I really need advice

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Sciteacher7, May 29, 2007.

1. Sciteacher7

Sciteacher7 New Member

May 29, 2007

I am a teacher who has just finished my first year. It was a very sucessful year, and I have been praised by my prinicipal. Unfortunately I have been dealing with personal issues lately. I have a dui on my record and was still hired by the district. Yet, unfortuantely I just recently got another (I was sleeping in my car when the police came). This dui is a blessing in disguise, as I am currently seeking intense treatment, and will use the summer as my rehabilitation time. I'm quite ashamed and saddened by my behavior outside the classroom. But I really want to make things right.

One of my biggest fears is losing my job in the district. I love my job and am good at it. I will most likely be charged with another dui. Have I just destroyed my career? Will I be fired by my district? My biggest concern is getting better right now. However, I really would like to believe that there's hope that I will be able to keep my job. My lawyer feels there is hope that I can keep my job by seeking treatment. However I am terrified and I can't even think about anything else these days.

Is there someone out there with advice or knows about these things? I'm desperate to get some information.

Thank you

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2007

Hi.

No advice, but my sympathies. I know some people who are in AA-- alcoholism is a tough thing to beat. But I know a number of real success stories.

To practicalities: why assume your school will even find out? You're not filling out another job application, so why would they ask? Unless you talk about it, it's entirely possible they'll never know.

Best wishes with your recovery.

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 29, 2007

I'm not sure what position you will be in where you are. To be honest, here, without tenure, they probably wouldn't ask you back. It's a tiny, rural parish and they are pretty strict on things like that. I think it's admirable that you are seeking help and I want to wish you all the best.

5. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

May 29, 2007

In some places, your contract stipulates that you are to inform the administration of any legal proceedings as soon as you know of them. If yours says so, do it. Be relieved that many contracts also say that you cannot be fired if you are seeking treatment.

Congratulations on the decision to seek treatment! It is a positive step in the right direction.

6. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

May 29, 2007

i don't know that i would hide it though...fish around your district.

here, if we don't report an legal incident/arrest within 24 or 48 hours to the office of professional standards, it becomes a MUCH bigger issue. a non-report is grounds for termination.

good luck with your treatment :)

7. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

May 30, 2007

Id say just talk with your union reps...see what they say.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 30, 2007

Oops, sorry if my advice was off. I had no idea you were sometimes required to report things like that.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 30, 2007

You must get treatment and stay in it. Then inform your district of the proceedings. They will find out anyway and its better if you tell them. If you are not rehired then you may have to go somewhere else. I would go to the principal and have long talk. Tell him/her that if you are let go a LOR would be greatly appreciated later on after you have been treated. MY advice is move to where they REALLY need teachers ( if you lose your job) and still tell the truth.
    Alaska comes to mind or remote areas of the midwest. Good luck.
    You can overcome this.

10. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

May 30, 2007

This is so sad. Like Alice said, you have my sympathies as well. And prayers. Beyond that, just want you to remember that no matter what happens, you can always open another door. If the worst happens, do not give up. It will not be the end. There are many, many other careers. Pick up the pieces. Also, like Stephenpe said, you must commit yourself to treatment. In my CJ courses I met and interviewed with so many people whose lives were lost for years because of drug or alcohol addiction. Don't let that happen to you. Think about the ones who love you. God bless you.

11. IwannaTeach

IwannaTeach Rookie

May 30, 2007

I heard

I heard from the hr department at my district that they do not fire teachers for 1 or 2 misdemeanor dui's, especially if they are seeking treatment. Felony misdemeanors are more serious. As long as you didn't hurt someone. I found out this because of my dui.

I don't know if anyone else has had this experience?

Hope this helps! Good luck!

12. CalTeacher

CalTeacher Rookie

May 30, 2007

It'll be ok

My advice is to focus on your recovery now. But if you are in good standing in your district/school, no one was hurt in the incident, and you get help, I doubt you would be let go. Your district will find out, but just be honest. Worst case, there are many other teaching jobs out there, like in LA or San Bernadino unified (I see that you are in california).

13. Sciteacher7

Sciteacher7 New Member

Jun 1, 2007

Thanks

Thanks for the responses. It seems that my biggest issue would be dealing with the CCTC. The district is only contacted if the CCTC does so.

Hopefully it will be a very enlightening and productive summer. Any other advice or input would be appreciated.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

Working in your favor is the fact that science is a high-need subject area (I'm assuming you've polished off your subject-matter competence requirement) and the fact that you've already apparently taken steps toward treatment.

Please keep us informed as to how things go for you.

15. radan2

radan2 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

Why DUI when you were asleep?

Were you pulled off on the road shoulder but still on the road right-of-way, so that your car posed a hazard to the traffic? Did you fall asleep while driving and have to be pulled over?

If you were off the road in a parking lot and simply asleep in your car, I don't see how they can charge you with DUI. Trespassing on the lot, if the business was shut, would be possible.

When I was younger, I often slept in my car during trips because I could not afford a motel. I have been awakened and told that the parking lot's owner wanted me to leave. On one occasion, when I told the deputy why I was sleeping in my car, he led me to the parking lot beside the sheriff's office and told me I could sleep there.

I am not sure where you are and what the DUI laws for that area are. This is not a flame, I am just interested in the circumstances.

Jim Wayne

16. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 7, 2007

My friends' husband got a DUI by just putting his key into the drivers door -- intention to drive. Sleeping in the drivers seat while drunk with car keys can also be seen as an intention to drive.