I SO wanted to be good at it!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by educatingme, Apr 19, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Apr 19, 2007

I was so excited when the teacher (I am an assistant) had case conferences today and I would be "in charge". I would get to "Play school"...see what it's like to be a teacher!

Unfortunately, I suck!

Maybe I'm not cut out for this career that I want SO badly!!! I felt like I had absolutely no control. The kids were loud, trying to do their own thing rather than what was scheduled. Taking advantage...

It was absolutely depressing...and exhausting...

Maybe I'm not cut out for it? *waaaaahhhhhhhh*

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

It happens. You don't suck. Kids test you whenever there's a difference in routine. I have a co-teacher, and my kids generally behave pretty well. Even though they listen to me, they're totally different animals when she's out. They think the rules are different.

It'll be better next time now that you know what YOU need to do differently (Be on top of the behavior, don't let them take advantage of you, etc)

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

I got that every now and then when I subbed. I HATED subbing. It was so hard for me to get the classes under control. Not all of them, but I particularly remember 2 that gave me a lot of trouble. One class said that I didn't scare them so they didn't have to listen and be quiet. I was shocked and really annoyed. That really made me want to quit. But guess what, I've taught kinder (one of those classes that was out of control was kinder and I swore I never wanted to teach kinder) for a couple of years now quite successfully. I'm moving up to fifth next year (the other class was the fifth grade class). I think it's much different if it's your own class. Of course the kids want to test you. They want to misbehave as much as they want because they can't when the real teacher is there. The reason they do this is because many just do not respect adults anymore, so if they can get away with it, they will.

Anyways, when you get your own class it will be different. You will set the rules, rewards, consequences, and the procedures. You will be able to control them and manage their behavior much better. Subbing was not for me at all.

5. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 22, 2007

Don't give up! In my first year of teaching, my assistant and I discovered that although the children behaved great for me, they would not listen to my assistant when I was out sick. We finally decided that they did not see her as an authority figure, so they felt like they did not have to listen to her. We decided that she needed to be "in charge" more in the classroom, even when I was there. She took over disciplining children who were misbehaving, instead of running to tell me to discipline them. I just had to back her up if needed. I also had her be in charge of some parts of the day (like music, circle, and planning) several times a week. She also realized she had established herself as someone they "fooled" around with, instead of being an authority figure. Now, I am not saying you cannot ever be playful and have fun with the kids, because I do that every day, but you also have to establish your authority and let them know you are still (and always) in charge. Hope this helps!

6. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Apr 23, 2007

Thank-you for the support and encouragement! I'll have another day tomorrow with the teacher out (although, there will be a sub) so we'll see if I handle it any better. One thing I was thinking was that since I took this position so late in the year, the kids may see me as a guest...maybe next year will be better in that regard.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2007

While I understand your use of the words above could it be that the kids were picking up on the idea that you really weren't serious about being in charge? Subbing is not about playing school or seing what it's like to be a teacher- It's about BEING one. Were you left adequate plans? Were the kids told you were in charge? Were you familiar with ongoing procedures and rules in the room so you could follow them? Kids are always going to push the sub (or babysitter or dad...) when the teacher (or mom) is gone and try to get away with what they know they can't do regularly. Little kids also have trouble with change- their teacher being out could be stressful for some of them so they acted out. It doen't mean you're not cut out for this. Work on developing a 'bag of tricks' (I mean this both literally and figuratively). When subbing it's good to bring 'extra' stuff- a good read aloud, puppets, an art idea, a math game...and the figurative bag of tricks of good management skills, intuition and flexibility. Some of this is innate in teachers, some can be developed over time. Don't get discouraged- it'[s good to realize that THIS ISN'T EASY!!

8. 4monthcountdown

4monthcountdown Comrade

Apr 24, 2007

Don't worry, educating me, I'm sure everyone else reading your post realizes that you were taking your job seriously. I think what others said is probably true, that the students were trying to feel you out and also that it takes time to solidy behavior management skills. Just be patient with yourself and it will come with time! :)

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2007

I said I UNDERSTOOD her use of the term but that kids will push anyone new who isn't the one who is usually in charge. Teaching isn't easy and it is important to have a repetoire of skills/strategies/activities on hand for those times when you are suddenly 'put in charge'.

10. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Apr 24, 2007

I'm not a sub. I'm an assistant.

I agree I need to develop a "bag of tricks" and a better authoritative role for when the teacher isn't in the room. I have a hard time with it. I see other teachers having to yell to get results...and I don't want to do that. I want the kids to respect me enough to do what I say without my having to threaten or yell...get mean...ya know? But, it's rumored that I'm "too nice". *sigh*:eek:

11. MissTexas

MissTexas Rookie

Apr 24, 2007

You will realize tomorrow, that they will probably act the same way with the sub! Don't sweat it! I remember when I did my internship, the students would act totally different around me than they did with the classroom teacher. Don't let it get you down!