I survived!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by dkjackson, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Apr 10, 2010

This past week was my first week of a long-term assignment, and I'm happy to report that I survived! I enjoyed every minute of it, even the constant nagging to put away the cell phones and iPods (I think we're going to have to have a chat about that next week), and all the "Miss, I left that assignment at home, can I bring it to you tomorrow?" I'll be there through the end of school, so about 8 more weeks. They've got the TAKS test and the AP test coming up in a few weeks, and I'm terrified I'm going to find a way to screw those up for them (wrong information, we don't get far enough in the book beforehand, etc.), so I'm just praying we all make it through. But for the time being, it's amazing!

Just wanted to share with everyone, you all are always so supportive :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2010

Sounds promising, dkjackson, and congratulations!

It's pretty normal to feel the sort of terror you report at about this point - and probably a good sign, though of course it won't feel that way at the moment, so find someone who can give you a really good hug and perhaps share a suitably cheering beverage.

If the terror's getting in your way, what about chatting up your colleagues to find out where-ish you're supposed to be? If you don't want to risk this at your own school, you could perhaps talk to colleagues teaching the same level and subject at another school. Alternatively, there might be pacing guidelines for your district, county, or state on the Internet.

And here's a hug from me, too.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

Before your chat about cell phones and technology, ask around. The odds are pretty good that there's a school policy on the issue. If not, then the other AP teachers can probably fill you in on their consequences.

5. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Apr 11, 2010

Thanks for the encouraging words! :)

I already know where we're supposed to be and the school and teacher's policy about cell phones and the like. We had plenty of meetings before I took over, I've subbed for her all year, she gave me very detailed lesson plans (on my request) to help keep me on track, not to mention she was my teacher for U.S. History years ago, so I know from personal experience how she feels about cell phones. And I know her students do, too, which is why we're going to have a talk about how just because their regular teacher is gone doesn't mean they can just start whipping out the cell phones and think that I'm not going to do anything about it. The regular teacher's consequences are still in place, even though she's out.

As for getting where we need to by test time, like I said, I have it all laid out for me in my lesson plans. The reason I'm worried is because I know that the pacing of the class is always slightly off (it was when I took the class, too). It's an AP class, so they move just a little slower than the others so they can go a little more in-depth. So while other classes are on, say, chapter 30 this week, we're only starting chapter 28. And ideally, we should be to 32 or even 33 in three and a half weeks, in time for the AP test. So it's just a matter of stressing to the students every way I know how that it's imperative that they keep up with their reading, even get ahead if they can, take notes, do the assignments, because it's all for their benefit. We'll see what happens. If all else fails, she left me a packet for the last two chapters that I can give them to at least do a drive-by of the information before the test.

We'll see how week two goes. Hopefully just as well as week one, although I'm expecting it to be a little more crazy, since grades are due on Friday.

6. azure

azure Companion

Apr 11, 2010

I'm guessing just "having a chat" about the cell phones & I-pods will have no affect until you actually take one away or carry out the consequence the teacher has in place. That's been my experience. But at least they won't be able to say they weren't warned.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 11, 2010

That's great dkjackson! Hopefully you're blessed to get many more long-term (LT) assignments in the future.

8. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Apr 11, 2010

azure, it was my experience this past week that the warnings to individual students weren't doing much good, which is why I'm thinking I'll give each class a warning as a whole that there will be consequences if rules can't be followed. And then I'll need to take up a few to get the point across that I'm serious. It's going to take seeing me follow through before they know I'm serious. But you're exactly right, I'm thinking of having the chat so none of them can say they weren't warned.

And thanks Ms. I! I'm hoping for more LT assignments, too, or (fingers crossed big-time for this!) that a full-time teaching job will come of this!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 11, 2010

After the warning, the VERY NEXT kid who breaks the rule gets the consequence. No excuses, no "I was just....," from this point on you mean business!

10. dkjackson

dkjackson Companion

Apr 11, 2010

That's exactly the plan, Alice :)

11. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 11, 2010

Sounds like it's going great so. Congrats and keep us posted how the rest of the year plays out. :)