I think I'm going to go back to university for a second bachelors degree. Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

I'm researching a new UC that opened in my town in 2005. Because it's so brand new, they are pretty much taking in anyone. My brother got in and didn't even have all of the minimum requirements done. I'm hoping that they will still accept me. On their website, it looks like they are still taking applications. It said, after November 30 deadline, print out the application and mail it in. So, it sounds like they are still accepting, even though the deadline is long over. If not, I'll try to get into spring semester. I'm really excited. I plan to get a BS in physics and a minor in natural science education. I'm really, really excited. Then, I will take my CSET. I also plan to sub a bit, only in junior high and high school science classes while I work towards my BS. My husband is also interested in getting his masters in computer science. I think this whole resigning job mess might be a good thing. I would never have thought of going back to school.

What do you guys think? Am I insane for giving up on elementary ed and going back for a BS??? I do have a huge interest in science.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2008

Go for it! You know that is my attitude - if there is a dream you have, do it! You are still pretty young, yes, and no kiddos yet? It sounds like a great idea.

I am all for taking on new challenges. It makes life interesting. And you are right about something - often, those situations that seem so devastating at the time turn out to be blessings in disguise. Good luck to you and hubby!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 21, 2008

I say go for it! You never know when an opportunity like this will present itself again.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

My hope is that with a BS in science, it'll be much easier to get a job anywhere. yes, I'm young, only 25, 26 in August and no kiddos. So, I think that this is something that I have to go for. The more I think about it, the more excited I'm getting. I plan to call the college tomorrow and set up an appointment with a counsler. I wonder what they will say. Will they say that it's too late??? Will they say that I can't get a second bachelors degree????? I'm so nervous about what they will tell me.

6. smalltowngal

Apr 21, 2008

I can't see them telling you you can't get a 2nd bachelors degree. Good luck!

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2008

Just bring your enthusiasm and a list of questions! Will you meet with someone in the science dept.? And be sure to have your transcripts sent so they know what you already have under your belt when you meet. Yeah!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2008

A lot of what you already have should transfer erasing requirements for the first two years of work, maybe more (trust me I have two bachelors degrees then went back and turned one degree into a double major!) Before you agree though, be sure what they are going to transfer, that is the biggest mistake I made. I repeated classes I shouldn't have and while I learned new things, it was a waste of money. I have found the best way to get all of your transfer credits is to have the new school call the old school to get a course description (or use their online catalog) better yet if you still have the catalogs from those years you took the classes it speeds up the process. I got about 6 more credits doing that, it doesn't seem like much, but that is a lot of money. When I went for a review later they were able to transfer in more credits. It is worth your time to do it.

I say go for it, but with all the degrees I have (and 3 classes from my masters) it is obvious I like to take classes, so I am biased!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

I would like to meet with someone in the science department. I will call and make an appointment so I can ask them all of these questions. I plan to bring my transcripts upon the initial appointment.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

The university where I got my BS in liberal studies will not accept students wanting a second BS degree. You can go for a masters. I don't know if I'm ready for a science master. I rather go for a bachelors first. But, that's why I am nervous now.

11. smalltowngal

Apr 21, 2008

If its a start up college, I don't think they would turn you away for a 2nd bachelors degree.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

Thanks! Good to know. I like to take classes too, but you're right, I need to be careful so I can save money. Going to a UC will be a lot more money too!!!! :eek:

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

I'm hoping. Gosh, I'm really excited!! I knew my guardian angel was watching out for me. :love:

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 21, 2008

Peachy, whatever you do, get their promises in writing. Ask them to write you a memo regarding the meeting (where they tell you what they will accept) and what you are lacking "just for my records." Then they have to stick to it. My husband saved about 5,000 dollars, seriously, because the registrar kept forgetting what he had promised. My hubby kept every memo and would just pull it out of his file for reference. I learned this valuable lesson from him.

People usually respond well if you tell them, "Would you mind just jotting down a memo or some kind of note stating those requirements and what you are accepting, just so I have something for my records to guide me later on?"

