I Survived! (Barely)

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by username, Apr 28, 2007.

1. username

username Rookie

Apr 28, 2007

I'm just curious what's the longest you've subbed and would you do it again? I just got finished subbing for 3 weeks straight and it was horrible (jr. high) I vow to never do it again unless its phys. ed because i love sports. The principle and the asst. principle talked to the class and their homeroom teachers did also but it still didn't help neither did kicking them of class. And isn't it annoying when kids whine and complain about wanting their teacher to come back like its supposed to hurt our feelings, they don't know we want them to come back too.

3. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2007

Maybe you should try younger or older kids? Jr. High is hard!

4. username

username Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

i've been there for about 5 months and i've had pretty much every class so they know me and my rules but i know for a fact i wouldn't like elementary school and its too late in the year for me to get used to a whole new batch of kids at another school. oh well you live and you learn.

5. Shane Steinmetz

Shane Steinmetz Rookie

Apr 29, 2007

It is annoying when students ask when the full-time teacher will return.

Well, I should say that with past tense -- it was annoying. In the rare event that I actually have a class that dislikes me, I just politely answer when their regular teacher will be back.

See, you shouldn't dread coming back to the classroom and be afraid of the students because they give you a hard time. No, no, no. In a situation where they are acting out, they should be afraid of you.

Have you ever tried matching wits with some of your students? If you do it properly, you can get across a good point while maintaining an intelligent and confident image. (On the other hand, the opposite will happen if you don't.) You also have to be careful to not hurt the student's feelings or go overboard.