I really hope I made the right decision

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Rainbowbird, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 13, 2012

In taking the LTS third grade job (goes from August to late March) instead if holding out to see if I got the contracted preschool job.

The only thing that bugs me is that I missed out on the chance for a contract, but the reality is that I really felt more comfortable going back to third grade, which I used to teach before I had kids. The LTS job is also a lot closer to my house. And the district in which I will be working is more stable and has a better administration. The committee and principal appeared to have fallen in love with me, and that usually bodes well. There were things that worried me about the other school, like the number of layoffs they had last year, and the fact that the super is in big trouble.

All indicators point to the fact that I have made the right choice. I just hope it leads to something permanent. I do not want to be "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" if you follow me.

When I told the principal of the contracted job that I had accepted the other position, he wrote back that he understood and that "the other district is very lucky".

Thanks for listening. My husband is pretty sick of hearing about all this!

3. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 13, 2012

I understand the "always a bridesmaid" sentiment.
    I had a para job, lost it due to budget cuts and now have a LTS for a maternity leave. Now I got a call to interview for a para position. Do I take the para or keep the LTS? Same school so that's a plus. I hate second guessing myself.
    I think you made the right choice, teaching elementary instead of preschool.

4. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 13, 2012

It is always tough... when the choices are that close, I always opt for the one that would give me the most money and benefits. You cannot go wrong there!

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2012

Don't second guess yourself. You had lots of good reasons for your choice.

"Shoulda coulda woulda" will only keep you awake at night. Instead, enjoy the job you've chosen.

6. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2012

:hugs: I think you made the right choice for you based on your reasons.

7. WanderinTeacher

WanderinTeacher Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

Sounds like you had good reasoning and with your explanation, I would have made the same decision.

8. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 13, 2012

8 months of joy beats out 10 months in hell.

9. SeñoritaM

SeñoritaM Rookie

Aug 13, 2012

^This. :)

My philosophy on things like this is to just remember that you (I'm assuming :p) weighed the choices carefully, went with what your gut told you, and now need to move forward with no regrets. :) The decision has been made, so you should start thinking ahead instead of backwards.

Instead of worrying about the past, be excited and get ready for the job ahead of you (which I'm sure you will love!)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

I agree! Don't look back, look ahead!

11. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

Thanks, everyone. My family and friends agree. Teacher friends I know who have worked in my region think I was wise to avoid the other district.

I am going to forge ahead with a positive attitude and enjoy the many pros that are associated with the district where I'll be working. And one retired friend told me that she went to her district for two months to sub, and ended up staying for thirty years!

12. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 14, 2012

Yes, I did. It was also an issue of bird-in-the hand since district A wanted an answer on Monday and district B wouldn't have made a decision til prob. Tue. or Wed. So...I really didn't want to gamble and possibly end up with nothing this late in the game!

A friend who is a retired p. actually told me to accept the LTS job and then quit if offered the other job. But I really didn't feel right doing that. First of all, I would feel awful. Secondly, I really liked the LTS principal and school. Thirdly, this is a rural area and everyone knows everyone....I could have gotten RIF'd next year from the contract job and then would have possibly burned bridges with the LTS district, which is a desirable place to work....so....I did the best I could!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012