I need your help!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by LeilaO, Jul 16, 2006.

1. LeilaO

LeilaO New Member

Jul 16, 2006

Hello~

I am new to this site and looking for Florida teachers to help guide me in the right direction. I am a career changer and hold a BS in interdisciplinary studies humanities.

I would love to obtain my humanities k-12 certification, but what is the realism of a teaching position in that field?

Also, what are the steps to substitute teaching? I would like to get some hands on experience while going through this certification process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I thank you for your time.

Leila

3. TheConspiracy

TheConspiracy Companion

Jul 16, 2006

Leila-

First off - I am not aware of a Humanities K-12 cert. Most certs are divided K-6 and 6-12. But I'm assuming you know which cert you are applying for - so we'll figure that as beside the point.

1) Call the FDOE and have them send you a registration bulletin and a test packet for for your subject area (SAE) (the bulletin costs nothing but the study guide thingy is like $6).

2) Register to take your exam. Study like the dickens to the best of your abilities.

3) If you pass your exam, then you go to the FDOE website and you apply for a temporary certificate with the state (this costs $56). They will require an official copy of your test score and your transcripts. It takes about 2 months to get your letter of eligibility.

4) Once you have your lettr of eligibility - you get on the local county websites and follow their instructions on applying for positions. Each county is different - so I can't help you there.

5) One you have obtained a job, you will be fingerprinted and the school you work for will apply for your temporary certificate (this certificate will be good for 3 years from the july closest to the issue date - you MUST MUST MUST complete all requirements in the time dictated by the DOE in this time or you will not be able to work anymore as a teacher - the certificate is non-renewable)

Within your first year you must pass the general knowledge exam or you will not be eligible to continue teaching. Sooooo- if you have time on your hands now (which you will - since getting a FT teaching position is harder after the school year starts) then I suggest you take it now. Get it out of the way. I still have tot ake mine - which is daunting to think about doing during your first year of teaching.

As for subbing - I hjear ups and downs about this in respect to getting a future job. If you turn out to be a bad sub - all the principals will know and they won't want to hire you on - if you turn out really good then they don't like to give up their best subs. Catch 22 form what I hear. But as I have never subbed - I can't really speak from experience. I have no teaching experience yet that did not hinder me from getting a really good position on my first go during hiring season.

Best of Luck - PM me if you need any help. I just went thru all of this so I can help you cut through the hours of searching the net it took me to make it through the experience.

~J

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2006

Hi, Leila, and welcome to AtoZ. I'm in FL, but I teach in a private school.