I think I have stress...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Danny'sNanny, May 19, 2008.

1. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 19, 2008

Today was a very rough morning at school. (we're only 1/2 day).

Then, as soon as the last parent showed up, I rushed to the office to try and make a phone call before noon. Well, my cell phone won't work- apparently, I forgot to pay the bill last month, so my service was disconnected. I NEVER forget to pay my bills!

So I grab the office phone, and make my call, and it is 12:01 and they've gone to lunch.

I go home, eat some lunch, and then call back. I was calling an apartment complex that I was interested in- they were our plan B if we didn't find a decent house to rent. Well, they have no one or two bedroom apartments available until July. And i don't really want to live in my truck for a month!

So I go through the paper and call every single rental, and they are all so far from my bf's work that gas would bankrupt us (he drives a 1964 pickup- it's beatiful, but goes through gas...).

So all day I've been fighting back tears, because everything we like we can't afford, and everything we can afford is across town in scary neighborhoods.

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

May 20, 2008

Oh, I do not have any advice for you, but a big hug. I hope your day gets better and you can find something. Good luck! Sending hugs!

4. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 20, 2008

Looking for a place is so stressful that I have declined moving from my present location to somewhere else even though this place is all wrong for us simply because the looking process is so intense.

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

The most frustrating part...

Weeks ago, when I started really looking, everything I found was available immediately. We didn't go for them, because we couldn't afford to pay 2 rents for a month.

Now that we have a week and a half to move, every place I call says, "Oh...that ad? Well, the house isn't actually available until July..."

Why is it in today's paper then!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I did find one apartment today. I could take the interstate to work, and it would take about 10-15 minutes. Bf could also be to work in about 12 minutes.

And he's whining that it's too far away.

Ummm...we're out of choices here hon!

So he's looking into an apartment about a half a mile from his work. But it's $600 for one bedroom! I'd rather pay that for two bedrooms and drive ten minutes.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

12 minutes sounds like a great drive! Mine used to take 18-20, which is a lot for me, but now it takes 25-30 because they are renovating the main gate (it's a military base). I would love a 12 minute drive. But I know what he means-I used to love working a mile or 2 from my job, but I got used to the longer drive really quickly.

7. Turtle321

Turtle321 Companion

May 20, 2008

Wow, I would take it. A 2 bedroom here goes for $1600!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a 1 bedroom is around $1000-$1200. :eek:

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

If we went a few neighborhoods over, a two bedroom would be 550-600. A little farther, and two bedrooms are 400 (those are the scary parts of town though).

So I'm not jumping on the one bedroom for 600 boat just yet.

I can't imagine paying $1000 rent! Right now we're renting a 3 bedroom, two bath house, with a decent yard and two car garage, in a nice enough neighborhood, for $750!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 20, 2008

Our rent is 975 for a two bed two bath two car garage and full basement. Nothing included. and we have 0.96 of an acre.

10. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 20, 2008

In my hometown DH (then bf) rented a three bedroom, 1 bath house with laundry room and nice yard for........$475! :woot:

11. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

Blah. I just called the place that's 10-15 minutes away, and they don't have anything till July.

The other place I called doesn't update their website, so all of their "available now" rentals haven't actually been available for a while.

I've been calling places all afternoon, yesterday and today, and i'm about to give up. Plus I have a migraine.

I think bf is going to call our property manager and ask for 30 more days, and we'll get on waiting lists for various apartments. BUT, to get on the waiting lists, you have to pay the deposit now, and you can get it back if you don't take the place. So we'd be shelling out tons of $$$ in deposits, and trying to pay our rent here all by ourselves (his brother was living with us, and got a job in another state in March, and our other roommate is moving in with some people that can stand him- cuz I can't ;) )

12. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 20, 2008

Maybe they would let you move in earlier if you offered to do the cleaning, painting, or whatever. We rent an apartment attached to our home, and I would gladly let someone move in early if they offered to clean the carpet and paint - I would even give them a couple hundred off the rent!

13. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 20, 2008

Blah.
    I was driving around looking for houses, and two that I just called on have "for rent" signs in front. And the property manager said an hour ago that they both are occupied for months still.

Arrrrggghhhhhhh!

Why do they even bother having signs up?

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 20, 2008

Not only do they put up signs waaayyy before you move out of the house but they require YOU to sign a HUGE agreement agreeing to stay in the place for a really long time or else.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

May 20, 2008

Wow, Danny's Nanny, the place you are renting now sounds like a great deal! I'm trying to find a 1 bedroom apartment with a washer and dryer, but the only ones I can find in a decent area are at least $700!

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 21, 2008

Wishing you some good luck. I'm sorry its so hard to find a place. what if you could find some one that needed a house sitter......... some people go on vacations and need some one to take care of the pets and house. IF there are no listings in the paper put up a notice at church.

17. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

Well, we called the property manager and we're going to stay here for the summer.

Sometime in the next few days, I guess I'll go back to the apartments we liked and get on the waiting list.

Bf got a raise yesterday, so that will make it a little easier to swing the rent by ourselves till we move... ;)

But I still have a migraine! Oh well, now i can just lie on the couch and not worry about finding a place

18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

I feel for you, Danny'sNanny, but I also envy you. We are the process of moving from one apartment to another, and we overlapped by two weeks. Which wouldn't be so bad, except our rent for our current 1 bedroom, 700 square foot is -are you ready for this?- $2700 a month. Our new place is slightly better for $2125 a month. We rejoiced when we figured out how much a year that would save us. Deposits around here are ONE AND A HALF TIMES RENT (can you imagine how large that check was??), so that overlap was killer. I am still going to have to drive 45 minutes to work this fall. So hand this post to your darling boyfriend and tell him to suck up his 12 minute commute to work. ;)

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

Oh my goodness. I really can't imagine spending that!

The difference between different parts of the country, I guess...

The town we live in now is big compared to where we grew up, but it's pretty small compared to other places.

One of my professors told us that we're one of the lowest-SES counties in the nation. It scares me to think that the two of us are barely getting by, and my student's families are raising several children on the same income!

20. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

What does SES stand for?

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 21, 2008

socio economic status

22. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 21, 2008

Yeah, but I'll be making less next year as a fourth year teacher than I've read some first years post on here-under 40K. So salaries aren't keeping up with cost of living, that's for sure.

23. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 23, 2008

Isn't that the truth-we are in negotiations, and our board proposed a 2.5% raise. Bringing our base pay to--are you ready for this?--$26,250. Please.

I may have to go start another thread!

24. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 23, 2008

DN, while you may live in the lowest SES county, I would bet that salaries follow along with that. That doesn't mean you would be more comfortable in other places though. You would probably just spend more money to live in a different place.

I can't believe your rent though!! I just talked to a friend of mine in Sioux Falls SD and she is looking for houses because the mortgage would be less than their $600/month rent on a two bedroom apartment. It is impossible to find $600 rent on a one bedroom place in the city here. IF you do, I would fully expect to be robbed or have the roof fall in within the month.

We bought a 2 bedroom townhome two years ago and our mortgage is about a dollar per square foot. I was kinda sad when I realized that. I'm working to value all square footage now. :)

25. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 23, 2008

I realize that.
    Many families around here struggle to make even $10-15,000/year. It was a big shock to me when I looked at the income requirements for the program I worked in this year- If I had a child, we wouldn't qualify!

I think the school district here pays about $32,000 to start though, which is pretty good around here! As an aide, I make $7, which is more than anywhere else would pay!

I am worried about next year; we're going to move when I graduate. Bf could make a lot more money somewhere else, but we live fairly comfortably here, and it might be a struggle for a year or two while we get settled somewhere else. Hopefully, where ever we move will need teachers and graphic designers, and we'll both get decent jobs!