I think I'm a ghost employee AGAIN!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Master Pre-K, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2008

Hello All,

Okay...I might be really stretching this...but I think I have been screwed over again. In fact, I wanted to name this thread...I've been screwed again..but..well, you know.

Long story short...thought I had an offer, and ready to start. I wait around all day Friday for Parent Policy Committee president to officially give me second interview. No show. Director tells me to come in Monday, I will start. Calls me that night, tells me to bring official transcripts. Monday I come in, get fingerprints. And you guessed it...this Parent Policy person never shows. I'm waiting. Director tries to toss me in infant room. Uhh...I'm not buying it. I come out and she takes words out of my mouth. You can go, I'll call you tomorrow as soon as I get him. I can't start you until he approves you.

:mad::mad::mad: So, I won't get paid for today?!

Okay, for those of you unaware of the Head Start madness....a parent policy member must approve all staff. You usually meet parents at meeting, within the month you start. So this is really weird because I know any parent can approve me...what if this guy (God forbid) fell off the planet or something???

I think the only reason they rushed to get all my paperwork is because the Federal review is going on! The bigwigs are checking every piece of paper in every Head Start site.

So I wasted gas going to the new job that I'm not even sure I have. I'm supposed to wait around tomorrow, to see if they will call? And what if the guy doesn't show up again? Are they stringing me along??? :unsure:

Supposedly, other teacher is leaving in July. I think they have no intention of having me start before then! If that was the case, they should have told me!!! Not sure if I want to stick this out! Especially if they think I am going to be floating from room to room!

3. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 2, 2008

How frustrating! I don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say that I hope all will work out well for you and you will soon "know" what the right thing to do is.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2008

Thanks! I am so glad to have a safe place to vent!

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 2, 2008

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2008

but Zelda... I have had too many jobs like this. One place did not have money to pay me! They hire me on the spot, xerox my life away in the now infamous employee file, and then keep stringing me along, moving start date around. I am afraid they want an all purpose floating sub to cover all classrooms, and I think precious little infants and toddlers are cute, but I prefer Pre-K only!!!

and what you are saying makes sense...they don't want to pay 2 teachers. so why not be honest and say they want to have all my paperwork ready, but I will not start until July?! I think the job really is only 10 months, but they want me on file now..while Feds are there! Isn't one MPK for every 20 kids??

I'm seriously considering other interviews..:unsure:

7. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jun 2, 2008

Hmmm....my Community Action didn't copy my stuff until my first day on the job. (We also don't have infant/toddler rooms...we're only multi-age Preschool.)

It didn't occur to me they might be trying to stuff you into rooms while the Feds are there. If so, that's playing dirty. I know our ratio is 1 teacher to every 9 kiddos for Center Based (2 teachers, 18 kids max) and Home Based is 1 teacher for 12 kids, one day a week.

I'm re-reading what you've said, and you probably do smell a rat. It is horrible trying to get subs for HS, but to actually lie is pretty darn low.

It is hard for me to realize that our local community action is *not* the norm. (Example, they pay $13 hourly starting for a degreed teacher with a BS or BA. One County away they pay $8 for the same job.) My affection for our local Head Start clouds my mind. :D

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 2, 2008

9. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 2, 2008

I can answer you both with one number...

$45,000

I've been bitten by this bug, and I can't shake it.

10. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Jun 3, 2008

Wow. After following your posts, I can tell that you really care about the kids you work with. I can't imagine why else you'd put up with all this nonsense.

11. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2008

thanks newbie...

and I am seriously contemplating my future. tomorrow is my birthday. so I feel, this day is the the day to start planning the rest of my life. I feel if I can earn a good living in my chosen profession, why shouldn't I? But you know it's not just about the salary, it's working for organizations and schools that are sincere and care about their children and families. the whole NAEYC Code of Ethics!!! The way I see it, if they screw the staff...what on earth are they doing to everyone else? It's all about numbers with these places...making a quota..they want the money...and not much else! :unsure:

I may consider going back to being an aide...and do something else on the side. I love kids, but I don't like how I am being treated.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2008

update

Well, I am turning in for the night...but I wanted everyone to know that I never heard back from that school that supposedly hired me! :unsure:

I finally faxed over a letter stating that apparently there was some miscommunication over their desire to hire me, since I needed a 2nd interview and nobody has bothered to call and have me return! And I would appreciate recieving all of my personal documents back at once.

live and learn
    or crash and burn... :(

thanks for listening all!

13. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Jun 6, 2008

Sorry to hear that...

14. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 6, 2008

What about sending a certified letter so there is a paper trail?

15. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 6, 2008

that's crazy, let us know what (if) you hear back

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

thanks..

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

that's EXACTLY what I did!

18. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

I have another interview next week. But now I am kinda paranoid. Do they all do this? How can I trust anyone?! I hate to get ugly and say, "No, I will not give you copies of anything unless we have a formal and/or written job offer. I have given out my information in the past, and nothing happens. Hope you can understand my concern. " If they are legit, they will..if not, I guess I'll know. It makes me mad and nervous because I am afraid if I say that, they will change their minds.

:unsure:

19. newbie1234

newbie1234 Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Wow. Like I said before, the kids in your classroom are so fortunate to have you there. You obviously care about those kids so selflessly to put yourself through this kind of stress. It doesn't seem right that they extended an offer of employment and then left you hanging. I wish I had some good advice.

20. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 7, 2008

I want to believe that the Federal Reviewers have scared the pants off of all the Head Start sites, and rightly they should. If you aren't doing what you should be doing, somebody will catch you. Which means it will really be bad if they tried to pass me off as a staff member. If they call with some sob story about how busy they were with the Feds, tt doesn't matter to me now, whatever excuse they give me...it was wrong what they did.

I would only give them credit if they would have said we want you to start 7/1...but that was not the case.

I have to move on, because too much energy here will prevent me from finding something else. But thanks newbie..it does tell me that a place that is shady with employees is probably worse with the kids :(