I never have enough grades!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 17, 2010

I'm looking for ways to get more grades, especially in Sc and SS.
    I always have plenty of grades for reading and math (and usually writing) but I feel like I'm always short on grades otherwise.

Last quarter I had a few kids miss honor roll because of a C in SS - no doubt because I only had 4 grades, and the unit test killed their average. It's not fair to them. Help??

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

I struggle with those two subjects too! Do you do any hands-on experiments in Science? You can count those. My new latest thing last year were our Senteo remotes... I try to give a senteo quiz at least once a week. I love that the grading is already done for me!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2010

Exit slips are great. Students answer one question before transitioning to the next class. I have my students turn them in on different days so I'm only grading a few a day. This could be a daily, weekly, monthly grade...whatever you decide.

In science and social studies, you could give a participation grade. Have the students fill out a reflection sheet and count this as a grade.

5. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

I often add an informal assessment grade to my grades and this often helps my students. For example, when we cover the contienents in social studies, after a few days of going over this, I ask each student to come to my desk privately and name all seven contienents. This was informal quiz. Also are there end of the reading section questions. I usually go over this materaial with the students and maybe a day or two later assigned again and the students turn it in for a grade. but I agree Social studies and science are my lowest quanity of test scores.

6. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2010

I use practice books, journals and student dictionaries for grades. I use special projects grades also, such as poetry assignments, book reports on content related books, and current events assignments. Current events is two grades; writing for how they presented the information and SS for the content.

7. teachinmom

teachinmom New Member

Nov 17, 2010

Have you ever considered using your math and language arts to teach your Social studies and science courses. Having students write about what you are covering in history or science then they get grades for both writing and the other subjects. I often teach my language arts standards through my history and science subjects, due to time constraints and the kids enjoy it.

8. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Nov 17, 2010

sounds like agreat idea. I was going to do a similar project with Math stories and the students will receive two grades one in LA and the other in math.

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 17, 2010

I have my students write about their science investigations. I remind them to use good writing skills, give clear steps, and details about what they observed. You can also do a writing piece about having them do a prediction (have them also explain why they believe something might happen) and then have them go back to their prediction and write about why it was correct or not.

(I've done this for grades 3 to 6--- it also makes a nice homework assignment for the kids too. They always need a lot of time to reflect on their experiments.)

10. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

Yep, what they said! Do math and reading of SS and Sci topics.

Perhaps you can also come up with some alternative homework and projects to add to their grades.

For sci, you might have them come up with a Wonder of the Week. They have to come in with a question (Why is the sky blue, why does my dog walk in a circle before lying down, how does a TV work?) and you get to pick through the responses for something the kids can research or do an experiment to solve.

For SS you can have them bring in current events- articles in the newspaper showing culture, government, community, whatever you are studying. They have to answer who, what, where, when, how.

Don't necessarily have to give worksheets and quizzes to have grades!

11. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 18, 2010

I count writing they do in those subjects as grades a lot. I'll also have them do little projects and grade those. We do a lot of comparisons in SS-past w/present, etc. So often it's hard to even testability to apply those subjects with any reliability with test questions.

I'm in the same boat though-they made an announcement the other day that progress reports were due this week (yes, I should have already known that) and I was like-yikes! Have to catch up on grades. We're required to have 2 per week, per subject.