I Survivied My First Day!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DressageLady, Aug 18, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

Oh.My.Gosh!!! I had my first day as a "real" teacher today and what a trip! It is like herding cats. Only harder. First graders are harder than kinders, I think (I student taught in a kinder class).

I ended the day with the same number of students that I started with, so it could have been worse! And I am only slightly sick to my stomach at the thought of going back tomorrow and doing it all over again.
    Sheilah

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

So glad you survived! All in all I know you feel great,even though I'm sure you are exhausted.

My first real day as a teacher was in 1st grade so I know what you mean.

Set those expectations and procedures and I'm sure you'll be fine!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2014

I love your "herding cats" analogy! Good One!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2014

Glad you survived ;)

6. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 18, 2014

This group is very talkative and I have a feeling we might be revisiting expectations and procedures daily...until spring break.

The P came in to visit just as I was realizing the huge mistake I made in allowing them to get up and sharpen their pencils. I had a can of sharpened pencils ready, and I should have just had them come up one at a time and get a sharpened one. But NO! I had to okay a mad rush of quivering six year old bodies, all log jammed at the sharpener...while the P was there.

The P called me as I was shutting up my room and told me that I have a new student coming in tomorrow. So that puts me at 20 kiddos. I had three no shows today, so I just had 16.

I am so tired. And my feet hurt. But the day was kind of cool, too, in a masochistic way.
    Sheilah

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 18, 2014

I call third grade herding chipmunks, so I definitely understand the imagery!

Glad the first day went well, but make sure you are very clear about expectations. These first few days will set the tone. If you can't get them to stop talking this week... you're in for a long year.

8. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Aug 18, 2014

I'm glad you survived!!! I hope I do the same when our first day arrives in 2 weeks! They told us that the average class size can be 25..I am sooooo hoping that I don't get more than 20.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Congrats on surviving your first day--it's always good to end the day with the same number of students you started with :lol:.

Enjoy day two!

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 19, 2014

Grade 1 is intense at the beginning! I've done it 3 times and the beginning of the year doesn't get any easier. It sounds like you are doing well! Keep going!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Congrats on surviving day 1!

12. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

Congrats!

Congrats on finishing your first day! My grade level chair always says the most important thing on the first day is "get them to lunch, and get them home." It takes a while to get into the swing of things. :) I hope you have a great year!

13. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2014

Survive is the right word. I had my first day back with the kids today too and ouch (they are the same age as first grade, but we have an extra year in between K and 1st, but it´s the same thing). I always forget how hard the beginning is..I remember that I hate it, but I forget just how painful it is...Not to mention I have a couple of boys who don´t listen very well....

14. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 19, 2014

Day two was better. I learned my lesson yesterday regarding the endless parade to the bathroom. We are improving our lining up and will continue to practice the appropriate behaviors. A lot.

My big problem at this point is feeling like an idiot regarding the procedures specific to this school. They have the most confusing lunch system ever. And nobody told me how to do it, so yesterday and today I was trying to figure it out. Guess I did it wrong, because the P came in during prep and asked if she could have a few minutes to "review lunch procedures" with me. I smiled and said of course I had the time. I wanted to say that it wouldn't be a review, since nobody had told me what to do to begin with. It would be more of an introduction. But I kept my mouth shut, took notes and hope to get it right tomorrow.

I don't like feeling like such an incompetent boob. I figure I should go easy on myself for the first couple of weeks. I didn't have a chance to meet with the other first grade teachers before in-services started last week. And when they came back, they were busy getting their own rooms together. I have to say that I am still envious of the two new fifth grade teachers. They had their seasoned partner in the building three weeks ago. That kind of hand holding would have been awesome!
    Sheilah