I think I was out of line :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Marci07, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 21, 2011

My principal decided to make a list of teachers ranking them by their MAP scores. He shared this list with the entire staff yesterday. The scores were just broken down by classroom and there were no subgroups, even though you could have printed a report showing subgroups.

The problem was that the score for one of my classrooms was very low because there are about 8 sp. ed students who were pulled out for instruction, whom I didn't teach at all, but didn't make any progress.

I complained to the principal about this and one of the special ed teachers heard me. She later complained to my coworker, who is in my cluster, about us talking bad about her friend to the principal.

Her friend was a temporary special ed substitute who came 4 months ago and she did a terrific job. The students scored low because they went through 3 teachers this year, one of them who had to clue what to do because she was just a regular sub.

I feel bad that this teacher is going to tell her friend that we didn't appreciate her and we were saying bad things about her because that was not my intention at all.

Gosh, I hated this whole ranking thing. I feel that it creates more competition instead of collaborative work. I cannot even imagine what merit pay would look like. I feel horrible because I became very defensive and in turn I may have hurt someone’s feelings. 

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2011

I'm rather disgusted your principal did this.

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 21, 2011

Yeah, it sounds inappropriate - sorry this happened - sounds like some good vibes turned sour with this strategy!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

It's a terrible move on your principal's part. Can you call the teacher who thinks you were talking badly and speak with them personally?

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jun 21, 2011

Since she's a sub, she wasn't with us these last two days. I just checked her e-mail account and it shows that's still active. I just sent her a message asking her to see if I could get her personal e-mail or phone.

The teacher who complained is known to be a huge trouble maker and the queen of gossip (I just learned today).

We talked to the principal about this and he said that the temporary sub was the best and most professional special ed teacher he had this year.

I can't believe my principal still thinks this ranking thing is a good idea.

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 21, 2011

That's what I was going to say too. Explain the situation. I don't think it's out of line to ask for an accurate representation of your scores. You didn't teach those kids, you really shouldn't have them included.

To me, it's like posting grades in the classroom-is that really incentive for kids to do better?

8. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2011

This just reeks of more of where education is headed. Not a positive thing.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2011

Hopefully she gets back to you so that you can explain. Even pass along the principal's nice comment.

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 21, 2011

I also think it's a great example of 2 things:

1) How data is misused and not properly understood;

2) How administrators are often not properly trained, or selected to be administrators because they are highly skilled as administrators.

11. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jun 21, 2011

Awwww - sorry this happened to you. At least you are trying to make amends and I personally think that speaks volumes. I know that if my principal ranked us, I wouldn't take to it too kindly at all (no matter where I fell in the rankings). :hugs:

I mean could you imagine how angry parents would be if we posted a ranking of their child in the classroom??? :eek:

12. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jun 21, 2011

It's hard when self defense becomes offensive, isn't it? I'm sure once you clear the air, all will be well.

As to the ranking, that is just plain silliness. Let's do that with displays of students' work and see how that flies! The best on the top in descending order. That would be really motivational and encouraging, I'm sure. It's funny that the principles of education never seem to apply to certain principals. Sorry it has stressed you out.

13. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jun 21, 2011

My question: Did he have you line-up according to scores, girl-boy or height?

14. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jun 21, 2011

By all means tell the sub that you appreciate all that they have done. For the students not to have lost a lot of ground with that many subs is a job in itself.

I am a Special Ed. resource teacher and I would love to see my students results in a subgroup. But, I do not, I just have to look at the results and know in my heart that I have done my best when they improve and work harder if they don't.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 22, 2011

My dad's school does that. Not only is the whole idea completely ridiculous, but now all of the gen ed teachers at his school are fighting to not have the students who are in special ed or ESL in their classes because they know their scores will be lower.

At the beginning of the year, they literally have a big meeting with all staff and discuss why each kid who didn't pass failed. So they'll say Johnny didn't pass the math exam, and then put the spot on his math teacher and ask why she thinks he didn't pass and what they need to do to make sure he passes next time. At the beginning of my school year, the district put together a little slide show sort of celebrating every student who had passed our state test for the first time (so kids who had not passed before but passed that year). It was really nice- and then they even got up and acknowledged that of course all achievement is not measured by standardized test scores! I thought that was quite the interesting comparison to my dad's school.

I'm sure if you can just e mail her a little note, things will be ok- and I know she would appreciate knowing that you think she did a great job! I'm sure that was a difficult job to step into for a sub.

16. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 22, 2011

Wow! I'm sorry that this happened to you! I agree that that is bad judgement on the principal's part. Our administration shows us our scores, but only by grade level during grade level meetings. They don't rank by the school. With each grade level being different as well as each class... just a bad idea all around I think!

17. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 22, 2011

That was quite unprofessional of your Principal. Our ranked us but didn't put names down for everyone's viewing. He included it in with our final evaluation and highlighted our class scores individually. Even at that there were some resentments because a couple of mean teachers started talking about who they thought were the bottom teahcers.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 22, 2011

This is when I want a "like" button.

I can't believe your principal did this. To what end? Why doesn't he just release your salaries, too. That would be icing on the cake!

19. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 22, 2011

In my county, the newspaper has a database on their website - you can look up every teacher in the county and see EXACTLY how much they make. You can search by district, school, or name.

To hear of a principal doing this kind of thing...:eek::wow:

20. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jun 22, 2011

:)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 22, 2011

Your P was a LOT more out of line than you. What nerve of the P to rank teachers & show it to all. :mad:

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2011

I don't think your P should have ranked you guys this way. It's unfair to all of you, and I can't say I blame you for trying to explain the low scores to your P. I don't see that you did anything wrong, but I think explaining it to her will help her understand your point. Good luck!

23. dibba

dibba Rookie

Jun 23, 2011

Not to stay too off topic, but in my county you can look online for salaries of any government employee. (teachers, judges, cops, sanitation workers, etc)

24. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2011

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe privately within your grade level...but all together seems a bit immature!!!