I Passed The CBEST!

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by dbesq00, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dbesq00

dbesq00 Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

I am a native New Yorker. I knew nothing about the CBEST until approximately 2 months ago. I studied, "The Princeton Review, Cracking the CBEST" materials. I reviewed ALL of the questions and I read most of the tips. I PASSED ON MY FIRST ATTEMPT! This study guide is AWESOME! I highly recommend it. Now it's on to the CSET. Good luck to all CBEST candidates. :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 4, 2006

Well done, dbesq00! New Yorkers get to deal with the Regents exams, if memory serves, so I'm not as surprised as you are that you passed. You'll find the math and reading-comprehension review you've already had will stand you in good stead on CSET, if you're taking CSET Multiple Subjects. And the test-management skills are skills you'll want to pass on (appropriately adapted) to your future students.

4. dbesq00

dbesq00 Rookie

Jan 4, 2006

Thank you, TeacherGroupie. I am taking the Single Subject Math Subtests I & II. I will certainly heed your advice.

I'll keep you posted!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 5, 2006

Single subject math is another matter entirely, but you probably already know that. I trust you've visited the Single Subject Tests forum...

6. nalasis

nalasis New Member

Jan 21, 2006

CBEST math

Hi,
    I wanted to know if anyone has any good suggestions for review of the CBEST math portion of the exam which I haven't passed. I'm planning to take it again next month and wanted to know if any crash courses work. I'm open to any suggestions you may have. I'm also reviewing material online through math websites.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2006

How close have you come, and what do the performance indicators (bottom left corner of the score report) say about how you did?

8. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Jan 21, 2006

The key to CBEST math is repetition. Because you have already taken CBEST, you have a good idea about what kind of math problems you will see. Find a good book that explains the concepts and has lots of practice problems and do them, over and over again, word problems, too. The only specific advice I can offer is to learn about ways of reporting standardized test results like stanine, percentile and grade equivalent. These show up sometimes. But otherwise it is all basic math.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2006

Well, and the score report DOES contain some helpful information to guide one's focus.