I think I have finally found my theme!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jul 23, 2008.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2008

How does Mrs. Whatley's World Travelers sound? I plan on using maps and flags to decorate the walls, along with travel posters (if I can get any), postcards & such. I have an entire wall (or at least the upper half of one) of windows, and I'll be making curtains, which I will be velcro-ing to the existing blinds (that I have to keep). A footlocker will be my prize container, and I hope to cover it with stickers for places everywhere!

I would love to find a HUGE print/poster of the Hogwart's Express as it is coming out of a tunnel - say what you will about HP, that is a cool train!

I think my kids are really gonna like this - most of them will never get out of this town, so it's definitely something different. We'll have some things that only our class will do. For instance, I plan to teach them several greetings and farewells in different languages. It will be like our secret password, and no one else will know what they mean!

I may use some "road sign" posters, but not many, because I want the majority of my stuff to be international. I may even have days when I serve the children ethnic foods! Our first social studies unit is all about being a good citizen - of the world, the country, the parish, the city, the neighborhood, the school, our class, and the family, so this will tie right in!

I'm looking for all the ideas I can get, so feel free to comment! Please!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2008

Very exciting!

4. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

Sounds like a fun theme! I went to Target last week and found some Landmark flashcards from around the world. On the front is a color photo of the landmark and on the back it shows where it is located and has a paragraph of info on it. It may be helpful for your theme...and only $1!

5. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 23, 2008

I love your theme idea! I wanted to do a travel theme at one point but wasn't very good at coming up with ideas to go along with it. I was trying to come up with a way to incorporate a passport into their yearlong learning, so maybe you could do something along those lines?

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 23, 2008

ARGH! I was just at Disney, and they had the coolest road signs with the characters. Oh well. Take a look for anything you can use, pwhatley, and I'll help you brainstorm tomorrow.

http://www.realclassroomideas.com/193.html

7. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Oh that is too cool and it works well with your last name! Make sure to share some pictures with us when you are all set up!

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

9. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jul 24, 2008

10. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2008

As usual, y'all are fantastic!

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Tape the opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics, especially the parts with the athletes carrying their flags and possibly in ethnic dress.

12. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 24, 2008

I just got a neat BB set from Carson-Dellosa (CD-110028) called Postcards from Around the World. It has 12 large postcard fronts and backs from Russia, France, Australia, China, Greece, Mexico, Egypt, Amazon, India, Canada, NYC, and Grand Canyon (AZ). The backs of the postcards have friendly letter and address examples and lots of facts about the locations.

13. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

PW your idea sounds great! I would try getting in contact with a travel agency, airlines, bus company, train? Maybe they have some posters they would send or know where you can get them. I would ask several travel agencies.

Just FYI--my son in law asked a movie theater for the new 6ft tall cut out of the batman movie so they wrote his name on the back of it and told him he could have it on a certain date. I know they are big but some would have been really cool to use in the classroom.

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2008

We had a librarian years ago that got some great things from Target! She got some bunny cutouts from spring displays that hung from the ceiling that were so cute!

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 24, 2008

If you belong to AAA you should be able to get some free maps from them. When I lived in CA I went to my local AAA and got a world map for free that I hung up in my office.

I think it's a great idea. If you do it I can offer some advice for St. Lucia day celebrated in Sweden on December 13th. I did that with my Kinder class this past year.

16. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 24, 2008

You have a wonderful idea,Missy's olympic suggestion is great.Use the children and their parents,grandparents and relatives and friends to help you with your program.I have done food fairs where the parents brought in food from their countries and we all had a great lunch,the whole grade participated.You might also ask some of the parents to come in to speak about their country,bring pictures,costumes,videos or other things they could share.I had a girl from China dress up in her traditional dress and do a fantastic dance for the children.
    Good Luck with your idea,it certainly sounds like a great deal of fun!

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 24, 2008

This is great! I have seen bb sets that consist of "postcards" from around the world. They are actually poster sized. You could probably also find some sort of alphabet with pictures from around the world as well.

18. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 24, 2008

Ooooh, I would love to have parents/grandparents to participate or help or even just watch! My kiddos are, well, shall we say, NOT of varied ethnicities/cultures? According to the admin at my new school, my little angels are doing good to have 3 meals in a day, and have very little positive interaction with adults. In addition to teaching them, I will be loving them as much as possible!

19. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 24, 2008

Try to get an international pen pal class, pwhatley! We're writing letters to a classroom in England and a classroom in the Republic of Georgia. I have a contact in Italy-I can't remember what grade, but PM me if you want more info.

20. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

21. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 25, 2008

You might try calling some travel agencies or even emailing some embassies.

22. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2008

I plan to, Teacher Chele! Ancientcivteach - thanks a bundle! Jem - I'm not quite sure what we will do yet. I'm considering a postcard swap (as a class), but haven't figured it all out yet.

23. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

Speaking of embassies, I've heard if you write and ask, many foreign ones will send you their flag. We had a ton in my last library, and it was rumored that's how the librarian got them. She had the kids write and ask for them.

24. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 25, 2008

Great idea, Jem! At Hobby Lobby today, I purchased a couple of decorative suitcases that look as if they have been covered with old world maps. The larger one will be my prize case! I initially wanted something like an old steamer trunk, but this will take up less room, and the kids will more readily identify with a suitcase. At least they have seen them on TV, if nothing else. I also "hit" Goodwill today - got 35 books! yippee! I got lucky again at JoAnn Fabrics, where I picked up the industrial strength Velcro that I will use to attach curtains to my windows (cinder block walls), and "skirting" to my under-window (very low) open shelving. I hope to paint EVERYTHING, but will still need to hide the clutter. I went online to Carson Dellosa, and ordered their Postcards Around the World (posters) kit. That should get me started while I get creative with the rest!

25. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

pwhatley, your room will be great! I'd like to see the finished project. Your students are going to love it.