I Should Be Subbing Soon!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Elizabeth, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Feb 25, 2005

I had a 2 PM interview today at the Woodland School District office and by the time I left, it was a little after 4 PM. Boy, was I swating bullets too!!! :p :) All those questions and paperwork, you know?

Anyhow, she's just got to check my references, get my medical paperwork (which won't be until the March 2nd), have my fingerprints on file, and get me on the payroll and THEN I can start subbing. I should be put on the list by mid-week next week and start getting calls a week after that. :)

By the way, it's restricted pay since I elected to sub only grades 5 to 8 so it's $85 a day and I can get calls anytime between 5:30 AM and 10:30 PM and in most cases I'll know well in advance of the sub job.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Feb 25, 2005

Congratulations! Let us know how it goes. :D

4. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Feb 26, 2005

The best part about this is that after 20 days of subbing they'll give me a $10.00 pay increase. Not to mention, if the job's long-term and the teacher is out 10 or more days and I have to sub until she or he returns then on the 11th day they'll have to start paying me $173.62 a day!!!

If I knew that I only needed Type 39 certification, a Bachelor's degree, and some prior teaching or tutoring experience THEN I certainly would've done this sooner.

5. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 27, 2005

Where are you subbing? In Florida our subs do not get paid that well....

6. dehabel

dehabel Rookie

Feb 27, 2005

by the way congratulations and good luck!

C

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Mar 3, 2005

Northern Illinois... Lake County...Gurnee...Woodland School District 50

To be honest, Lake County is the wealthiest county in the entire country and ontop of that Gurnee is one of the more affluent communites just west of North Chicago so I expected this kind of sub pay.

And thanks! I need lots of luck going into subbing! :cool:

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I had my fingerprints done Tuesday evening and my complete physical done yesterday afternoon. I'm waiting for the results of the TB test now and have to go back tomorrow afternoon to have that read.

All that's left, my references. :)

8. Calstudent

Calstudent Rookie

Mar 5, 2005

I interviewed Friday to begin subbing too. I'm just waiting for the fingerprints to clear. I've never subbed before. Does anyone have some great advice? Do you have ideas on how to maintain control?

9. litlmama

litlmama Comrade

Mar 7, 2005

At the high school level.

1) Let them know you know what you are doing. (even if you don't and are scared to death) Be confident in your demeanor. They sense fear.

2) Don't give an inch until they complete their assignment. Watch out for the first kid who asks to use the bathroom. They may or may not return.

3) Treat them like young adults. Don't go in with the attitude that they are nothing but kids. If they think you have no respect for them they will give the attitude right back.

4) Choose your battles.

5) Do what the teacher leaves for you. There is nothing worse than coming back to school and finding out that the work you left wasn't done.

6) Have fun. Remember that if they are giant Booger Heads (highly technical HS teacher jargon ;)) at least you don't have to see them again.

10. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Mar 10, 2005

I prefer 4th through 6th grades, but I took a long term H.S. subbing position at the end of February and I only lasted 5 days because I was so unhappy with the age group. What I did learn from the experience is that most teenagers are wonderful and considerate. It is only a tiny fraction that cause any stress. I did let the students know before I left that I enjoyed knowing them and I will miss them. I did not want them to think that their maturity was unnoticed. Let the good kids know(in private) that they are awesome!

11. bernburn

bernburn Rookie

Mar 13, 2005

I subbed for 8 years. I found that learning students names and school rules are key. also I tried to sub often in the same school so that the kids would get use to me. I liked subbing--go figure. I did everything from Home Ec teacher to gym teacher and everything inbetween. I learned how to be a good and fair disciplinarian from those experiences. good Luck