I really miss the kids!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by showmelady, Jun 18, 2016.

1. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jun 18, 2016

I can't wait for school to start again! I really miss the kids.

I love it when I see them at Walmart, or the mall. I wish school was year-round!

3. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 19, 2016

I do miss my kids and I absolutely love my job, but I for one am very happy it's summer. I wouldn't be able to sustain any level of energy when I'm with the kids if I didn't have these breaks. I need this time to recharge and regroup. Plus, this gives me time to do some work to get ready for next year (not that I've done any yet, but it'll happen eventually - ha!)

Luv2TeachInTX likes this.
  4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2016

I had a class of kids who connected perfectly with my personality, which led to a spectacular year. Loved it, hated saying goodbye at the end. That being said, I know I'll forever be their teacher, even though we've passed through the year, and I think that's allowed me to take more solace in the year being over and move onto making next year ten times better for my next group of kiddos.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  5. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 19, 2016

I stopped missing them after 2 years - I realized that most of them would just start blowing me off when they saw me around the school campus. :( There are a few that stop by and it's really exciting to see them, but overall I enjoy summer as a time to live my own life and catch up on lesson planning and other new ideas.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 19, 2016

I don't really miss anyone over the summer because I see the same students next year and the next year...I still have many years with the same group until they graduate.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2016

Nope. I've been out 2 days. I do get restless during the summer. And I love my job. But I never ever not ever wish school would start soon or for year round school. We work REALLY hard during the school year. My husband, who is not a teacher, says we pack a year of work into 10 months. I'm more than happy to sleep late, go on morning runs, tend my garden, sit on the sand, drink margaritas, read lots of books...September will be here soon enough

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    nstructor and otterpop like this.
  8. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 20, 2016

Not wishing to go back anytime soon - but I'll be ready in September!

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 20, 2016

You'd get over it pretty quickly if you worked at a year round school like I do. Be thankful you have time away from students.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 20, 2016

I thought I would miss the kids once upon a time, but now, not so much. I NEED the break from the craziness and mayhem. Guess you can tell my "kiddos" aren't the sweet and cute kind. The most I can hope for is to be recuperated enough to battle some more by September.

11. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 20, 2016

Same.

I give a year's worth of effort in 10 months for sure. During the school year, I don't really cook (which I enjoy), read books for pleasure, do craft projects... normal hobbies that many people do year round. I'm trying to find a better work-life balance, and I really love my job, but boy, do I need that time in the summer to recharge and remember who I am outside of teaching.

czacza likes this.
  12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 21, 2016

I tell the kids I'm going to miss them, and when I'm looking at them during those last weeks of school and having them write letters to their future selves and me writing one to them... I am thinking about how I'll miss them and wish I could time capsule this moment.

But as soon as the bell rings that last time, I honestly don't think about them much anymore. And it feels GREAT, not waking up at 5:00am every morning having 31 kids on your mind. Now when I wake up... I just go back to sleep!

nstructor, czacza and TnKinder like this.
  13. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Jul 10, 2016

Since I work as a sub I am not with the same class all the time, but I do cover just about everything (except I try not to do middle school math and science, since when I learned those subjects it was VERY different). But I have done most everything else, music, art, PE, all elementary and middle school grades, exceptional students, difficult students. But the really nice thing is, they ALL seem to remember me and I often see them at stores, restaurants etc, and they all say hello, want to talk about school, introduce me to their parents. Our schools start back in early August and I can't wait! Even though I only sub, I do a REALLY lot of days each year. I don't like getting up at 5:00 am, but once out of bed I am pretty pumped up!@

14. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jul 10, 2016

5 weeks of summer vacation, I am ready to go.

15. Caramac48

Caramac48 Rookie

Jul 13, 2016

As a sub I feel exactly the same way, just in Walmart this morning and one of my kiddos saw me and introduced me to her parents. I am enjoying the summer, with no 5am wake ups and actually being able to catch up on reading and the million of other things that need doing. I am also making a lot of progress on my obtaining my teaching credentials, nearly ready to take my last two exams. One thing I am missing, however, is a paycheck!

16. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2016

I cried like a baby on the last day of school, but I am definitely enjoying my summer vacation right now. We went to the beach for 5 days/4 nights and it was lovely! We might go to Guanajuato for a couple of nights and I am really excited for that too. I'll be fine when the school year begins again, BUT, for now, I am happy. :)