I screwed up my lesson

Discussion in 'General Education' started by tb71, Aug 27, 2009.

1. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

Yesterday was the first day that I actually got to teach a lesson. Just as class started, the math coach entered and guided me and the class through the beginning of the lesson, I taught it 2 more times and all was well. This morning...I guess I was expecting too much and went to deep into proportions and my kids were completely lost. The 2nd period came and things got a little better, by the 3rd, I was reviewing everything we went over the day before and was able to continue the lesson. But my poor morning kids--I know I'm going to make mistakes but ugh!!!

3. dmbfan36

dmbfan36 Rookie

Aug 27, 2009

Sometimes last year I found that my morning class would get the short end of a stick in a lesson because I would see my mistakes and fix it for the later periods. But it all evens out in the end.

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

It happens. Don't let it get ya down. You may have to spend an extra day reteaching the material to the morning class, but I'm sure you didn't do any permanant damage! ;)

5. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 27, 2009

It happens. Sometimes my first period lesson will be just OK, and by the 2nd, 3rd time teaching it I feel great about the lesson. While other times it is the opposite. I always assess the students in the 'do now' on the previous lesson. I don't know about you, but I check homework daily. Scanning over their assignments lets me see what they were able to get out of the lesson.

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 27, 2009

Seems like to me, you didn't mess up at all. "Messing up" would have been continuing to do the same thing all day long and never noticing your students reaction to the lesson you presented. Then continuing to do the same thing everyday.

Seems to me you did everything right.

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 28, 2009

It's alright-- I found that my first time teaching something sucked, by the end of the day (and teaching it 4 times) I was a lot better. You learn what works and what doesn't and learn what most students will struggle with.

I do recommend that you take time to reflect and write down notes on what DID work and keep them on a sticky note and add them to your curriculum guide or where ever you keep your lesson plans.

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2009

tb~we've all done that! You didn't screw anything up!

9. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Aug 28, 2009

No worries. The more you teach something the better you get at it. You were reflective and able to make changes as you went along. This is truly the sign of a good teacher.

10. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Aug 28, 2009

You guys are great--thanks for all the encouragement.
    Today I did much better and I brought home everything for next week so I can really go through it. My kids have some terms I have never heard of but I'm learning...like "butterfly" for cross-multiplying, "popcorn" for converting mixed fractions. One of my team members went over "popcorn" with me, so I'll at least know what the are talking about.
    Thanks again for all the encouragement!