I passed my CSET english on the first try (Advice for those taking the CSET English test)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by noah stopkotte, May 2, 2022.

1. noah stopkotte

noah stopkotte Rookie

May 2, 2022

Hello,

I have been lurking on these threads for a while searching for advice about the English CSET. I was able to pass my first try and got my results back this past Friday! I majored in Accounting in college, so I was pretty nervous it would be difficult for me to pass the exam. After the exam, I had a lot of doubt, and I was afraid I failed at least one section.

Here is some advice I have for those taking the exam in the future. I started studying about 3 months in advance using the REA test book. I read all the chapters first. After this, I started studying Quizlet’s for each individual subtest online. I study each of them multiple times starting with terms and then definitions. I found the Elmers guide stickied to these threads to be very helpful and studied those as well. I took a bunch of tests in my practice book and online, and I practiced writing responses to subtest 3 and 4. I highly recommend working on writing speed for these sections in addition to writing quality. Finally, don’t stress if you feel like you failed the test after and have faith in yourself.

3. noah stopkotte

noah stopkotte Rookie

May 2, 2022

Some more info you might find useful:

Before the exam I was scoring around 90% on the tests in my REA book and around 80% to 85% on the tests I found online. On the exam I wrote around 600-700 words for the essays on subtest 3. For the first essay on literary analysis, I wrote an intro, several paragraphs comparing and contrasting the 2 different works, and a conclusion. For the second essay on rhetorical devices, I wrote an intro, several paragraphs identifying rhetorical devices and fallacies, and a conclusion where I addressed whether the author successfully made their points using rhetoric and something that could have been changed. I used the example essays in the REA book and copied the structure and style.

4. noah stopkotte

noah stopkotte Rookie

May 2, 2022

Also in hindsight, I would have split the tests up and taken 1/3 together then 2/4 another time.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 3, 2022

This bit of advice should help a lot of the teacher candidates who seem to take the tests multiple times - and time is the one thing that can really make or break an otherwise well prepared candidate. My son had to take the VCLA for his license in Virginia, and it is a formidable test for many. Since my son is blind in one eye and a somewhat slow reader, I convinced him to split the test and take it in two sessions, a Saturday and Sunday. It was money well spent. On each day, he worked right up till the end of the 4 hour test time, simply doing half of the test. There is no way that he would have passed both parts of the exam in four hours, so simply commiting to the needed time from the point of registration saved money and anxiety. I should also note that the extra time he used ended up with much higher scores than the norms, a boost in confidence, and pride in his own efforts. Parents can't help but appreciate building self confidence!

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  6. noah stopkotte

noah stopkotte Rookie

May 3, 2022

Yeah, I was expecting to have a little bit more break time, but I only finished 1 section early enough to grab a sip of water and quickly use the restroom. 4 hours straight through will really mentally drain you, and you need to be all there to perform well on the subtests with essays.

Considering the $75 fee per subtest, it’s really not worth risking your money for the convenience of only attending one test session. Glad your son passed and took your advice!

7. MelissaHeld

MelissaHeld New Member

May 17, 2022 at 1:01 PM

Thank you a lot for providing such information! I've not taken that test yet, and your tips, I think, will be helpful for me! I'm stressed not because of the exam but because of writing. For me, it has always been quite problematic to write papers, and plus, it will be an exam, so I'm afraid to fail. For now, when I have trouble writing uni papers, I always use the help of https://ca.edubirdie.com/essays-for-sale when I need assistance, but I'll have to write during the exam myself. So now, all the free time I dedicate to practicing, and I really hope I'll succeed.

Last edited: May 18, 2022 at 6:26 AM