I really just don't think I can do it much longer...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Feb 22, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 22, 2012

Having one of those days... :( This job is so exhausting. I had a conference this morning with a mom who cried the entire time. Her son is falling further behind, and they are going to begin LD testing soon.

I just hate feeling like I can never do anything right. I worked 80 hours last week between both of my jobs. I can't think of one time when I was told, "Hey, great job," but I can think of at least 6 situations where I was being told that I should be doing something more, something better, something else instead of this or that.

And how is it that one teacher can have 1/3 of her class (8 kids) on an IEP with no support in the classroom?!! Well, DUH, I can't do everything perfectly-I'M NOT A MAGICIAN!!!

If the next 26 years of my life are going to be this stressful, I need to get out of this profession soon. :(

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Feb 22, 2012

I am sorry...since I am not in your class, I don't know what it is you are doing correctly; but I am sure there is something. I understand your frustration. Feel free to vent, I will listen.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Feb 22, 2012

No advice, just hugs. Hope tomorrow is a better day.

5. Bear Knuckles

Bear Knuckles Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

That fact that you are frustrated shows that you care. Do your best. That's all anyone can ask for.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Feb 22, 2012

Sometimes changing something can help. A change in grade. A change in school. A change in what kind of position you hold. Have you ever taught the older kids? I taught kinder for a couple of years before I moved up to fifth and I loved it.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Feb 22, 2012

Huge hugs, Pigeon. I am having one of those weeks. Well, two of those weeks. I've been so stressed, feeling like I'm not meeting my boss' expectations, hearing things second hand from the people I'm managing, not finding the ideas I need... it gets to be too much. But today my boss came over and sat down and said she could see I was implementing the changes she had asked for, and in that moment-it all felt ok. I'm back to being stressed, but the one word made it all ok for a moment. After 2 weeks of 'not good enough' over and over.

So maybe your one moment is coming soon. As for me, I see you as one of the most respectable posters on this forum-I love reading your advice and ideas, and I know that you put everything you have in to your classroom and students. So from me to you-here's your one moment. You are good enough, and we love you. ;)

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 22, 2012

Hang in there, Pigeon. :hugs:

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

We all here know that you are a great teacher doing what is best for your students! I can hear that much in your posts.

1/3 of your class on an IEP is exactly how my class sounds everyday. I'm lucky enough to get an assistant sometimes throughout the day.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

I'm right there with you. Let's both hang in there, okay?

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 22, 2012

It's really been one of those years, hasn't it!? :|

I always remind myself of the Teddy Roosevelt quote "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are". There are only so many hours in the day, only so much you can do. I agree with the others that we all know you are definitely making a difference, maybe that's not apparent every day-but you are.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 22, 2012

I'm there, too. It's one thing if we could expect more or less the same thing every year, but we've been warned there will be more paperwork, more hoops, more everything next year. It's exhausting just to think about it.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 22, 2012

:yeahthat:

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 22, 2012

Thank you so much, everyone. I knew venting for a bit on here would make me feel better. :)

After school I called the mom who was crying in my room this morning, and I think we both felt better. I just hate feeling like I am failing kids and never doing enough. That's one of the reasons this profession can be so tough...There is always something more you could be doing, and when you don't hear "Hey, you're doing a good job!" you start to get really hard on yourself. (At least I do!)

Tonight I left work at 4:30, went to the gym, and ate a homemade dinner with my boyfriend. I was home before 10 for the first time in weeks, and it has felt so good. Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone!

15. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Feb 22, 2012

:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::

Try to make a list of what you are doing well this year. Sometimes we get overwhelmed with the craziness and lose track of what is going well.
    Hang in there! Better days will come:)

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 22, 2012

DrivingPigeon,

I have read a lot of your posts, and I know that you are a good teacher. The stress and time demands are very real to me. I have felt them too as so many other teachers have. You do speak the truth.

I do think that something inside you is saying "Something has to change". This could be one of 4 things:

1. Leave teaching
    2. Change grade levels
    3. Change schools
    4. Stay in teaching at your school, and make big changes this summer so next year will look very different. (This might mean working a lot this summer in your 2nd job so you can work that 2nd job less next year).

Only you can know which one is best for you and where the problem is coming from. Possibly that 2nd job is too much. If time is really the problem, then solution #2 and #3 won't help much by themselves.

I wish you the best for the rest of this school year. I pray that you will find a decision that will be best for you.

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Feb 22, 2012

I feel the same way every day. :hugs:

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 22, 2012

And that is why I keep my little notebook full of nice letters from students and parents as well as any compliments from administration or other teachers. It really helps on those rough days, especially after a parent meeting.

19. MsKayy

MsKayy Rookie

Feb 22, 2012

So sorry you are feeling this way, I'm sure the members of this forum have some wonderful advice to offer, in the mean time I'll be sending hugs & wishes that it gets better soon!

20. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 23, 2012

Teachers are the best! You are the best! Your posts are always filled with wonderful advice and comments. Sorry that you are having a difficult year. I sometimes think that if parents, administrators, politicians, ect... could spend a month or so in a real public school classroom as the teacher and experience the stress that is involved, then attitudes and real change could be possible. It is only those who are or have been teachers that really know what other teachers are going through that truly understand. I recently was reading the comments following an article on CNN.com explaining that some states are being allowed to drop the NCLB legislation. The comments following the article were disturbingly inaccurate and full of distain for teachers. It is heart breaking!

21. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 23, 2012

You took the words right out of my mouth! I'm sorry you're having a rough patch. Hugs. May isn't that far away. ;)

Glad you're feeling better!

Beth

22. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 23, 2012

Thanks again, everyone...Really! You made me feel a lot better. :)

I spoke with my principal today after school about a few of my students who are struggling, and how I feel like I'm never doing enough for them, and she made me feel a lot better. She assured me that I am doing a good job, and supported me in some tough decisions I have had to make lately. I thanked her for being my "sounding board" and for being so supportive.

I still feel very burnt out, though. Thankfully, tomorrow is a half day, and I am going to spend the other half of the day catching up. Also, this week I am having a root canal and, and I plan on spending the day in my PJ's watching TV! Mental health day! :)

23. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2012

I'm glad that your principal listened and gave you support. And mental health days are definitely necessary! Enjoy the day!