I Really Want a Dog!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by rookieteacher:), Jan 23, 2011.

1. rookieteacher:)

rookieteacher:) Companion

Jan 23, 2011

So I'm sure this is really different post but I just want to point out how bad I really want a dog. I just graduated from college so I am looking to save a dog from a shelter. I am hoping to substitute for a few weeks to save up.

Do any dog owners out there have any advice I need to consider before making the commitment? Any stories to share?

All I need to do is convince my family to let me adopt a special needs dog (she is severely overweight and depressed so lots of walks and a little loving is needed). :wub:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

At the momet, I would be more than happy to give you ours!!!!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

Some questions you might want to ask yourself:

Have you ever had a dog before?
    Do you live with your family? Are all of them okay with getting a dog?
    How long will the dog be alone each day?
    Do you know how much a dog costs, especially one with special needs?

We have two dogs and I love them like they are my children. Both of them came from the shelter, and I wouldn't do that any other way. Shelter dogs are special and need good homes more than other dogs do. I'm all for getting a shelter dog, as long as you know what you're getting into. :)

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 23, 2011

Both of our dogs are shelter dogs. They are my babies.

Things to ask yourself:
    Do you have the time to commit to training?
    Do you have money to fund vet visits?
    Is your living situation settled ... will you be moving, doing apt living, etc in the next decade?
    What arrangements are available for your dog while you are away at work?
    Do you have an area to allow your dog daily exercise?

6. rookieteacher:)

Jan 23, 2011

Thank you for your questions!

I have never had a dog before though I have had many pets before so I understand the responsibility that goes along with a pet. I have never had to surrender a pet.

I do live with my family though I will be moving out in a few months. We currently have a few pets though the dog I am looking at is fostered with a cat right now and hasn't had problems.

The dog will not be alone that often while I am at home. My mom works different shifts so I know she can let the dog out. Otherwise the dog would be alone during the day. That is something I would have to do more research in because I'm sure many dogs are alone during the day while their owners are at work.

The dog's special needs is that it is extremely overweight. I know I will need to provide lots of exercise and special food. I will also know there will be vet bills.

I am in NO way rushing into a decision. That is not fair to the dog OR me. I want to make the best decision possible through education.

7. rookieteacher:)

Jan 23, 2011

One of the things I need to think about is that there is the possibility of my moving in the next 6 months. This may be one thing that stops me from adopting.

I also plan on saving money before I go out and adopt a dog since I do realize they have bills.

8. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 23, 2011

We got a dog this summer, I had been asking for one since before we were married. DH knew it was in the future and then after 3 years the perfect little dog presented itself to us. We got her from a friend and she hadn't had any training other than potty training.

We took her to level 1 classes and plan on doing level 2 in the spring. I will probably do level 3 or agility with her this summer, she learns quick and loves to work.

That said, we did not expect her level of energy! She could walk for hours! She gets up at 6:30 am every.single.morning. and that means we are up then too. It's like having a toddler.

We are gone about 9 hours a day, but she can hold it. We make sure she gets out two times in the morning and gets a walk in the morning which means we get up a half hour earlier than we use to. We also walk her every afternoon right after work, no excuses.

We worked out the costs and she "costs" us about $40 a month when I average out her annual vet visit, flea meds, heartworm and food/treats or the occasional toy.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 23, 2011

It sounds like you are considering all of the right things before adopting.

It is under 30 degrees here and I just returned from a mile walk with the dogs. Good for me and for them.

10. rookieteacher:)

Jan 23, 2011

She is a miniature dachshund. She is 6 years old so she is trained, fixed, micro chipped, has all necessary vaccinations, and importantly over the puppy stage.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2011

Are you sure that she is trained? Like, does it say that in her description?

12. rookieteacher:)

Jan 23, 2011

Yes it does. That is where I got all the information. I found her on Petfinder and they gave a pretty detailed description.

13. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jan 23, 2011

We got a shelter dog off of petfinder, and what we didn't expect was the severe separation anxiety. She doesn't chew when we're home, but if we leave her she goes crazy and rips stuff apart (pillows, books, shoes.)

We had to crate her during the day but she has so much energy she would then need an hour at the dog park playing and running, plus at least 2 half hour walks a day.

We ended up putting her in DOGGIE DAYCARE which is seriously, like $125 a week. We try to cut down to $75 a week and one of us comes home early one day a week. (I can get home by 3:30 if I don't stay after like I am supposed to.)

I never would have thought that the dog couldn't just stay home and sleep during the day like other dogs. Even blocking her in the kitchen with a baby gate backfired and she jumped the gate and destroyed stuff.

Also, expect that even if she is trained, there will still be some adjustment and she will probably have accidents in your home until she gets used to you.

Our dog is not a puppy, either. She's like, 3.

14. rookieteacher:)

Jan 23, 2011

Thank you MissFroggy. That is something I would not have considered!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 23, 2011

I love shelter dogs!

DH and I both adopted dogs, not puppies. Those tiny little puppies can grow into HUGE dogs. Plus, I didn't really want all of the things that go into training puppies.

We also wanted BIG dogs that were able to stay outside, too. Mine had a fenced yard, and there was almost always someone home all the time. (I lived with my parents at the time.) Healthcare can be expensive. My dog needed special food, two types of arthritis medication, and twice-daily insulin injections for the last two years of his life. I had him for 14 years. He was a German/Australian shepherd mix.

DH's dog has the run of the farm, but the farm is for sale. She'll come to the house and be a house dog . . . we think. Our yard isn't fenced. We'll either have to get it fences or keep her inside. I won't tie her up or let her roam the neighborhood. She's an Alaskan husky.

DH thinks training is "mean", so he and I are going to have quite the adjustment with his dog.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2011

I can talk about dogs all day! I've had dogs as a child, but I got my 1st one as an adult in 2005. They say not to get one from pet stores or newspaper ads because they come from puppy mills, which isn't good to promote, so that's great that you're getting a shelter dog. I chose to get one from a breeder because I wanted the whole experience from day 1 of owning one from a puppy & being its only owner. I did several mos of research, which was fun & exciting in itself. Got all the supplies & got him one Sat during a time I was student teaching as well.

It would be helpful for you to join a discussion board of your dog's breed. I joined a Boston Terrier board right before I got my puppy & it's been very helpful & interesting. I still post there to this day. I took my puppy to a group training class at Petsmart, which was OK. If I could redo it, I'd choose to have private training lessons, but those are pricey. There's a way to train your dog to ring a bell to let you know he has to go to the bathroom, so if I were you, I'd seriously consider that.

This is going to be a strictly indoor dog right? Mine is.

17. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 24, 2011

My Masters degree is in behavior analysis ... so our dogs are "trained" in all kinds of ways. Some of the behaviors are "cute" (right paw, left paw) but many of them are functional (sitting quietly in a specific spot when someone comes to the door, ringing the bell to go out).

Both of the dogs LOVE to learn.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 24, 2011

I also applaud you for considering a rescue dog. I wish more people went that route-there are so many great dogs out there waiting for their forever homes.

I love my little turkey to death but-whew! I never expected so much work. It may be the breed, it may just be her personality-but as another poster said-it's like having a toddler. I can have nothing chewable below shoulder height (all my remotes are chewed in one way or another). For her it's to get attention and she's figured out that when mommy's in the kitchen, if I get this and run with it, then she'll come catch me-what a great game!

I also get up earlier in the morning to spend time with her because I'm gone during the day. I pay a dogwalker to come walk her because it's not fair to leave her alone for such a long period of time. People at work make fun of me-but I can't go to Happy Hour after work because I have to come home to her. She's also on medication that costs me about $50 per month. I also buy a lot of bones and toys for her because it's cheaper than replacing furniture and she tends to get bored easily.

19. rookieteacher:)

Jan 24, 2011

I am a HUGE believer in rescued animals. My rabbit is also a rescue. That is one of my concerns when getting a dog. She is a larger rabbit and is the same size as the dog I would like to adopt. Although I don't plan on making them best friends I do worry about the dog getting the scent of the rabbit and that being an issue. I also know that having two pets will not be an issue since I can fully commit to both.

My dog would be strictly indoor. I always feel so sad when I see dogs chained up outside all day everyday. Especially in this cold weather.

Part of the reason I want to get a dog is because I am at the point where I can be responsible financially for it but also I can give it the time it needs to be trained and loved since I do not have kids yet.

Thank you to everyone who has responded. There are great points and tips that were brought up! :thanks:

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

Have you researched any about miniature dachshunds and how they interact with other animals? They were bred to be hunters, specifically badger hunters, and they have a pretty intense desire to chase and kill small fuzzy things. I'm sure that's not true of every single one, but it's definitely true of the mini dachshund that I grew up with and the three that my parents have now. None of them would be or would have been able to handle being around anything other than a dog. That's definitely something to consider.

21. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jan 24, 2011

Our dog is also a shelter dog and she is wonderful. Her only "problem" is that she is terrified of loud noises, like thunder and fireworks, but a lot of dogs are. She goes and hides in the shower.
    This is our 2nd shelter dog and I would never have any other kind.

22. rookieteacher:)

Jan 24, 2011

Having a dog and rabbit IS something to consider. My rabbit is caged so she would not be running around the house. In defense of my rabbit she smacked (she literally took her paw and hit my cat in the face) the cat and now the cat is not a problem. Haha.

I am going to look for a dachshund message board now and ask for advice. Time to do some serious research! Another thing I need to think about is the availability of apartments that allow pets.

23. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jan 24, 2011

I am an experienced dog owner. I did the bell thing with my current dog. But anyway, I had a dog as a child and then a maltese (who I recently put down at 15) and now I have a 19 month old Cavalier King Charles. As others have said, there is a lot to consider when adopting a dog, esp. one from a shelter. Research the breed first. More times than not those shelter dogs need just as much training as a new puppy...be prepared.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

I absolutely love my dachshund!!!! I couldn't ask for a better dog, and I've had some really good ones!! I just can't enough good things about mine...as my hubby would atest to. He does annoy the cat a little, but he's great with our daughter.

25. rookieteacher:)

Jan 24, 2011

I did my research. I guess having a rabbit in the same environment would be torturous for the dog. He would be constantly on alert is what I read. :(

I am a little bummed (okay maybe a lot!) but I couldn't be selfish enough to give away my rabbit just so I could get a new pet.

Boo!

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2011

There will be plenty of time for a dog. :)

27. rookieteacher:)

Jan 24, 2011

I know. I appreciate all the help and advice I got. :D

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2011

Oh well, no dog right now. :( I used to have 2 rabbits too (not at the same time & not when I had dogs). Rabbits are really cute too. I've had 2 cats before, but I'm a true dog person.