I think I want to teach overseas

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeachinginFL, Dec 28, 2011.

1. TeachinginFL

TeachinginFL Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

Hello! I was not exactly sure where to post this, so I apologize ahead of time. If there is already a similar topic, please let me know.

Well, I am seriously thinking of teaching overseas. However, I have a few questions and concerns.

1-Do I need to take any sort of TESOL or other course before I attempt anything?

2-Anyone here have experience teaching overseas? How was it?

Thank you for your time!

3. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Dec 28, 2011

I haven't taught overseas, but I have looked into it. You need to do a quick search over what countries that you are interested and several programs should come up. Teaching in China, Korea, Saudi Arabia seem to be the easiest countries to break in to. France/Spain offer Teacher Assistant programs but they are competitive, and you the to know the home language well. Also, the TA program in France/Spain pay basically 800 euro a month, and you'll have to find an apartment to rent on that. I know the JET program in Japan is pretty highly regarded.

Each country comes with its own set of rules. Arabian countries have lots of laws restricting what women can wear and go. In China, you may not have running water. You have to do a lot of research, because you can end up in the middle of nowhere without a lot of "Western" amenities.

Good Luck!

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2011

If I were you, I'd find out when the next recruitment fair is and just go and talk to people. There's a big one in Ames, Iowa every year, Boston has one, and my niece just attended the one in Atlanta for South American schools. She hasn't finished her degree in art yet, but was offered a chance to do her student teaching with the school itself with the idea of having a job when she finished.

5. TeachinginFL

TeachinginFL Rookie

Dec 28, 2011

Thank you for the replies. Do you happen to know if there is a website for recruitment fairs? I am googling around now to see what I come up with.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 28, 2011

You could also look into the Department of Defense Education.

7. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Dec 28, 2011

I work in Abu Dhabi. I was hired through a company called Caneducom. I searched around a lot online and was offered a couple of positions in various areas of the world. Putting your resume out there with different websites is a good way to start. Also start to look at some of the different benefits and packages that the schools offer and see what would work for you. Things are very different in different parts of the world. If you are teaching in an international or private school then you will most likely just need to be certified in the subject area without any TESOL courses.
    For me, it has been a great experience moving abroad to teach. It is definitely different than the U.S. and has it's challenges in different ways than home but it is something I am glad I have had the opportunity to do. Not everyone has the opportunity to experience a new culture so I am thankful for the experience.

8. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 28, 2011

SandyCastles, what kind of school are you working at in Abu Dhabi (DoD, private, etc)? Did you go to any recruiting fairs or solely rely on Caneducom?

9. considdub

considdub New Member

Dec 29, 2011

Has anyone heard of Caneducom?

Hi,

I just applied to a company called caneducom, and I have an interview. Has anyone heard of the company and worked for them? What has your experience been. I have a family that I am making a decision for, so I need any good advice. Should I follow through with this?

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Rookie

Dec 30, 2011

Overseas Teaching

Hi. I am currently teaching in China and have previously taught in Japan and Egypt (and originally taught in Broward County, FL). You can find work as an ESL teacher, but if you are a certified and qualified teacher, you are much better off teaching in an international school.

Basically there are international schools anywhere in the world you may wish to consider living. Most schools (outside of Europe) will provide housing (or an allowance) and a tax free (from US taxes) salary equal or better then most US teachers make (and even a nice gratuity at the end of every school year, up to 10% of your annual salary).

Search Associates is a huge recruiter that provides members with an excellent database of school details (package, student make up etc) and holds job fairs around the world.

Start searching for international schools in places you would be willing/interested to live and take it from there. If you can get in to a decent school, it is possible to live a great life, travel and save over half of your salary (or one person's whole salary if you are a couple). Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind. We have loved teaching overseas and have no plans to return to the US anytime soon.

11. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Dec 30, 2011

I work at a public school in Abu Dhabi. I did not go to any recruiting fairs. I put my resume out there online and was contacted by a few schools but when it comes to teaching internationally you can afford to be picky, more so than you can with U.S. schools right now (it is the whole world, not just one country... lol). Then I found the position in Abu Dhabi and the recruiting company and worked with them. They were very helpful throughout the process and most of it was done over the phone or through email. They arranged a phone interview and then an in-person interview with people from Abu Dhabi which you would have to travel to, but they are located throughout the U.S. at various times. After that, they make sure all the paperwork you supply gets where it needs to go, etc...
    I think they did a great job and would recommend them. Very friendly and honest and able to answer questions. But once you are hired, you no longer work for them. You work for the schools you were hired for so you have to really look at the package you are being offered by the school. Of course, if you were to want to go to a different school at a later date, you could always use Caneducom again. I will say that they are good at maintaining communication even after we begin working for the schools.

12. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

Dec 30, 2011

Despite being almost 57 years old, I would work overseas if I could, but I won't give up my dogs.

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2011

The bicultural experience is priceless. I would encourage anyone seriously contemplating doing so to go for it.

14. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Dec 30, 2011

Many people who work with me fall into that age range. A lot of teachers retire and then come overseas. I actually am one of the younger teachers in my area and I am 27. I totally agree about the dogs, they are like family! I have a friend who flew her dog over to stay with her and know of others who have done it also, so it is possible depending on where you go.

15. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Dec 30, 2011

I definitely agree TamiJ

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Dec 31, 2011

My brother and sis-in-law just take their "precious" little pipsqueak of a dog everywhere with them. I'd be surprised if the dang thing doesn't have it's own passport.

OK. It really is a cute little dog.

My neice just got a job in Colombia. She has her dog with her.

Living overseas is a wonderful experience.