I survived...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by soleil00, Dec 21, 2011.

1. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 21, 2011

my first Christmas party! Well my first party in general!

Question though... I had two moms show up an hour early to help me set everything up and get the kids presents. None of the others helped, they just stood around staring. I want to give the two moms that helped a gift card to a local coffee shop or something similar.... would that be too much? My mom thinks I should just get them a card and go on.. not give them a gift card. Either way I want to thank them for going way out of their way to help me. They knew I was drowning and dived in with floatie arms.

Have yall ever done anything like that for parents that help?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

A card would be nice. A gift card is more than you need to do. It was a party for their kids -- they should have helped. In the future, just say in a loud voice, "Okay, now which parent is going to pour the juice, and who is going to hand out cupcakes?" Sometimes parents want to help but have no clue what to do, but really want to do something.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 21, 2011

Yes, although I haven't given gifts to parents in several years now. I'd be careful giving a gift card to 2 parents that helped and none to the 2 that were there that didn't help. Those 2 that didn't help might feel it wasn't there fault as they didn't know what to do--even though I am sure there was plenty to do. I would give the 2 parents a really nice handwritten thank you note and send it by mail. That might mean more than a gift to them.

5. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 21, 2011

Well I figured it might be too much, I've always been over the top. I will probably end up getting them a card.

It isn't like I had a lot of parents come, about.... 4 maybe.

Either way, I learned! I'm definitely going to encourage parents to help next time instead of doing it all myself, I'm tired! Rookie mistake ;)

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

If they are regular volunteers, I would wait until the end of the year to get them a gift. For now I would just give a thank you card.

As for the parents who stood around, put them to work! Like RainStorm said, they probably just don't know what to do.

7. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 21, 2011

With it being your first party, a small gift certificate (just enough for a nice cup of coffee) might not be too bad. You could write a note about how much they helped you relax and you want to return the favor with a cup of coffee. Other than that, just your thanks will go a long way.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

I think a card is fine. We have room moms that organize the parties and do a lot of other things for us and we get small gifts for them at Christmas and end of the year, but it is $5 or less types of things.

9. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 21, 2011

I probably would've had a nervous breakdown had they not been there LOL! I thought I had it all planned out but like always things did not go as planned and they just fell right into place helping me get it sorted out.

For the Valentine's Party I am definitely having set things for them to do. Now I know what to do!

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 21, 2011

Why were there so many parents there?

11. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Companion

Dec 21, 2011

I think a simple thank you note would be very appreciated.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Dec 21, 2011

All parents are invited to our Christmas and end of the year parties, I had 12 I think.

13. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Dec 21, 2011

A thank you note would be enough.

I LOVE class parties in grade 1. They are geuninely so excited, that it really doesn't take much to make them happy! I find I can keep it all low-key and they are still thrilled. We had our Christmas party today and I really enjoyed it. I've found other years to be a lot of work, but this class makes it a breeze.

14. Joy

Joy Cohort

Dec 22, 2011

I've subbed on numerous days for parties. It can be very stressful! Usually the parents are to have everything ready and take over but I've noticed alot of parents need major help. They often don't know how to get the room quiet or explain directions to the kids. If you have never been in a teaching position, that would be scary since the kids are usually totally crazy! I usually try to help with crowd control, and keeping them on time. They often have alot of parents volunteer and some of them need to be given specific jobs. They want to help and do the right thing. They just don't know what to do.

I subbed on the day of the Valentine party last year. The mother who was in charge of the whole thing volunteered in two rooms for her two daughters for parties happening at the same time. She told the other moms to pass out treats and she would be back for games. These moms just didn't do it and stood there forever. Finally, I started telling them who should pass out napkins and cupcakes. They wanted to help but just didn't know how to go about doing the stuff in a classroom. Just because they're parents and have kids doesn't mean that they are used to 28 kids at the same time!

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 22, 2011

I agree that a nice mailed card would be a great thank you to these moms. Maybe see if either are then willing to run your next party.

If these moms come in more than just for parties or help out with all your future events, then getting them a gift card or gift would be a nice gesture.

16. soleil00

soleil00 Comrade

Dec 22, 2011

All immediate family is invited to our parties by school policy. We are only allowed to exclude grandparents if we wanted to.

My newbie colleague had 10 parents show up... so once again she gets the record for the most parents there!

I do believe yall are right and a card will suffice. I'll definitely think about maybe an end of the year gift if they do like mopar said because that would be above and beyond the call of duty.

:thanks:

Like I said though, now I know! Our Valentine's Party won't be near as stressful now that I've learned a little about parties....

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 22, 2011

Congrats on surviving your first party! :)

18. msufan

msufan Comrade

Dec 22, 2011

:D:D:D Every parent shows up at my school's holiday parties. If I only had 4, I'd be worried that something horrible was wrong. I'm sure I had 20 parents in the room for the holiday party (6-8 running the party, the rest just chilling) out of my 24 students this year.

19. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 22, 2011

I had FIFTEEN one year when I taught kindergarten (21 kids in my class). Grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles...It was seriously ridiculous, but we weren't allowed to tell anyone they couldn't come.

20. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Dec 22, 2011

All parents are invited to all parties and the students are allowed to be signed out afterward. Because I have so much to be sent home after the Christmas party-tree decorations that the students have made, room & hall decorations, etc. I have a list of everything I want the parents to take down. I have zip lock bags and groceery sacks labeled with names & I explain that they can help by taking everything on the list down. I note where the items are-on the tree, in the window, in the hall, etc. I even have them take the tree apart & put it in the box-this is usually done by a dad who is at the party. This gives everyone something to do. While some are doing this, others are getting refreshments ready, playing a game with the class, etc. This is a great help to me as well.

21. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 31, 2011

Class parents do talk, so I would be careful about excluding one or two of them. You can get them something very simple, like a holiday themed item or candle. For your next party, don't be afraid to ask the parents to do what you see needs to be done - usually one of the class parents is the head parent who does the organizing, and you might be able to make some suggestions to her to pass on. Sometimes don't participate as much as you might like because they are not really sure what needs to be done, or they are not really sure what you might like them to do.