I SERIOUSLY DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mary2122, Mar 20, 2009.

1. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Mar 20, 2009

SO i am a recent graduate and i am not finding any teaching job however i did get on the subbing list. So i was doing that for a while however i could not help but think that a full time job would be better for me. I started applying to all types of jobs, even non related to education. I applied to a job that seemed like it was just going to be an office assistant position. After working there for a week, they start bringing up the idea that they are going to send me to school in order to get my insurance broker license. They then asked me to take over the accounting which i agreed to fine but going through the process of getting my broker license scares me. They said that this is part of my position and i need to do it in order to keep the job. I mean i went to school for 4 years for education and i just wanted a full time job in order to have a position until the schools get better and they hire again. But NOW i am thrown this huge decision of getting the broker license which i would hate to be a broker but i guess i could suck it up...orrr quit before i get too into the position and before they enroll me....and go back to subbing. subbing will not make me nearly as much money or benefits however its something im happy with. help!

3. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 20, 2009

Double-check with your employer about exactly what will be required of you if you accept the training, but also if you back out. Case in point: in the not-too-distant past I was interviewing to be a financial advisor with Edward Jones. Had I taken the position, EJ would have paid for my education and fees to become a licensed securities broker. Had I not passed the exam, EJ would terminate my employment right then and there, but if I made it through to the end, I would have been more or less contractually obligated to work for them, as they would have by then invested about $75k in my education. Had I gained my license through EJ, and then bolted to a competitor like Merrill Lynch, etc., EJ made it clear that they would sue to recover the cost of educating me.

You might want to have a long conversation with your employer about your future career goals. If you do take their opportunity, make certain that you have a way to back out without being penalized. If your employer spends a large sum of time and money training you, only to see you leave shortly thereafter and without warning, you will be burning your bridges with that company.

If you're happy with subbing, and if you're able to get by financially while doing it, why not stick with it?

MathManTim

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

(Oh, my: not only can he integrate and differentiate all night long, he knows the difference between conditional and subjunctive AND can use each correctly, three times in a row... *sigh*)

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 20, 2009

I think we have a little forum-crush budding... hahahaha

6. palla

palla Companion

Mar 20, 2009

Tim is right. You want to make sure you understand exactly what the are asking and what your obilgations would be. Don't sign anything without reading it carefully. Usually you have to sign something if your employer is going to pay for your education.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 20, 2009

Nah, McKenna - he's probably too young for me.

mary2122, I'll echo palla and Tim: time to have a heart-to-heart with your employer, and do be careful what you sign. You might also do well to review what you've already signed, just in case.

8. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

Talk to the employer. How long and how much is this education?

Basically, I feel you took a job to get you by a year or two. I feel that you are doing it for the money, and not the job. If you don't want to do the training then don't. Substitute and find another office job that is not going to pressure you to do something that you don't want to do.

I generally feel that if you are uncertain about something, it is not something you should be doing.

9. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

I am going to throw my hat in the ring and say do the training (that is, if doing the training will not contractually obligate you to a length of service with your employer, as MathManTim suggested) If completing the licensing does not legally bind you to any length of service with your employer and/or require you to sign a non-compete agreement - I say go for it!

I think it is a poor choice for anyone in this economy to turn down the opportunity to get free professional development - especially if your employer is going to pay you to complete it.

Who knows - maybe you will really enjoy insurance and decide to make a career out of it? If not - that only strengthens your skillset you have to offer an employer in the future.

10. timsterino

timsterino Comrade

Mar 20, 2009

No matter how hard it is, do not stray from your dream.

11. mary2122

mary2122 Rookie

Mar 22, 2009

thank you all so very much! here is an update...I talked to the boss and I told him all of my concerns. I usually have trouble expressing myself fully but as soon as i felt myself holding back, i basically yelled at myself in my mind haha. To sum up the convo that we had, he said that eventually becoming a broker is required. For the last 2 days i have been so stressed out and worrying about what i should do. I would of course make better money in this field...and i do have student loans....but a big part of me waslike...should i really come off of the sub list? It took forever to get on it! Also I must say that i hate the business world, it is simply not me at all. I dont have any care in moving up in a business company and landing deals bla bla bla. I just dont. Teaching and working with children has always been my passion.

So i basically turned down a higher paycheck to go back to subbing. I know that many districts hire off their sub list and just getting your foot in the door is perhaps worthit....i know that money will be tight and I will have to figure out what to do for the summer...however i am content with this decision.

I know that by staying and growing in this office position, i will be taking a journey down a road that is leading me away from teaching and that is not what i want to do....

thank you all for all the lovely advice! this was seriously a very hard decision to make and of course i am going to have regrets in the next couple of weeks but i believe i did the right thing... :)

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 22, 2009

You said it all right here. Never take a job you hate if you have any other options! There are many jobs in this world that we can be happy with, even if they are not our dream jobs -- however, if you hate a job, you will never be good at it. If you are never really good at it, and you know it, you will never get any happier.

I'm glad you made the choice you did.

I hope something comes along very soon that will make you happy.

Life is too short to be unhappy -- when you have any other choices.

13. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 22, 2009

I'm sure it was a hard decision. But, I think you made a good choice. You are being true to yourself. Good luck with subbing.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2009

Sounds like you made the correct decision for you. I hope that you get lots of sub calls. You can try to find an evening and weekend job where they'll be able to give you more hours over the summer to make some more money. I really enjoy my job in a grocery store and there are always more hours over the summer because full-timers usually take the majority of their vacations over the summer.