I take My IL Basic Skills Test On June 24th

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Suburban Gal, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 16, 2007

Well as seeing how my Reading Comprehension, Language Arts, and Math scores all seem to run the same and my Essays get a 1, 2, 3, or 4 and not a 5 or 6, I decided to really concentrate on my Essay writing skills.

Since I've been out of school for 4 years or so, I decided to register for ENG 104 (Individual Writing) and meet with a tutor at the local community college once a week for an hour.

I feel quite confident and have been having my tutor constantly rate my essays. I've gone from a 2 to a 6 with 4s and 5s being the bulk of where my writing is at.

My tutor said she allowed an hour for the Essay and the 4 remaining hours for the rest of the test. She said she felt she would've been better off with an hour and a half for the Essay portion so told me I should consider an hour and a half for myself. Normally, I'd only have about 10 to 25 minutes for an Essay because I was so slow at everything else.

This is my 4th attempt with the IBST (Illinois Basic Skills Test) and my 5th time total for a Basic Skills Test if you count the PRAXIS. God knows I've spent a lot of money trying to pass a Basic Skills Test and really don't want to spend any more. So if ENG 104 doesn't help me this time, I don't know what I'll do. I've already been through the Basic Skills Test prep at the local CC. So going through that again would be kind of awkward. Guess I could audit ENG 121 (English Comp I) if ENG 104 fails, but hopefully it won't.

WISH ME LUCK! :)

I'll actually be travelling to the test site with one of my uncles who's taking a content test in CIS. Not to mention, my mother. She wants to take the Basic Skills Test too! So, it looks like my test date will turn into a lovely family outing as well.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

4. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 16, 2007

I'm actually going to have to break down and take this if I want to go to grad school for my type 4.

I took the praxis to get into school and therefore when I switched my certificate to IL I was one day before the deadline to have to take the test. So I had my 10 issued without having to take the test.

I haven't done math like that since high school which was sad to admit almost 10 years ago. I am going to have to look into it.

I am also nto looking forward to giving ISBE anymore money. I took the APT, The Sped (LBS 1) test, then they came out with the ECSE test (and the state couldnt' decide if I needed it or not--- c'mon you're the state) so I took that, and now I am going to have to take Basic skills and the ECE one. I've sure given a lot of my saturdays up to McCorrmick Place. Not to mention a lot of my hard earned cash that could be better spent elsewhere.

I haven't had to repeat any of the tests, but still overall 5 tests is going to cost me almost 300 or more dollars. Thats ludacris.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 16, 2007

Elizabeth... good luck! I took Basic Skills before they changed it, I think. I'm glad I don't need the newer version. :) You've been practicing, you can do it!

Turtle... Unless they've changed the EC test significantly from when I took it 4 years ago, you'll be JUST FINE. It's all practical knowledge and the stuff you pick up being around kids.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 16, 2007

Clarenet--

I passed the ECSE test with flying colors. It's just that I am sick fo giving money to ISBE. I'm more mad about giving up a Saturday at McCormick Place--- At least I can eat in Chinatown afterwords eh?

7. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Apr 16, 2007

Well, if you do break down - I'll think good thoughts for you.

That's a real bummer to miss it by one day. I feel for you. God only knows how I'd feel if it was me.

It's been a long time since my mom's done any math too so the math section is what worries her the most. She really wants to audit some math classes at the local CC, but my uncle is pretty insistant she'll be fine.

I hear you. I've already given them about $500 myself just for the Basic Skills Tests alone.

When you stop to think about it, you're right. That's good hard earned cash that could be used elsewhere.

If you ask me the NTS charges too much for these things.