I opened a little gift this morning...ADHD Assessment

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lemonhead, Jan 15, 2009.

1. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Thank you Lord.

This morning I had an email with an attachment that was a Vanderbilt Assessment for ADHD from one of my parents.
    I almost cried.

Huge background on this but basically it is time. Mom has the oldest son on meds and was holding out on giving them to this son. I know how she feels, I really do. His behaviors though are horrible. Kids like him now but are getting sick of him and his actions.

I just filled out the questionaire. She has to do her side and then take it to the doc so I am crossing my fingers it happens. We'll see. I went through this with her before with a Conner's test only to have her put him on herbal supplements.

Those of you who have followed a couple of my threads know I have my hands full with the boys in my class. .

I do feel sad for the Mom though (Dad and DS1 are already on meds). I remember when I had to put my son on meds when he was in first. It was not good at first. But once we found the right medicine, he was much more normal. He grew out of his impulsiveness. Maybe that will happen with this little boy.

Sorry to ramble. I feel a little sad and glad.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 15, 2009

Aw, lemon: here's a hug.

May what really should happen for this kid happen for him.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

It is sad, but think about it in terms of his classmates because when his peers can't stand him that begins to effect his sense of self-worth. I'm not an advocate for medication at all but there are some kids who just have to have it to get through the day and it helps his classmates & teacher survive too.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

That is exactly how I feel Hoot.

Thanks TG.

Hopefully she will go the distance on it.

6. teacher143

teacher143 Rookie

Jan 15, 2009

I am happy for you.
    I am just wondering, if its not too personal, how long did it take for your son to outgrow his impulsiveness?

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 17, 2009

Lemon it is great that the parents are finally realizing that their child needs some help!!!!!

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

Not too personal at all. A good year after being on meds. Here is the story if you care to read it.

In kinder he got his folder signed 2 or 3 times a week. Excessive talking, licking a student on the shoulder (!), shouting out answers, disturbing other students etc. He was a fast finisher and very bright. They tested him for GT and he was. So that unveiled that part of it was bordom and being ahead of the class. Whatever, I still felt horrible about him getting in trouble all the time.

Then in 1st, his teacher was able to handle him better but still. Not so good. Through all this time, we went back and forth with the pediatrician. Finally, after talking to the wonderful P about ADD abd hearing some stories, my husband and I decided to put him on meds. :unsure: (I can tell you that, as a parent, the main reason we did this is because we felt it was hurting his friendships-everyone knew he was a shouter outer, had to sit in the hall a lot etc. That really cut deep inside.)

First round was adderall. This took away his little personality. I used to read Harry Potter books to him every morning real early before school. Once on the Adderall (sp) he just sat there jaw clenched. Wouldn't say a word. Obviously that was no good so we switched to Ritilin, but we only gave him the morning dose. He was not bad at home at all, it was just that school setting.

Then in 2nd grade, he was in a much higher class. His teacher kept him busy with contract work etc. He was also allowed to do special GT projects and some was done in the classroom. We took him off that year.

9. Arky

Arky Comrade

Jan 18, 2009

I also hate it when parents think you want the meds to make your life easier! I do not every suggest meds. I have found that some students do not seem to need the medication they are on. When they forget their meds I cannot tell it, but I also have some that when they do not have their medication they cannot function.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jan 18, 2009

Lemon

11. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 18, 2009

Oh, I bet the parents know the child needs something, they just don't want to mess with the medications.

I remember one year in middle school, I didn't want Kevin back on Adderall. Instead, I got him to drink some coffee before he left for school each day. Between his clownishness and the prodding he got from classmates, his teacher started calling. Several times, lol.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 18, 2009

I had a 6 year old who came to my class last February unmedicated. He was constantly swearing, hitting, kicking, crying, not wanting to particpate in activities but couldn't just sit with the other students without touching them, spitting on them... An adult had to sit beside him in order for him to join the group without incident or do any work. He started off this year on medication and WOW what a huge difference. He didn't want an adult to sit with him while he was working and he was able to sit with his peers without any support. He was an active member in our classs. Well...his parents stopped medicating him in November because he didn't want to take it and it has been h*ll since then. He is worse than last year and even with lowered expectations (completing 3 questions in order to get his choice of a break) he spends half of his day in time out. The other students don't want to sit beside him b/c of his spitting or threatening to hit them when he gets upset.