I Survived Parent-Teacher Conferences!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by DressageLady, Oct 24, 2014.

1. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

And today is my Comp Day! And pay day! And it is rainy and kind of cold, so I have a rock solid excuse for laying around and reading all day while my husband and son are at school (my husband works part-time at the middle school).

The conferences went well. I had one Mom tell me I was an "amazing teacher" and another Dad told me I had the best organized classroom he had ever been in. I had another Mom tell me that she was so relieved to feel that I "got" her daughter. Even the Dad who asked me in September if I was "an idiot or just incompetent" only rolled his eyes and stared at the ceiling a couple of times. At least he showed up! And didn't call me names!

At one point yesterday evening a child came running into my room, disrupting my conference in progress. Not my kiddo, or related to one of my kiddos. It was the twin brother of a student in the room next to mine. My P came in later and told me how impressed she was with how I handled it - I tickled him until he left (I guess my P had been out in the hallway talking to the Mom when it happened). Yay for me!

I feel pretty darn good when I reflect back on my prep for conferences and the conferences themselves. Not bad for a first year teacher. It was actually really helpful for me to sit down and really examine student growth over the last nine weeks. They really are learning something! I mean, I have been inputting data for weeks now. And using it to inform my instruction. But I really took a step back and saw the overall growth for the class as a whole. And I am pleased with what I saw.

There is still a ton to address, but there has been improvement. And that improvement has occurred during my first fumbling weeks as a teacher. Imagine what we can do now that I don't waste thirty minutes every day screwing up the lunch count!
    Sheilah

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 24, 2014

[​IMG]

4. comaba

comaba Cohort

Oct 24, 2014

And it will only get better. Congrats!

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

It feels good to think I am on the right track.
    Sheilah

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Oct 24, 2014

Congrats!

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Oct 24, 2014

I know that feeling.
    It's a good one. Think of this time when bad times come along throughout the year. :)

Keep up the great work!

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 25, 2014

Congrats!