I started doing proofs today in geometry

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Doing the happy dance... I LOVE doing proofs :)

A few years ago we moved them to the end of the year, with great results. We found that the kids had the added maturity to handle a topic that some consider difficult. And, even more important, by this time of the year, the kids KNOW the definitions, theorems and postulates. Having them at the kids' disposal is HUGE in terms of helping them figure out the proofs.

Loving this trimester in Geometry :D

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

I've always wondered why most curriculums have students doing proofs before they really understand any geometry. Then when the students really start learning geometry, there are no more proofs because the unit is over. It was that way when I took geometry in HS a long, long time ago.

Thanks for sharing how you changed it up.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 23, 2012

My math knowledge ends at the end of 5th grade so I don't have a clue what you are talking about, but, it still sounds like you are having fun!

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Fun! I love geometry...while I don't do proofs with my third graders or even the middle school kids I tutor, I stilll love the 'solving a puzzle'-like nature of much of geometry.

6. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

Apr 23, 2012

I've never heard of waiting to do proofs at the end of the course, but I think I really like the idea. I'm gonna file this idea away since I might be teaching geometry next year.

7. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2012

That's interesting that you do proofs at the end of the year. It's not something that I've heard of before, but it seems like a great idea.

And I agree with you--proofs are a lot of fun!!

You just reminded me of when I was in 9th grade, my mom made me take a summer school geometry class. The teacher's way of "teaching" proofs was writing out a proof and telling us to memorize it because the same exact problem would be on the test. :help:

8. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 25, 2012

I love doing proofs. It is like solving a puzzle. Getting the answer is so rewarding.

9. sml522

sml522 Rookie

Apr 25, 2012

I love geometry and proofs! Have fun! :)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 26, 2012

Alice, I shared your notes that you sent me with my tutoring student on Tues. Her comment was, "Wow, those kids are lucky to have her for a teacher." Pretty awesome, huh? So, when you retire to Florida, look me up and let's go into business together.

11. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Apr 26, 2012

I remember doing proofs when I was in school, i loved them too :)

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Apr 28, 2012

What is a proof exactly? :dizzy:

13. anky2930

anky2930 Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

Ya,In my opinion one of the most interesting topic in mathematics is geometry and I love practicing it too.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Proofs are a system of logically proving an assertion. Up until about 20 years ago, they were recognized as the way of teaching logic. Then, as things got watered down, they've disappeared in some places. I'm happy to say they're alive and well in my school.

You'll be given a set of statements. (Right now, my kids are given statements about segments and angles in triangles.) You have to logically, step by step, use the theorems, postulates and definitions to prove a different statement. (Again, right now, we're proving triangles congruent.) Each and every statement needs a reason.

They're a marvelous exercise in logical thought. The hope is that the kids will be able to extrapolate the ideas-- that every assertion needs an agreed-upon reason-- into their lives outside a math class. Our first day of proofs, I spoke about the upcoming election, and told them to listen carefully to what was said (on both sides; this isn't about politics.). I want them to listen carefully to the lack of logic they're sure to hear, to the many statements that have no logical support.

So far my kids are loving them.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2012

Thanks 'Daisy. Sounds like a plan :thumb: