, canceling other shows. I think that happened late last night. I moved a mattress into the living room so I could sleep by the fireplace. I live about 2 1/2 hours away from SA but SA stations are the only local channels I get on satellite.

Plus, I wanted to add that quite a few of my students only have two or three pairs of long pants so clothing is an issue in this weather.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 4, 2011

It's more economically feasible to shut down the southern states for a few days than to purchase and maintain the equipment needed to efficiently clear the roads.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 4, 2011

It's probably what would happen where you are with flooding-we get it all the time and are quite used to it. I grew up in the Northeast, so I agree with you-"cold" is subjective. ( I love telling my childhood stories of snow forts and sledding to the kids-they can't even imagine). Even though I've had experience driving in snowy conditions, I still stay home because people here just don't know what they're doing.

The ice on the roads was really bad this morning-whole freeways closed down-you couldn't get anywhere. The news took over broadcasts of even the Today show to report it all morning. Many accidents, overturned trucks.

Even though schools were open yesterday (the freezing rain didn't even start until well into the evening)--I had seven students absent, 3 left before noon, had just 8 left by 2:00; because they called for that precipitation. It scares people.

16. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Feb 4, 2011

I always think it's funny in the summer when folks up north are complaining about 90 degree weather. Heck, that's a normal spring day down here.

We were shut down an entire week a couple of weeks ago. It's the resources. We don't know what to do with ice. And yes, I was a good Southern girl and made my run to get bread and milk. LOL! The stores were wiped out of eggs, bread, cereal, and tylenol!!!! LOL!!

17. Harper

Harper Companion

Feb 4, 2011

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 4, 2011

I don't know what we're supposed to prepare WITH, though. This year by the end of December my city had already used all the salt for the entire winter, and they had no money to buy additional salt. Even when they were just scraping, not salting, it took them two days to get to my road. Glad I have 4-wheel drive!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 4, 2011

What I love is where we live, we keep our emergency kits year round. Our four seasons are hurricane, tornado, ice, tornado part 2. We are close enough to the coast to get tropical storm activity, far enough north to get snow and ice sometimes, and in the perfect spot for tornadoes/extremely severe storms/flooding in the fall and spring. How is our poor city supposed to be equipped for all that? Since what we always have is water, we are better equipped for floods and storms, but less so for ice, as it happens maybe 5 days out of the year.

20. amethyst24

amethyst24 Rookie

Feb 4, 2011

I'm up here in NH and after about 4 BIG storms, 4 weeks in a row, 5 inches is now just a "dusting!" It's been a crazy, crazy winter-- the snowbanks are higher than my car! I just want to get out of school before July :/

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 4, 2011

In Oklahoma we got 16 inches of snow this week in my hometime. We missed school Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. We are never out of school this long. I am so tired of being out of school. If things don't improve fast, we will be out Monday. Plus pipes in our building burst and we have rooms with water in them (mine included). Things aren't looking good.

22. worrywart

worrywart Companion

Feb 4, 2011

It is just very rare for Texas to be hit with a storm, or storms or this magnitude PLUS multiple days of below freezing temps.

Usually, even if there was some snow, it would melt within 24 hours or less. It is not cost effective for an area that only gets snow very occasionally to be as prepared as states that spend their winters in the snow!

Not to mention the fact that a hoodie or sweat jacket is many people's only winter 'coat'. Honestly, the weather in Texas is usually bearable most of the winter!

23. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 4, 2011

If it were just the snow we'd be okay. It's the 4 inches of ice underneath that gets us. Monday night into Tuesday morning we started off with the ice storm. The strong winds saved our power lines from collecting all the ice on them. We were very lucky there. Then it turned into beautiful snow. Fourteen inches of it. We've been out of school all week. We decided to try to get to town today and the main roads are awful. I expected them to be in much better condition than our road. Cut to today when we were supposed to get 1/2 inch of snow or less. We're up to 7+ inches today. Since not much has melted, we may be in trouble soon. We have more snow coming over the next few days and a big storm coming Wednesday. As a teacher I'm getting nervous missing all these days.

However, the snow on the trees and in our yard is beautiful. I'm thinking I'm taking pictures tomorrow before I bring more wood up to the house.

We'll see if this works:
    [​IMG]
    Finnegan does his best to help shovel out a path with his Pet Smart frisbee by hwoodruff, on Flickr
    Before we got too much snow, Finnegan was trying to help dig out with a Frisbee.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  24. smalltowngal

Feb 5, 2011

The DFW area had to call in additional snow trucks and drivers in order to keep up with the ice and snow the past week.

Our gym and a few classrooms in a middle school has busted pipes with flooding. I haven't heard about my school.

25. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 5, 2011

Even here in Southern Ohio the snow and ice can be a big deal because we have so many hills. The road crews do a great job of clearing them, but when they're not clear, watch out! It can be very dangerous driving around here.

26. G00d d00bie

G00d d00bie Rookie

Feb 5, 2011

Southern Snow Slipperier? (spelling? slipperyr, sliperyier, sli...??)

When I was a teenager working on the farm in upstate NY in 4 feet of snow and -20 F for a month straight, all of us thought it was a big deal when we heard that Texas got snow. We all thought Texas was to far south to ever get snow.
    But I have learned that snow in the south might always be more slippery because the ground does not get that cold. Warmer ground might mean warmer snow - snow that is closer to the melting point.
    Ok, it's science. Frozen water is not that slippery. The reason it seems slippery is that when subjected to enough pressure it liquifies. Even though the time seems instantaneous, the ice skater's blade hydroplanes. When a car tire press against the snow on the road, the snow may melt. If the ground is already at -20 F, even a car's weight may not melt the snow. If the ground is maybe about 25 F to maybe 30 F, the car's weight might melt the snow and its tires might hydroplane without the ability to steer.
    So anyway the southerners might always have the "slipperier snow."

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  27. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Feb 7, 2011

If it ever snows in Phoenix I will park my car, no one here knows how to drive in rain much less snow.
    When I go up to Northern Arizona all the cars that are in the ditches are from Phoenix. Many people are from the snow belt state but they forget how to drive in "weather"
    I spent time in the lake effect snow country of NY.