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2008

Of course you're not crazy! :) The more you know, the better it will be for you. I plan on getting a 2nd Masters!

BTW, what's the name of this new university in California? I'm in southern California & I haven't heard anything.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

It's UC Merced.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

ACK! I'll be in college for about 4 years. Whew! I'll be 30 when I graduate. I'll be so old!!!!! :lol::rolleyes:

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2008

Thanks Peachyness. Merced's quite a way from me. Don't worry about your age. When I finish my 2nd Masters, I'll be about 37.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2008

Well, getting a second masters is very impressive. What will it be in?

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

I think you should get masters. From what I've seen, it's $10-20 per class more, and just another paper or two. :)

Masters will get your more jobs, and more money. BS looks nice, but the MS will stand above the crowd.

just my opinion....ask around, see if they offer masters program too. you probably have enough credits to finish in a year or so. you can take your time, and enjoy it...but it's like when I had to get my Child Care Permit. I was told to apply for the Site Director level, because one you get a permit, if you want something higher, you have to send in more credits and pay to get it evaluated again...so you might as well go for the highest thing!!

21. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Apr 22, 2008

No you are not crazy but if I was in your shoes I would just go for a Masters.

22. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

yeah, that's what I said...

hey blessed...isn't it 2am over there???...we should both be in the bed! :lol:

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

So, HR won't discriminate me if I have a masters? I heard that districts don't really like to higher you if you have a masters because then they have to pay you more. Plus, I figure, with a bachelors in a science field, I'll already have a better chance of getting a job since that is always what I hear from districts.

Oh, and if I go for a masters, don't I need to have strong knowledge in that field? I know a lot of science, but I'm not confident that I know enough. FOr example, I know I'm not ready to take the CSET in science.

24. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 22, 2008

Some counties and schools in my area prefer higher education.
    You do need fairly good background in the subject area. If you got your masters in science...what would it be in?

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 22, 2008

Thanks! It will be an MS in Communicative Disorders & the certification to be a speech-language pathologist.

I already have an AA in Education, BA in Behavioral Science, MA in Education w/ emphasis in Special Ed, a multiple subjects credential, & mild/moderate disabilities credential.

There was a time when I was thinking of getting a Ph.D., but not right now. But it's not totally out of the question.

26. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 22, 2008

Couldn't you just get a Masters in Science Education and/or Physics? Thats what I did Double Major in History and Legal Studies, Law Degree, and a masters in History Education.

27. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Apr 22, 2008

Peachy - How old will you be in 4 years if you don't go for the second bachelor's????????????????????????????

I couldn't say what it is like in other places, but here it sure seems like they will hire teachers with less education because of the pay scale. That would be a good question for the appointment. The dept. probably has some kind of handle on hiring practices.

28. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2008

Right, that's what I've heard. So, I called and they told me I could only make appointments for the morning. And walk-ins are only from 1-3. So, luckily, tomorrow is our short day (for our meetings) and we have no meeting tomorrow. So, it all worked out. I'm going to go at 2:00.

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2008

Peachyness I have learned from personal experience that two bachelors degrees do not move you up the pay scale. It doesn't have the same weight as a masters degree, so I woudln't worry to much about that

30. Cpd Crusader

Cpd Crusader New Member

Apr 23, 2008

If you get your Masters in physics and natural science education, You will have to opportunity to increase your pay as you continue you're teaching experience. Just a thought....

31. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2008

Well, bad news. I found out that the UC is very particular about accepting 2nd degree candidates. Their master program is very limited and I won't be able to go through their master program. He said that I should send in a letter of intent and he'll pass it along to the dean. I need to get the dean's approval first. Then, I can apply. He said I have plenty of time to apply. So, we'll see. If that fails, then I plan to just take some science courses during fall and spring quarters at our local junior college to brush up on scicne. Then, I will apply to my first university's open univerisity program where I can take a couple of methods courses without having to be admitted. I just have to pay $200 per unit, which isn't too bad. Then, I'll take the CSET in science. Doing the latter will also allow me to teach junior and high school science.

So, at least I still have options.