I think I'm ready to go back - I need income!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 10, 2013

I am paid 10 months because my district doesn't offer 12 month pay. I saved as much as I could, and worked summer school, but I'm still dead broke :unsure:. I go back on Aug 16th and I think I'm ready. Too many restless nights worrying about bills! A friend of mine needs some help cleaning his office storage unit and cleaning out his work van and offered to pay me to help, knowing about my situation. I hate that it's come to that, but I'm happy he offered! Anyone else ready to go back because finances dictate it's time??

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

Summers can be tough..I've had seasons where the car needed big $ work, ac unit died...right as last paycheck comes in June or in August when it starts getting tight...:(
    I've tutored throughout this summer...that's really helped...($200 per week:) ) that's pretty much kept me out of the bank account, has provided me with 'fun' money and I've put some away. We saved a lot during the past year and dh's job, while stressful with more responsibilities, has been better than some years in the past...actually felt we could breathe better this summer! But yeah, looking forward to earning my real paycheck again...it will be mid September though before I get paid!:huh:

4. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 10, 2013

*raises hand* ME! I don't get paid until the first week of September. And due to switching districts/schools-I'll be going through the month of August paycheck-less :(.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

I get paid over 12 months, but this is the first time I've had just my income to rely on...getting paid once a month STINKS!!!! I feel your pain, Pisces.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

I've been back to work for three weeks, but I won't get my first check for another two weeks :eek:
    Luckily my NC school offered 12 month pay, so I got a paycheck on July 31 from them!!

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 10, 2013

You're really making me glad I was given the option of 10 or 12 month pay. Even more glad I went with the 12 month. I worked summer school but won't see THAT pay until 9/20, and it's earmarked for grad school.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2013

I hear you, Pisces. Buying almost an entirely new back-to-school wardrobe (while lots of fun) has been tough on the bank account. I'll get paid at the end of the first week back to school.

9. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Aug 10, 2013

Me too! I have been working a part time retail job all summer and let me tell you... only 30 hours at 7.25 an hour on one paycheck just isn't cutting it with my bills.

Can't wait to have my "big girl" paycheck back, haha!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2013

To answer your question, no, I don't need to worry about returning due to how I'm paid. But, I know how much of a bummer it can be when finances dictate when we have to return to work! I had the option of being paid in 12 monthly payments. I no longer work for that district, but I got a new job soon enough to where I won't miss even a month of getting paid from one job to the other. My new job doesn't pay in equal installments, but I am starting this new work at home job, so hopefully, I can quit my new job after this 2013-14 yr or maybe I'll just work 2 days a week just to stay busy.

11. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 10, 2013

I wanted all my money at once....and still will, but I need money now and glad to start getting paid on monday

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 10, 2013

I asked for 11 month pay last year and I'm keeping it this year as well. Subbing at the hall and a couple of days at summer school gave me a nice little paycheck for July (big enough to pay for all my bills, rent, food, etc), and now I'm getting my full paycheck at the end of this month, even though we're only going back on the 12th.

I also realized that we have some days we can work, for example all the spring, summer and winter breaks have juvenile hall in full swing, so even if I just work 1 week out of the 3 during winter break, it just about pays for my airplane ticket to Europe again next year :)

13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

As far as a steady check, it doesn't affect me, however, the having too much time on my hands does. I've been shopping too much. We're doing some remodeling and so I've been redoing somethings in the living room and bathroom and spending, spending...

14. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 10, 2013

No. I know my teacher friend in New Jersey with 10 month pay struggles during the summer and takes extra jobs.

I get paid over 12 months, so I don't have the same stress.

15. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

I would hate 10 month pay! I'm looking forward to August 20th because I should be getting a raise.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I don't eat right! I've put on 2 lbs this summer. :eek:

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 10, 2013

I'm not feeling the pinch this year like I have in summers past. I think it's because I didn't really travel this summer. I won't get paid until September 15th, though, so I may be singing a different tune then.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2013

I got used to it. Besides taking out each check, I've also learned a few tricks along the way.

Save every gift card you get for summer.

When I am at places like Target, I buy myself a gift card and stash it away for summer. Gas cards are the best!

During the school year, When I write out a check, I round it up to the next $5-$10 only in my check book. So if the bill was $37.12, I write it in my checkbook as $40.

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2013

I used to be paid once a month as well. I hated it! Thankfully we get paid bimonthly at my school. My next pay check comes on August 14th, which is coming up (thankfully).

20. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 10, 2013

I got paid every two weeks throughout the summer because I took the option to spread my paycheck over 12 months. I was supposed to have a summer job, but that fell through after I was strung along for several weeks, and by then it was too late to find anything else [that I would be willing to do].

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 11, 2013

I'm glad I'm not the only one who experiences this.

Teachers get paid 10 months/year. Thankfully, now that I'm an administrator, I'll get paid 12 months/year.

All my bills will be paid this month, but not a lot of money will be left over for extras (and I really LOVE extras)!

22. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 11, 2013

This is surprising to me! My mom's worked in 3 different CA districts and she's always gotten paid over 12 months, not 10! I thought that was the norm in this state.

I get paid twice a month for 12 months. It would be rough if I didn't get paid in the summer!! :(

23. Ted

Ted Habitué

Aug 12, 2013

My district went recently to the 11-month model, so it's been a bit easier.

Throughout the school year, I put away $1k each month into a credit union (where I have a HARD time accessing it - on purpose, I may add!) so that when July comes around I "pay myself" from that little nest egg. Makes life a LOT easier. :)

24. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 12, 2013

Me too...and we don't start until late, so my end of August paycheck will only be for 6 days of work. I won't get a full pay check until the end of September. I did make about 2,000 at summer school, which helps, but I spent a chunk on moving and I'll also have to register my car this month, which in my state costs about 400 bucks!

As far as being paid once a month, that's the norm around here and I love it! I was a little surprised about it when I started my first job, but it was easy to get used to. I get paid on the last day of the month, so I pay all of my rent/bills right away, and then I know how much I have left for the month. My friends who get paid every 2 weeks are always trying to juggle when they'll pay bills between their two checks. My rent/bills is more than half of what I make per month so 2 weeks of pay wouldn't cut it.

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 12, 2013

It's so easy to say oh, I'll pay myself and divide it yourself, but so hard to actually do it!

I'm dreaming of last summer, when I had started my new job June 1, so started getting paychecks then (I worked a bit hourly in May before starting full time), plus my school paychecks through August. Double paychecks for 3 months-ahhhh!

Not this summer though. :(

26. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 12, 2013

I'm ready to go back just because I am bored at home. My old school paid once a month on the last day of the month but my new school pays on the 1st and the 15th. So I will still get my last check on August 31st and then get paid again on the 1st for my new school. That will make for a nice beginning to September.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2013

So yesterday I got some really great news that I absolutely needed: I'll be getting paid from my new position on Thursday!! Since we started Aug 1, we got in before the cutoff and so get our first check in Aug instead of having to wait until Sept!

28. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 13, 2013

I did 10 months before, and I lived off of credit cards in the summer....still have the debt to prove it. I never did that again. Not having a choice is hard. The NC State Employees Credit Union offers a summer savings program for teachers. You should look into it if they have it in your area.