I said yes!!

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by goopp, Aug 2, 2006.

1. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

I called the principal that offered me the fifth grade position this morning and told her YES!! She seemed very excited, and I know I am.

She said that she can't officially hire me, that had to come from HR, but she was going to start the paperwork and she hopes they will contact me tomorrow. I can't start working on my room until I'm "officially hired", and the teachers go back Monday (kids start 8/14). I'd really like to get in there on Friday and over the weekend.

The teacher that left moved to middle school, and she left a lot of stuff in the room, all very neat and organized. I haven't really gotten to see what's there, but I did see labeled storage containers and was told that it all belonged to the new teacher...oh yeah, that's me!

I'm past excited and starting to really stress. I haven't been in a classroom for 21 years, and I never taught 5th grade...I don't even know where to start. I know the 1st couple of days is procedures, procedures, procedures and I'm good with that, but what happens next?

For everyone still looking...don't give up! Even last minute, there are jobs out there that need to be filled, and it could happen to you!!!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2006

YAYYYYYYYY

Congrats!!!

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 2, 2006

Congratulations!!!!

5. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Congrats that is very exciting...

SO, now that you are the pro...any special advice you would give to someone who will be interviewing for a 5th grade position. I have one on Monday.

6. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

Some of the questions I got were about my classroom management plan (I talked about my procedures and how I planned to keep the kids to busy to have many discipline problems), how I felt about parental involvement (they have very involved parents), what made me happy, what got me upset, what did I know about the school, did I like for the kids to work as groups or individually, did I work better by myself or with a group (the classes are self-contained, which I'm very excited about). She also asked me what I considered professional dress...thanks to everyone on here, I knew what kind of answer to give for that question.

The best questions were....If we called your references, what would they say about you? I just looked at her and said that they'd all say wonderful things about me, that I wasn't crazy enough to use someone that would say anything negative as a reference. She thought that was hilarious.

The last question she asked was Why should we hire you? I said, I'm excited and enthusiastic and because you like me! She got a real kick out of that answer, too.

I took folders with all my credential info, my definition of a balanced literacy program, my procedures, my class rules, a classroom pledge, a sample schedule, and a sample newsletter. In the newsletter, I wrote like I actually had the position and introduced myself to the parents, wrote a little about my homework policies, and luckily, wrote that I loved having parents in the classroom and would love to have volunteers to read to the class, as well as help out. When she asked about parents in her questions, I referred her to the newsletter. She was impressed that I had already addressed that issue. I also included a glyph I plan to use the 1st day of school.

She really liked that I handed her and the asst. principal a folder as soon as we sat down. She didn't really look through it, unless I referred to something in it, but she had it to look at after I left.

My interview was yesterday afternoon and she was supposed to interview 2 more people today. She called me before 10 to offer me the job, so I don't think she had time to interview anyone else.

7. jennabar

jennabar Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

goopp

Thanks for the wonderful information. I really like the idea of the folder. I usually give them all my information but never have included the information like you did. I think I will try that. Thanks again for the wonderful tips.

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 2, 2006

goopp good for you! If I had to teach elementary school, 5th would be my choice.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2006

Congratulations, goopp. 5th grade will be a great grade for you to start back in. It sounds like you were really a hit at the interview and that they sure liked your candor and sense of humor!

10. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Way to go!!!

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

Yeah!!! I knew you could get it!

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

Thanks everyone! Without the support of each of you, I don't know if I could have made it through the last couple of months. I'm so glad I found A-Z...it's the best thing that happened to me since I decided to go back to teaching!

13. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Aug 2, 2006

Congrats!!!!! 5th graders are awesome.

14. kathy2215

kathy2215 Companion

Aug 7, 2006

I am so exciited for you

15. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 7, 2006

Happy for you. You will make an excellent fifth grade teacher. Wishing a great year.

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 7, 2006

When you get past the procedures do what I did when I was left on my own during student teaching (my mentor teacher wanted me to get the full beneift of a first year experience, so he left me with a curriculm map and nothing else) I planned one unit at a time. Plan one week at a time, one unit at a time. Eventually you will get faster and further ahead.

Good Luck and I am very jealous!

17. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 8, 2006

Yesterday was my 1st day. I spent 7 hours arranging furniture and trying to go through the last teacher's stuff. I will be finishing my room today, because we have a county in-service all day today and meet and greet is Thursday. I'm exhausted, but it's a great exhaustion.

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes.

18. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 8, 2006

I am glad you had a fun "first" day. Getting stuff just so is really important to me because it seems when school starts I don't have time to get things like that!

19. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 8, 2006

I am so happy for you! I'm glad to hear you were able to get into your room and set up before school starts!
    Did you know during the interview that you had the job? You know, sometimes you can tell that they are going to hire you. That's the best feeling!

20. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2006

How nice to have all that work behind you :)

21. goopp

goopp Devotee

Aug 8, 2006

I came away pretty sure that she would offer me the position. You're right, it was a great feeling.