I really need help with 2 yr olds...

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Ineedhelp, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ineedhelp

Ineedhelp Guest

Oct 15, 2015

Hi, I have been teaching for more than 20 years (4-5 yr olds) but I have been working into a float postion (that's what I want) for the past year. Since sept I have been on my own with a group of 2 year olds. Overall it is going well, but I have been having trouble transitioning from the playground to the classroom. Invariably 1 -2 children will refuse to come to the fence to go inside. I try to help them put away the push toys and send to the fence area, or take the walking rope around with me and call for them to join my train, and positively reinforce the ones that join... but today one little boy flat out refused to comply. He wouldn't even stand up until I started to carry him, but I really don't want to have to do that {I have weak wrists anyway and have to manage the walking rope, clipboard, and first aid bag as well) ANy advice?

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Oct 16, 2015

Oh man, I remember working with tods, & later, 2's!
    Don't you have any help with them? An assistant/co-teacher/anyone?
    I don't remember what we used to do to get them inside from the playground, but I don't remember it being that big of a problem. IF you do have help, have one teacher stand by the door to keep them entertained and corralled in while the other teacher collects the kids that are not listening/coming over.
    If you have a music loving bunch, try a song-transition
    You could also gather those 1-2 kids first and then call for the others.

4. Mr.Me

Mr.Me Rookie

Oct 16, 2015

God bless you! I have a 3 y.o. and a 1 y.o. at home. It's hard enough for me with just them.
    You are a saint. I wish I had some advice to give you. But I really just want to send my admiration of what you do. Thank you.

5. Immerito

Immerito Rookie

Oct 29, 2015

Put the first aid kit and clipboard in a tote bag large enough for both objects. You are likely going to need to keep physically corraling the one or two stragglers until they decide to come when called. So do yourself a favor and keep your hands free.