I think I talked myself right out of a job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Aug 13, 2016.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Aug 13, 2016

I work in a district that has some Title I schools and others that are incredibly affluent. I work in the Title I side, and I love it. I work in summer school with the students from the "rich" side of the district and I'm always happy to return to "my" kids. I feel at home there because I grew up in a similar socioeconomic area.
    This past week I interviewed in a district that basically all Title I. I feel like by being white and not bilingual, people are skeptical about my desire to work in that type of school. I think in trying to express my preference for working with the EL students and families, I may have overdone it and left a worse impression than if I'd just kept silent. I felt good about the interview until the last five minutes or so when we were talking about that issue. I hate interviews. It's so hard to say the right thing.

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2016

Well what did you say? It's hard to say the "right thing" -- or what you feel that they are searching for -- but there's definitely the WRONG things to say."I really don't want this job" or "I really don't like poor kids. There's no way I'd ever want to work with them!" or "I feel like the ELL's really need me because they'll never have the same advantages as their white, English speaking peers." You don't want to say anything like that! LOL I try to be authentic when I interview. I'm not going to play the mind game where I try to guess and tell them what I think they want to hear. If they like me, great, if not, that's cool too. Context, bro. We need to know what happened!

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Aug 16, 2016

I'm also curious to hear what you said. I am in the same exact situation...I find that explaining my preferences can be a bit tricky to word, as well.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2016

What did you say? I'm curious as well.

6. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Aug 18, 2016

I said that in my experience there is a lot of teacher collaboration and extra effort to give the students the same advantages that students in more wealthy areas have. My fear is that if their schools are not collaborative, like the school that I student taught in where teachers existed in their own rooms and rarely interacted, I might have come off as needing help. It's so hard to know whether they want a "team player" or if they're looking for someone who claims to be self directed. Most people can go either way in reality, but often in an interview, they label you as one side or the other.

If I had it to do over again, I'd mention the family feel that the Title I schools in my area have because so many of the families are related to each other. There are a lot of cousins in the schools. I also might say something about the richness of the culture being a support system.

7. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2016

I think if you expressed it as "My fear is... based on my experience..." I don't believe that's really offensive. It's not like you said, "ALL schools are like this or that." I mean the admin could read it as, "Wow, he thinks we don't work as hard as the others do," but I don't believe that's true. Though I will say, I too have worked in non title 1 schools and there definitely wasn't much collaboration going on. When I interned the dude only talked to his team during meetings when he absolutely had to. It was weird. I LOVE bopping in and out of my fellow teacher's rooms to see new things. Isn't it funny how this is a profession based on team - work and yet there are many teachers who don't unless they have to. People can be as offended as they want, it's true. Just like there's a lot of close- minded teachers who don't want to try new techniques or learn anything new. That's sad. But I think there's more pressure in Title 1 schools to perform. We ALWAYS had data meetings with our coach and were constantly having to justify everything we did. That didn't happen at the other schools I was in.

:)

8. ZoeMarie

ZoeMarie Rookie

Aug 19, 2016

I think your point about collaboration is a good one and if the school doesn't value collaboration between professionals would you really want to work there? I don't think valuing collaboration translates to "I need help"- although there is nothing wrong with needing a bit of help sometimes! Like Leaborb192 said being able to pop into other classrooms and talk with other professionals is one of the most valuable parts of teaching.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2016

:) And if you ever do feel like you're "bothering" your fellow teachers or wasting their time, I've got some choice words. We're ALL busy! It's not an excuse. Especially since we look to the veteran teachers for guidance, wisdom and sometimes we just need someone to vent to. I may be naive, but I really do feel like we HAVE to be in this together for the kids' success.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Aug 20, 2016

Most schools value candidates who are willing to embrace collegial interactions, making the PLCs stronger and more productive. Maybe phrasing it in those terms comes across better than family, although I think what you said seems reasonable and perfectly understandable. If the job doesn't come your way, I wouldn't to too quick to blame those last five minutes.

11. Lumi

Lumi Companion

Sep 11, 2016

So, did you get the job?