I-Ready

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by rdrbee, Jun 29, 2015.

1. rdrbee

rdrbee Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

My school is considering giving the i-Ready benchmark assessments. Does anyone have any experience/info. about it?

3. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 29, 2015

My district uses I-Ready to benchmark reading and math. Students also progress monitor on it every 2 weeks. The assessments are really long especially for younger students taking about 40 minutes to complete.
    The data however is really good. It's easy to group students for RTI based on skill and tiers. There are also lessons for each skill that can be printed for small group instruction.

4. rdrbee

rdrbee Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for your reply. How long do the progress monitoring assessments take? Are they 40 minutes long also?

5. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 29, 2015

The progress monitoring depends on the student. The program progressed monitored according to sub skills that the students had not mastered. So student A can progress monitor on one sub skill, while student B does it on three. I-Ready also adapts to the student, so the more questions answered correctly the harder the questions become, and the reverse is also true. The longer they're on the program the better they are answering and the higher the score.

6. rdrbee

rdrbee Rookie

Jun 29, 2015

Thanks for the info.!

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jun 29, 2015

I don't have it at my school, but a teacher friend of mine absolutely loves it. She feels it is very helpful. She teaches 4th grade at a K-5 school.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 29, 2015

We piloted it at the end of the year. It is awesome! The recommended time is 40 minutes a week per subject. The detailed reports you can print are so helpful for RTI.

9. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2015

I love the reports that i-Ready provides for parents, teachers, and administrators.

We've gotten a great response from parents about the detailed student reports. It lists their strengths and weaknesses along with ways they can help their child improve.

Additionally, the system shows if a child rushed through their test. If they rush, I can reset their test and they have to retake it. Actually, when I look at the reports, I email the teacher and say, "I can see that so-and-so rushed. I'm going to have them retake it, but send them to my office so I can give them a reminder to take their time because I can see their test results!"

This year, my goal is to move away from printing the parent reports for teachers and have them do it on their own. It is time consuming for me to do and I've gotten them too spoiled!

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2015

Isn't this a neat feature?! :thumb: