I said the word "jerk" today in class!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by massteacher, May 8, 2012.

1. massteacher

massteacher Companion

May 8, 2012

Today I was teaching a second step (social skills program) in first grade about self-talking to help yourself calm down when you are angry. We were giving examples of what positive healthy self talk is, and what is not. I gave them a hypothetical example of someone kicking the soccer ball right when I was about to kick it. I told them how healthy ways of self-talking, and then for the negative self talk I said "Geez I feel like that person was a jerk. I feel so angry right now" Right when I said the word jerk I wish I had chosen a different word choice, as I got a lot of shocked faces and "YOU SAID A BAD WORD!!!!!" I explained to them that calling someone a jerk is not okay, and I would never call someone that. Hopefully the kids forgot about it by the end of the day! :eek:

3. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 8, 2012

Jerk is a bad word? :huh:

Strange. It seems like every derogatory word is "bad" to kids of a certain age.

They'll forget it!

4. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

I also think they'll forget. Don't worry about it!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 8, 2012

How funny!!

You were illustrating what NOT to do, and it's only a bad word by 6 year old standards. Parents try hard to teach their kids not to call others names.

Don't sweat this one.

6. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 8, 2012

Jerk is a word that totally depends on how you use it.

First of all, it should NEVER be followed by certain prepositions. If you need to know what prepositions those are, ask a PE teacher or a janitor.

I generally do not have a problem using it in the third person with regard to people for whom there is near universal disdain -

"John Wilkes Booth was a jerk."
    "King George III was a jerk."
    "Hitler was a jerk."*

*Note: If your students suddenly break into song with the last one, you need to end the lesson immediately.

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

This is no biggie.

I have told a group of boys to stop acting like jerks. Because they needed to be told.

8. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 8, 2012

I was teaching in elementary when the jerk dance style was popular a few years ago. Yikes.

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 8, 2012

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

May 8, 2012

My first year of teaching I said, "SH#T." I had just finished a running record and was picking up the student's papers to put in her folder and got a nasty paper cut and that was my reaction.

The irony is that I am not one to normally use that word.

Anyhow, I tried to cover myself my repeatedly saying, "Shhhh! It is loud in here. SHhhh! It is very very loud.

They all looked at me like I was nuts because they were silent reading while I was doing the running records.

Don't sweat it, but if a parent complains accept ownership, apologize and explain it was a mistake. You're human.

11. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

May 8, 2012

:lol: :toofunny:

Nice save!

12. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 9, 2012

I said sh*t in class one year. We were working with crickets and one got loose. It just slipped out! One of my boys said "it's okay, Mrs. Knitter, I've said worse at home!"

13. wanting2teach

wanting2teach Rookie

May 11, 2012

I used to teach high school and I told my kids to "shut it" when they were talking too much! So bad.

14. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 11, 2012

Add me to the "Said Sh#t During Class" Club. In my case, it was because I looked down and there was a hornet crawling up my sleeve.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 11, 2012

I am always afraid I will say "sh*t" instead of "sheet" ("Get out your green sheet."). I'm surprised I haven't yet!

I said "hate" the other day, and my class was going nuts. We were talking about fact and opinion, and a poem mentioned how wonderful May was. I said something like, "Someone might say, 'I hate May, because my dog died in May.'" They could not get over the fact that I said hate...I usually don't use that word, but I felt like I needed an extreme example because they weren't getting it.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 11, 2012

I accidentally wrote "boob" on the board when I meant to write "book."

I also once said "shhhhh" followed by "sit down." I didn't come out right.

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 11, 2012

Yup, I've said it in class too. I was holding a heavy crate full of paper and dropped it on my foot.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 11, 2012

My favorite "almost oops" moment.

At the last school in which I taught, Junior homeroom teachers read the names of the kids in their homeroom at Juior Ring night as the kids received their rings.

That year, I had every Polish name in the Warsaw phone book... all z's and y's.

And I was fine with every one of them. The one that terrified me the most was a girl whose last name was Harley.

