I really blew it

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TemperanceFaith, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I feel sick. I am such an idiot.

I stupidly, STUPIDLY sent an email to both the Principal and HR about the position posting that I was hired for.

I received an email back from the Principal this morning telling me that while he appreciates my passion and excitement at the offering of the position, he was still trying to work things out with the district, and was basically going to earmark and slip me into the position without all the district involvement, etc...and now by emailing HR pointing out this whole thing, it made some waves for him and the person in HR trying to sqeak me by district politics, AND now he might have to interview all the candidates they have for the position because of me. He said that he has always been upfront and honest with me, and communicated with me, and that is not going to change, but in the future, I need to understand how the heirarchy of things work. :(

He did not say that I no longer have the position, but I am willing to bet I don't now because he probably thinks I am a **** stirrer and I am so far from that.

I wrote him an email apologizing profusely, and explaining that I had no idea how these things work, that I was just genuinely concerned, but had no idea what an issue that email would cause, and that I am not someone who rocks the boat. I was just excited about this chance, and now I am sad that I might not get that chance, but it was never my intention to cause any problems for him.

I ruined my chance. I don't know how I am going to tell everyone. I
    know he did not say I did not get it, but I probably am going to get his hand slapped by admininstration, and who would hire someone who did that, even unintentionally?

I want to sit here and cry.

3. MrTeacher

MrTeacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

I think that he would still want to hire you. Honestly they should know that people newer to the field have no idea about the background politics that go on... and it's very different district to district.

If they can't get past an honest mistake made by a passionate and eager person, then I'd be wary of that place.

When I did my student teaching, the teachers were all really great, but the administration was quite lacking and didn't support the teachers at all. It really made me realize how much school politics there are.

Hoping for the best for you! Keep your head up =P

4. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

What makes me feel more stupid is that I have heard and KNOW about district politics. I have friends that are teachers. I have family members that are teachers AND administrators. I have professors who have been teachers and administrators. I just didn't think this through. It did not even cross my mind that he would get into trouble by my email. I never did anything to intentionally hurt anyone, or to "go above him" Now he will get spanked because he hired who he wanted, not necessarily who they gave him. I appreciate that he wants me. I just hope he still does after this.

5. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I just can't take this roller coaster ride. I just spent an hour crying like a baby at my stupidity, but I got an email back from the Principal saying he is sure everything is going to work out fine, and he would like me to attend a school meeting next week, am I available!

So now I am feeling better, albeit still a little like the Queen of Impulsive Dumbasses.

I just want this to be done, to work out, to have my job and let life progress. I used to love rollercoasters but I don't anymore.:p

6. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 18, 2008

chalk this one up to a life lesson learned at the University of Hard Knocks. Don't fret about it at all. I know I always hate it when people tell me this, BUT...everything happens for a reason. Ride this one out and, whatever happens, you'll be better off in the end.

7. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I am definitely storing this in the vault of "Things not to do"

It was my first hand look at what everyone had told me about as far as admin issues. I guess it is my baptism by fire so to speak, but it would have been nice to at least get my **** feet in the door before it happened, you know? Now I just feel like an ass.

8. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

Welcome to school politics. It is really a shame that the principal felt he had to hire the best person for the job behind people's backs. You were promised the job,and it sounds like the principal will stick up for you.Attend the meeting next week,and act as if the position is yours.Stick up for your rights. Good Luck.

9. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

That is exactly what I plan to do. I know I am qualified, I know I am a great candidate for the position, and I have definitely proven I have passion,:rolleyes: So all I can do is smile and be confident and let this whole thing play out the way it is meant to play out. I just hate this whole wait and see thing, especially when school starts in two weeks. I know there is going to be a lot of things I have to tend to before then, such as a physical, drug testing, etc. And that means this is all going to be done at the last possible second, meaning I will be running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Fortunately I have all the other aspects of my life organized. I have all my textbooks for college purchased and ready to go, my kids school shopping is done, and so I will have the time to run around at the last minute. I just don't usually operate that way. I like things organized, even chaotically, I still am organized in my chaostic life.:D

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 18, 2008

Good luck TemperanceFaith! I bet I would have done the same thing you did if I was left hanging like that. They must realize that people DO need to know if they have a job or not! It's not easy to find jobs in education let alone waiting 2 weeks before school starts. I think you'll do great. Hang in there!

11. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I really did not think I did anything wrong by emailing a "What is going on" email. I was not trying to call anyone out or cause any problems, I was just confused.

My error is that I should have only emailed my Principal and asked him about the posting, not the district HR. He did tell me from the moment there was an issue that he was working behind the scenes to work things out and make sure I had this position, and I should have just ignored the posting and let no news be good news. I let my anxiousness get the best of me, though. But as you pointed out, it is now August 18th. School begins here in two weeks. In that time I have to go through whatever required steps there are in the HR process, such as fingerprinting, physicals, etc..and all of those things are appointment-based. It is just a close to the wire thing, and I do not like to procrastinate that way, because I have learned by experience that it does not work for me very well.:whistle:

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2008

:hugs: Faith! I know that this has been a hard experience to go through. It is sad when things like this happen, but that is the nature of the beast when it comes to school politics.

13. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I tried not to say anything to my husband, but he looked at my face and he knew something was wrong, and I burst out crying. He had even told me the other night when I saw the posting to hold off emailing anyone until I heard from someone, and I didn't listen. :(

He said he understands being anxious, but this is why I need to be patient and not worry so much, and that no matter what, at least I know I was very wanted for this position, and I have learned a very valuable lesson regardless of what happens. He said I had no way of knowing what was going on behind the scenes, and as someone else on here pointed out, it is a shame that the Principal has to go to this extreme to get the people he wants in positions, but it is the nature of the beast, and its not like no one told me about this side of the profession, it still does not make me feel less stupid or sad.

14. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

Don't be too hard on yourself. Everyone feels like they've blown it a time or two! It's very difficult (impossible) to do and say the exact right thing 100% of the time. Take a deep breath ... let it go ... and see how it pans out. You might be happily surprised - or you might learn what not to do next time. We've all been there.

15. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

Well it looks like it might work out. I received an email from Human Resources and they said that the same person the Principal had said would be in contact with me, will be calling me to set up a time for new hire paperwork, and that they have my information,etc.

That, combined with the meeting I am attending next week seems to me that it will be ok, but I definitely dodged a bullet and almost ruined my chances by not thinking before I acted.

I will let you know when I do know something for sure, though. Because if there is one thing I have learned its that this really is a roller coaster ride and one can never be too sure about what is going to happen until it happens,:lol:

16. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 18, 2008

What a ride! Praying for things to SMOOTHLY work out for you... sounds like things are on the right track!

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

God grants us patience....

and it doesn't come by fax
    thru the ATM
    or...an email...

good luck my friend...

things happen for a reason...

another biggie.... never ever send home a parent note without letting P see it first.

now you see how things work. checks and balances.

btw...nobody calls or visits admin or HR until they come in, or they are going out...:unsure:

that is just an unwritten rule in school politics. yes, I learned the hard way myself..

18. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Aug 18, 2008

:hugs: It sounds like everything will work out, but boy, you've been through quite the time!

19. BerniceBobs

BerniceBobs Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

You made an honest and understandable mistake.
    Please don't beat yourself up over it--it's not like you committed a crime and did this with malice or intent. And I bet the principal gets this. Seriously, it sounds like something I would do.

20. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2008

It's time to send a big vase of flowers to your principal and bigger box of chocolates to who ever is the HR person :) I haven't gotten involved in any school politics yet--- I've sorta have seen some while student teaching and some off comments from some people I work with--- but I know it can be scary.

Something I remember from student teaching (which I think might still apply to actually teaching):
    "You are the newbie--- you are there to listen, observe, and do what you're told. Do not upset the teacher who owns that classroom--- do everything they say when they say it and do it correctly." So I learned to only do something when I'm contacted about it--- until I learn the people I work with, what is expected of me, and what I can get away with :D

I'm glad this worked out for you--- I'm sure you'll continue to thank the principal when you get to see him next time :)

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2008

And...never say anything to the secretary that you don't want the world to know.

Never skip her/him...make sure they see everything before it goes to principal.

Always ask secretary if they want lunch or something when you are going out. that way she will not notice when you come back late.

:p

22. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2008

Fingers are crossed for you. We all make mistakes and learn from them and this was a learning experience for you. I hope everything works out! Please keep us posted!!!!!

23. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

I love this place. :wub: Thank you for helping me get through a tough time. I am so glad I found this site a year ago. The people and advice I have received have been priceless.

It definitely has been a whirlwind, but my life seems to carry that dramatic flair as a constant theme, so I guess there is no reason to expect it to stop now.:rolleyes::haha:

24. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 19, 2008

Please try and calm down. I have been teaching for twenty years and if you let every thing that doesn't go your way in the school system drive you crazy you will be a good candidate for a nervous breakdown. I'm glad things seem to have worked out in obtaining your job and good luck in the coming school year.

25. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Just wanted to say good luck...it looks positive to me so I hope it really is! :)

26. TemperanceFaith

TemperanceFaith Comrade

Aug 19, 2008

Yank, I was no doubt thrown by this particular situation, but I am no stranger to stress, especially in the workforce. I was previously a Realtor, so that should tell you something;)

I think what got me the most rattled was the whole, "We would like to offer you the job" then the "We are not sure there IS a job" then the "Well, there is a job but you have to be patient" then the "Well, we'll just post YOUR job on the very public district job board and hope you understand that it is not what it seems"

I am one of those people who believes what people say. I take things for what they are. I don't like flip flopping, and I have to be honest, more than one teacher friend and professor friend has told me that because I am such an out of the box thinker, the one thing that may hurt and/or drive me out of this field completely is going to be district/admin issues like this.

The fact is, I love kids, I love the profession of teaching, it is what I know I am and will be good at, so you have to take the good with the bad, and that is what I am going to try to do. It does not mean I am not going to come on here and vent like everyone else does from time to time, but I am not worried about having a nervous breakdown; believe me, if that was meant to happen to me, I would be committed by now and happily making baskets. :p