I need your help!

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by JenPooh, May 9, 2007.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

Ok all you K teachers. I need your help. I have a preschooler who will be going to K this fall. Our kids had K screening last week and they want my oldest girl to go to summer school because she has weak writing skills and her attention span is very short and she rushes through things. This doesn't surprise me much, as I knew her small motor, pencil control, and writing skills were not all that strong. Can you give me some suggestions on some activities I can tell mom to do with her at home to help her out? I gave her some, but I'd like to give her as many as possible.

3. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 9, 2007

I would suggest activities in fine motor skills like lacing, using those twizzer things, and working with playdough.

Just a thought!

4. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2007

Thanks mrsammieb.:) I have discussed her fine motor skills with her mom in the past so hopefully giving her a list with things like that one there will help.

What about helping her how to write? For example, we have been working on writing names for nearly two years now. She still does not know how to properly write her name. She will be 6 this fall and she still struggles to write. And I mean really struggle. We do letter formation activities all the time with various materials and it seems like nothing "sinks in" with her. :(

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

May 9, 2007

To build the strength in her fingers I suggest using clay instead of playdough. Also for holding the pencil another teacher once suggested that the kids use golf pencils that way they have to hold it a certain way and such.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 10, 2007

Sewing is a wonderful way to help with fine motor skills. I suggest the plastic "fabric" that she can make a craft. Clay is wonderful. Also those little plastic circles that you put on a pattern then iron are wonderful. I also think dressing and undressing Barbies are a good way (a doctor pointed this one out to me when I had a student with problems).

7. mrs. makedonsky

mrs. makedonsky Rookie

May 14, 2007

There are in some dollar stores now tiny spring clothespins that would be great for fine motor, as well as tweezers to pick things up and put into something, kids love to do that, wickki sticks are just something fun they can manipulate into letters and shapes (writing). These are just a few I came up with, if I think of more I will let you know.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 14, 2007

My lil one loves to write on the aqua doodle or the magna doodle, fun way to practice those writing skills. It's been awhile since I was in a K room, but I did a copied a big bear & put it on poster board & then used a paper punch around the whole bear tied a piece of yarn at the top & then shoed the how to lace the bear!!! What about paint books...You know they have those paint books where the color "magically" appears or water colors. Finger paints. I know on nice, non windy days we go out & finger paint.

The one my doc said was good was an ice cube. I use to put them on the tray for the lil' one & chase it around!!! She said very good for their skills!!!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 14, 2007

Write on a slant board. Paint so she is using her whole arm (so one an easel). Practice name in shaving cream on the table. Form the letters with clay, than trace the clay letter than write it on paper with pencil (gives more resistance).

10. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

11. teach_kids

teach_kids Rookie

May 15, 2007

I didn't look at any of the previous posts that were linked to this one but interestingly enough we just had an occupational therapist come to our school to do a brief and very quick assessment with our kids. She pointed out that often the children who have problems with writing are ones that need to build up their muscles in their shoulders and arms as well. She suggested doing lots of animal walks with them (crawl like a snake, hop like a frog - hands facing out, like a bunny - hands faced in etc...) and monkey bars, painting on easels... stuff like that.
    I have a child in my class that hates the physical act of writing and can sit for 40 minutes and write 2 words but when I put her on the computer to "write" her story is completed in 10 minutes. That is a child that we are sending for evaluation.
    Maybe in would be helpful to have her evaluated by an occupational therapist or to talk to one and get suggestions on other activities other than the obvious fine motor - playdough etc.
    Hope this ramble helped - and made sense.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 15, 2007

Thank you everyone! :D