A month before, our school had lost a sophomore to leukemia. Her sister was receiving a ring that night. Thw two girls shared the same common first name, but the name of the deceased was Harmon.

I was terrified, and every kid in my homeroom knew it. They cheered like crazy when I got it right, and no one in the audience knew why.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 12, 2012

No big deal. I usually break out the shut up once a year just to get the point across. This time of year, I'm surprised it has not come out.
    But I have also had a few slips of **** when attempting to say something else. Gotta be careful not to talk to fast. I have also said hell when trying to say hill before.

20. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

:lol: This is hilarious Sarge!

21. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

I use "clam up, you weasel" a lot. I have no idea why. Maybe there's a guilty pleasure in the mixed metaphor?

Oh, and yup, about once a year I drop the s---t bomb, usually early in the year when I am not yet fully in harness, or late in the year when I start to get loopy. Like now. Like, Friday. Maybe twice a year.

22. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 12, 2012

Oh, and as I get older, I also say,"Quiet; I can't hear" more and more.

23. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 12, 2012

First, I wouldn't beat yourself up for being human and making a honest small mistake. I think this language slip happens to nearly all teachers. Second, I wouldn't go to the extreme of thinking that it was nothing and acting like it was nothing (which I can tell that you truly do feel bad about this). It is over, so you can laugh at it now. Students are quick to forgive a one time occurrence. If it happens again though with the same students, your sensitive children might become confused. Then, it might be good to stop and make a simple apology that you didn't mean to say that and move on. While you have over 3/4 of your students who could care less and hear far worse at home, your sensitive kids will appreciate the simple apology and know that you don't intentionally say the word that was a bit rude. For example, I know I often hear from sensitive students negative things about a past teacher if that teacher tells the class to "shut up" and doesn't apologize about it.

24. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

I have to say, I find this to be nothing to worry about at all. Jerk, right? I'm not missing some hiddden meaning or message, am I? Because used in the context presented, especially, this wouldn't even be a blip on my radar as teacher or parent.

25. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 12, 2012

I don't think it's a big deal. I told a junior the other day that he was acting like a jerk because..well, he was. I've also told a few classes to 'shut up'. Normally I say 'shut your mouths' but it was working that day. It did get their attention and they did settle down. Now, had I said shut up to my daughter, she would have thought I said a bad word!

26. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 12, 2012

Haven't been here in forever. What a fun thread to see when I come back.

I teach fourth grade now, and although I can get away with some things more easily than in first, I do have to watch what I say in other areas. For example, the other day while our 153 fourth graders were lining up after recess, several of the boys were bouncing basketballs and soccer balls in line while they were supposed to be quiet. Most of you can probably fill in the rest, but I will tell you anyway.

I got everyone's attention with a very loud "4th graders!" Then I went on to say "if you have balls, you need to hang on to them now." Some laughed, a girl screamed out "Mrs. Lemonhead!", and pretty much all of them snickered on their way back into school.

I guarantee I will get some sort of funny teacher award from my principal at the end of the year as the news traveled fast.

27. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

What bugs me most is the teachers who swear on purpose, just so the students will like them.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 12, 2012

We had a couple of those in high school. Annoying. And so transparent.

29. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 12, 2012

I work with one of those. It's annoying.

30. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 12, 2012

Yeah, I work with a couple of them as well.

31. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 13, 2012

I have to say, I find this to be nothing to worry about at all. Jerk, right? I'm not missing some hiddden meaning or message, am I? Because used in the context presented, especially, this wouldn't even be a blip on my radar as teacher or parent.

As an adult, you are right. Young children see this word differently though. I know because when I taught a primary grade, at the end of the year, I did surveys with the students. One student wrote about the things she liked about school, and under what she didn't like, she said "The teacher said the word jerk." I had just let it go as it was nothing. After that time, I really try not to say words like "jerk", "crap", or "shut up" that in a child's world are often taught as inappropriate. If one slips, I quickly apologize and move on.

32. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 13, 2012

My quote from the recess line the other day--"Balls in your hands now!" :blush: