I Really Need Some Good Advice.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RainStorm, Jul 2, 2019.

1. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 4, 2019

I’m glad you have your doggies with you and that you are settling in well. Wishing you the best!

2. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 5, 2019

Thanks, everyone. I woke up in the middle of the night, and got up. Tomorrow is my first "official" day, and I'm very excited to meet all the other teachers. We got an email late in the evening from the principal telling us that the air conditioning had gone out at the school, and that while repair people would be there first thing in the morning, to be prepared for the heat in the morning at our meeting. I thought that was kind of her to contact us so we could dress appropriately for the heat, and bring water with us.

I just got access to my class roster last night. I was told to expect 16-18 students (but to be prepared for up to 20.) My roster has 19 so far (school actually starts next Monday for the students.) I set up 24 desks just to be on the safe side. I've been practicing saying the names, because some of them are quite unique. I even had 3 of them that I had to look up the gender, because there was no way to tell otherwise.

I'm excited for tomorrow!

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2019

WOW. Welcome to Fla. You seem like a very strong and brave individual. When the AC goes out in Fla it can be interesting. I am glad your new life is helping you get over so much stress from your old life. Teaching can be like therapy. And now you are where so many people want to go visit or retire to. I wish you well on this journey and keep us informed. Our kids go back next Monday and our teachers and staff are doing 7 days of pre-planning. Used to be only 3.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 6, 2019

Thanks, Stephen.
    We have meet the teacher on Thursday night, and the kids start school on Monday, the 12th. Everything is so different at my new school, but many things are so much better that it makes it worthwhile.

stephenpe likes this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 6, 2019

I am so glad that many things are so much better there. Yikes! It is getting closer for both of us! I go into avoidance/ procrastination mode this time of year when it gets too close. :) Once things start back up, I'll get back into the swing of things more. It is amazing how schools can be very different. I have only taught at 3 in my life, but each was very unique. The last 2 schools are total opposites in philosophy which took some getting used to for me. :)

stephenpe likes this.