I Think I Lost Their Work!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Roobunny, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

:help: I think I lost homework my students turned in on Friday.

I have looked everywhere at school and checked at home, but it hasn't turned up. I am going to search for another couple of days, but what should I do if I can't find it? :thanks:

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 22, 2013

Was it anything important, or just a generic homework assignment. If it was just a generic homework assignment, they'll all forget about it in a few days, anyway.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2013

I wouldn't worry about it. If it was something you wanted to grade, you can just assign a similar paper this week. It happens.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 22, 2013

I would just give them all full credit for it unless it was something particularly important or that they put a great deal of time into.

6. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

It was just a generic homework assignment - nothing important.

7. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

We can't grade homework, anyway, so I wouldn't be worrying about it at all personally. If it was just a short worksheet or something simple, I'd just forget about it unless you really need the grade. If you do need the grade, assign something else like it this week.

8. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 22, 2013

Then no sweat. If someone asks once, just say you didn't get to it yet (it's true!). After the next assignment or test/quiz, they'll forget about the HW. If someone still remembers and asks again, just say you gave them all credit.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 22, 2013

Chalk it up as an oops and move on. :)

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

It happens. I wouldn't even put it into the gradebook if it were me. I'd just pretend that it never happened. :whistle:

Last year I lost a stack of exams. Thankfully I had already recorded their grades. The problem was that I couldn't show them to the students. My suspicion is that a student came to my desk for help, set down their book or notebook on top of the stack of graded tests, and accidentally picked it up when they picked up their stuff. No one ever fessed up to it, though. I guess the other possibility is that the stack slid off my desk and into the garbage. I'm not a crazy paper stacker, though, so this seems really unlikely to me. It was the weirdest thing.

11. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 22, 2013

I'm going to go against the grain and say you should just be honest. This happened once when I was in school, and the teacher kept trying to pretend it didn't happen over and over as we pressed to know where our assignments were. Eventually, she came up with some story about her dog. We KNEW she had lost them weeks earlier, and it just made us lose respect for her. Teachers make mistakes too. Since it was something small, I'd give them full credit to make up for it. :)

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2013

I don't think 2nd graders will be too interested in knowing how they did on a generic homework assignment.

13. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 22, 2013

Whoops! I think I mentally combined threads and thought this was high school. I'm feeling sick, that's my excuse! :p I'd just forget about it.

14. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Sep 22, 2013

LOL! Thanks guys :)

I'm sure it will turn up, but if I can't find the papers by the time I need to have grades in, I won't sweat it.

15. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 22, 2013

I've lost homework a couple of times. Since I don't return homework anyway (high school), I just gave everyone full credit. Those who flaked on the assignment benefited from my absentmindedness. :p None of them every complained.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2013

I agree, absolutely. I'm honest with my kids. When I mess up, I 'fess up.

I would give everyone credit for the homework, and move on. It's one homework. If one or two kids get one day's credit they didn't deserve, well I guess it's their lucky day. Statistically, it will make no difference at the end of the year.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 23, 2013

Did you check the couch? That's where my missing stuff goes. One time I lost keys in there for 4 years! I found them on moving day :)

In all seriousness, it's no big deal. They will forget about it in a few days. I wouldn't even record that in your book.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 23, 2013

I wouldn't worry about it.
    I've been in the middle of grading before and realized how badly my class did on an assignment (in both 2nd and 5th) and just tossed the whole set of papers. No one ever asked.

Note: If it was the concept they didn't understand, I would reteach. If it was the assignment/directions, I'd just move on and rely on formative assessments.

19. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2013

Honestly it's completely foreign to me that an elementary school teacher would grade and record hw grades. I purposely throw out worksheets because we have so many and if I send them home half the kids never take them out of their folders.