i think i blew it...need your take

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by teachmemath, Jul 25, 2006.

1. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 25, 2006

Hello my fellow teachers

Today I got a call for an interview for tommorrow which threw me off guard. The secretary asked could I come in tomorrow? I said no..how about thursday. she said he is busy. ok. how about friday..she said no he won't be here. ANd then I said how about next week and there was a 5 second pause and she said um..I will have to get back to you.
    That response didn't sound so good. I don't think they will call back. What do you guys think?

The reason why I said no to tomorrow was that I wasn't mentally ready to handle it. I need a day or so to prepare. Is there anything wrong with that??
    I need your input.
    Thank you

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 25, 2006

Interviewing is really tough. They set aside the certain days that they're going to interview and expect everyone to be able to be there at the administrators' convenience. That was the main reason why I was hoping to not work this summer. I spent all last summer taking time out of work to be able to interview and find myself doing the same thing this year. My boss realizes, though, that interviewing is what is important to me and I'll take unpaid time off if that's what I need to do. Anyway, I hate to say it, but you may have lost your opportunity to interview. If they were hoping to be finished with the interviews tomorrow they may not want to still be interviewing people next week. I really hope that's not the case and that you get a phone call about interviewing next week, but they may have set aside tomorrow for interviewing and that's it.
    It really stinks that we're just expected to be prepared and available whenever they decide they want to interview us, but that's just the way it goes when you're looking for a job, I guess.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 25, 2006

I would have to agree with Beth. I think you may have kissed your opportunity to interview goodbye. Unfortunately, it is a "hiring market". There are so many applicants that the principals have the availability of being picky. And with so many "soon-to-be" hired teachers out there, you have to be able to bend over backwards and kiss some bootie when needed. For example, when we interviewed last summer for a 5th grade position, we did so on one day. Actually, it was more like one morning. If the candidate was available, we met with them. If not, we didn't have another option.

If I were you, I would make a call back to the school in the morning, offer an apology and the excuse that you had to rearrange some things but would be willing to come in at ANY time.

5. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 25, 2006

I think I would have gone tomorrow. With the start of the school year fastly approaching, they may be wanting to hire some quickly.

I really do hope they call you back, but I probably wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Maybe you could call them back and tell them that you can interview tomorrow afterall?

6. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 25, 2006

I have to agree with Beth...sorry! I think the nature of this career is flexibility, and WE, the TEACHERS, are the ones who must be flexible!! Before I was hired last year, I prepped something to wear in case I got that "Can you come down right now?" call. It didn't happen that way, and my principal was kind enough to give me some time, but that's what I did.

Don't beat yourself up--but now you know! Prepare tonight for tomorrow's "potential" call. (Not sure what I would do about that call today, but could you call the office first thing in the morning, and ask if you can still have consideration? I wouldn't volunteer too much info, but perhaps they will think you had a schedule conflict. ?? I don't know if I would take my own advice here--but it depends on how much you need the interview!) Good luck!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

I agree with the others. I have asked for different days or later in the day times and the principals are never flexible in the times. They just assume we can drop everything else and come right in.
    I am so nervous about the interview I want to get. I am afraid the principal is going to ask me to come in Friday or Monday and I will be out of town on other interviews both of those days.
    Best of luck. Get your suit ready and go tomorrow if they still have a slot for you.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2006

Call back and say that you rearranged your schedule because you did not want to miss the opportunity to interview. Then ask if you could please have an appointment.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2006

I would certainly call first thing in the morning to let them know that you were able to "rearrange prior obligations." Good luck! :)

10. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2006

:( Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago when a principal emailed me and said that she has been looking for me and wanted me to come in for an interview THE NEXT DAY!!! (My phone was disconnected briefly so she emailed me). She even left her home number just in case I got the message after school hours. Anyway, I called her and they not only wanted me to do an interview, but do a demostration lesson the very next morning. Needless to say, I felt unprepared to do a demo lesson in less than 24 hours, but I got down to business and came up with a very good reading lesson for 2nd graders. They complimented me....and I am in the process of scheduling my 3rd and final interview. So in a nutshell.....it was worth the headache, panic and confusion because I'm hoping to get this job. So just swallow your pride, call in the morning and walk in with a smile, even if you feel unprepared, they will understand that they called you last minute. Just make sure you are on top of your game when you walk in that interview room tomorrow or whenever you can get an appointment. GOOD LUCK...I know how you feel.;)

11. eagerbeaver

eagerbeaver Rookie

Jul 26, 2006

DO call back and say you changed your schedule and you are available to come in. Don't ask if you can still come in...just say you can come in!

12. Pixiewannabe

Pixiewannabe Comrade

Jul 26, 2006

Even if you feel unprepared walk in with confidence thats one of the things they are looking for ~ Good Luck and lets us know what you decide to do.

13. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 26, 2006

Thank you all so much for your responses. I knew I could count on this board as to what to do. Unfortunately I decided not to call them back. I looked up on their website as to how the students did on their end of grade test and they weren't so good. I also looked at survey's conducted by teachers on their experience at the school and they too were not that good. I think this was a blessing in disguise. I will look else where.
    I decided if i don't find something before school starts I will sub at that district and do part time at a tutoring center and do my own tutoring on the side until something comes up.

14. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 26, 2006

It's nice that you have those options--many others on this board HAVE to get work in order to have benefits and some sort of security. I guess it's "all relative"! Count your blessings!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 26, 2006

All of our interviews have to be conducted in front of an interview committee . . . which typically consists of the principal, the assistant principal, three teachers from the council, one/two parents from the council, and the head of the department. That's a LOT of people to get together in the middle of summer.

Two weeks ago we had three candidates for two positions. We had all three interviews set up back to back, and we were going to make the decision THAT DAY. Well, one of the candidates said that he wasn't going to be "in the area" that day, but he'd "call us" when he had time to come in.

We figured that he didn't need a job that badly!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 26, 2006

I was going to say that based on how the situation happened, it's not looking good. But, now that it didn't matter to you anyway that you probably missed your chance, then it's ok. The way I live my life is that things happend for a reason, so if I don't get something (such as a job, etc.), I don't fret. Something that's meant for me will come my way.